new law in Ontario re GPS in the car

Jeeez.
Headset or not, talking on a cell phone will make you miss exits...don't ask me how I happen to know that.!!:D Texting is just plain stupid...in my humble opinion. No one on the planet needs a reply that freaking fast.!! especially on the 400 series of hwys in the GTA or any other major met centre.
cheers,
stk

I agree. I've experienced it. 'Zombie' driving. Or 'Auto pilot' or 'How did I get here' effect... while using a hands free phone. The problem with cell phone conversation as compared to talking with passenger in the car, is the person on the other end of the line does not know when to keep quite. The passenger on the other hand knows when it is safe to talk.

One area I found that 'does not hinder' the driver's view, is the instrument panel. With my 930 mounted in front of the speedometer, problem of 'glare' is eliminated. And the 930 has it's own speedo display anyway.

I just had to control the urge to operate the gps screen when I'm turning.
lolz.

I took a picture:
http://users.accesscomm.ca/reygamar/reygamar/PICT0002.JPG
http://users.accesscomm.ca/reygamar/reygamar/PICT0003.JPG
http://users.accesscomm.ca/reygamar/reygamar/PICT0004.JPG

Yes........windshield and dash mounted gps units (and phones and pdas) will be legal. What WON'T be is gps directions received while you are HOLDING the receiver. So, devices such as i-phones, cell phones and pda's, if held while receiving directions, will be ILLEGAL.

I keep reading in news reports that GPS units will be allowed as long as they are "properly secured to the dashboard". However, I don't see anything in the Bill as introduced that says anything about GPS systems other than that they are (1) excepted from the legislation banning "Display screen visible to driver" and that (2) Hand-help devices are prohibited except that hands-free mode is allowed. I don't know where the "properly secured to the dashboard" part comes from.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_detail.do?locale=en&BillID=2099

Gil

The interpretation as I understand it is attached physically to the dash or windshield.

The INTENT of the Bill is to prevent users from holding their units while driving.

oh yes! the remote. Thanks.. forgot about it. its still in the box. lolz.
The beauty is in the application of bluetooth. Don't have to point at the device.

Got mine a week before a four week trip and thought there was too much to learn about a GPS.
Left is at home and didn't pick it up until the third month. Pity.
Greatest thing since sliced bread, not having to reach and aim.

The interpretation as I understand it is attached physically to the dash or windshield.
I do not see anything about that in the 1st reading of the Act.
Section 78 Subsection (4) will allow changes by Ministerial decree only without requiring amendments to the Act.

The INTENT of the Bill is to prevent users from holding their units while driving.
The intent is not upheld in court, just the letter of the law.
This brings me to a question. As it stands, the use of the TomTom as a "Wireless communication device" will be prohibited.
I was thinking of giving the attached to my MPP but wonder if it could result in an expressed denial to use the TomTom for wireless communications.

I would appreciate feed back but no wishful thinking, just the exact interpretation of the tabled Act.

View attachment 2247

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading this I guess that the rearview monitor that I have has to go.......

Nope:
The complete Bill 118 as tabled can be read in the link posted by ghcharters in post # 25.

As my submission would only be concerned with the use of the GPS I left out all references and Subsections to other matters.
See Section 78 Subsection (2) (b)(c)(d) below:

(b) a logistical transportation tracking system device used for commercial purposes to track vehicle location, driver status or the delivery of packages or other goods;

(c) a collision avoidance system device that has no other function than to deliver a collision avoidance system; or

(d) instrument display screens that are used to provide information to the driver regarding the status of various systems of the motor vehicle.

Let's not panic or play lawyer here ... I see no exclusion in the text Arno posted for cops, EMS workers or Firemen/women. And you better believe they ALL use GPS devices.

Let's not panic or play lawyer here ... I see no exclusion in the text Arno posted for cops, EMS workers or Firemen/women. And you better believe they ALL use GPS devices.
They are ALL there if you were to read the proposed bill in it's entirety.

I am concerned with the TomTom being used as a wireless telephone.
At present it may not be used for that. Section 78 Subsection (2):
(a) a global positioning system navigation device that has no other function
than to deliver a global positioning system for navigation;

Therefore, for brevity, I left out ALL items not concerning the GPS in my proposed submission to my MPP.
His assistants will have the complete bill on hand and there is no need for me present it as tabled, including the items concerning the car pooling for example.

One area I found that 'does not hinder' the driver's view, is the instrument panel. With my 930 mounted in front of the speedometer, problem of 'glare' is eliminated. And the 930 has it's own speedo display anyway.
That's where I have put mine as well. It also keeps it out of view from people looking for a quick smash and grab.

Ask a Question