Need help installing latest map guarantee

Situation: New GO 720. Downloaded new TomTom HOME 2.1 on laptop computer and device. All went well.

Problem: Attempting to download new maps (N. America) that are available for my device via the "latest map guarantee" through TTHome as directed by their website. The process initializes and about 2 to 4 hours into the process (have tried this several times over the last few days) the download just suddenly stops. No error message. Nothing. It just sits there. I end up having to abort the process.

Question: Why is the downloading of the maps getting stuck? I did not delete the maps currently residing on my device before beginning this process...do I have to do that? And if I do delete the current maps on my device, and this process still does not work, then I would have no maps. Isn't this new download suppose to "overwrite" the existing N. America maps on my device?

If someone would help...I would be ever so grateful. Thank you.

Situation: New GO 720. Downloaded new TomTom HOME 2.1 on laptop computer and device. All went well.

Problem: Attempting to download new maps (N. America) that are available for my device via the "latest map guarantee" through TTHome as directed by their website. The process initializes and about 2 to 4 hours into the process (have tried this several times over the last few days) the download just suddenly stops. No error message. Nothing. It just sits there. I end up having to abort the process.

Question: Why is the downloading of the maps getting stuck? I did not delete the maps currently residing on my device before beginning this process...do I have to do that? And if I do delete the current maps on my device, and this process still does not work, then I would have no maps. Isn't this new download suppose to "overwrite" the existing N. America maps on my device?

Had the same problems after Christmas. I think their server is just plain swamped due to all of the new 'subscribers'. Finally got uploaded OK after about 3 tries, though.

As to the maps...

Before you do anything rash, it's always a good idea to go ahead and run a backup of your TT720 to your hard drive using TT Home. Whatever goes wrong with files is usually very fixable providing you've got your backup set. That said, yes, the file should just overlay the previous one on the TT720.

Had the same problems after Christmas. I think their server is just plain swamped due to all of the new 'subscribers'. Finally got uploaded OK after about 3 tries, though.

As to the maps...

Before you do anything rash, it's always a good idea to go ahead and run a backup of your TT720 to your hard drive using TT Home. Whatever goes wrong with files is usually very fixable providing you've got your backup set. That said, yes, the file should just overlay the previous one on the TT720.

Okay, thanks!!

Just received my new 720 today. Loaded up TomTom Home 2.1... Made my back up like everybody suggests. Downloaded firmware 7.221... and backed up again. Then started the 7.1 map download via Map Guarentee and it goes fine for about 30 minutes then stops at about the same place on the little status bar. No progess past that point. Tried 3 times and finally gave up. Went to TomTom site and complained. Anybody else still having problems?

Thanks

Roy

Internet speed ?

Do you have high speed internet ? If not that could be the problem. Good luck !:cool:

Just got mine last week and I did the update last night. All went well I saved the backup. It did take well over an hour and I had about 50mb of extra content already on my TomTom. The install went on without a problem. I would guess that persistance was in my favor also doing at 4am MST in the morning might have helped. Good Luck.

I do have high speed cable. I've tunred off virus protection.I have kicked the other three computers off my network for the time being. I have tried 4 times and have download 943 MB, 947.7 MB, 838 MB and 947.6 MB. It gets that far in about 30 minutes and stalls. The download bar and clock go to a stand still at about 23 to 25 minutes to go

Can I run TomTom Home on different computers or onece you install Home does it have to always runs on the same computer. I am thinking of trying it at work tomorrow.

Roy

I do have high speed cable. I've tunred off virus protection.I have kicked the other three computers off my network for the time being. I have tried 4 times and have download 943 MB, 947.7 MB, 838 MB and 947.6 MB. It gets that far in about 30 minutes and stalls. The download bar and clock go to a stand still at about 23 to 25 minutes to go

Can I run TomTom Home on different computers or onece you install Home does it have to always runs on the same computer. I am thinking of trying it at work tomorrow.

Roy
No problem running TTHome on multiple computers. You don't even need the fancy docking station -- just hook it up through an ordinary A/mini-B USB cable. I hook mine up at work through a cable I have for my Pentax portable printer and a couple of my cameras use the same cable. Works fine, and charges the unit, too.

Don't forget to "log in" to TT from that copy of TTHome as well -- some TT services would need that.

Attempted one more D/L of the maps this morning EST and it stalled even sooner at 296 MB. Thanks for all of the feedback. I am going to try to D/L from work today on a different computer/network.

Late Morning update: Started the download at work, it made it to about 700 MB.. I went to a meeting, the laptop was set for energy savings and put itself to sleep... and lost the connection. Doh!

Roy

Last edited:
Late Day Update: Spent most of the day downloading 7.10 NA Maps via TomTom Home 2.1 and just when it downloaded everything, it tried to access the internet and due to network security it was blocked (we have to login and give a password every so often) and Home threw me an error. It looks like I have everything... Map Files a Cab file and other stuff... anyone know how to install it manually so I don't have to go through the pain of anohter 6 hour download?

Thank you.

Roy

Late Day Update: Spent most of the day downloading 7.10 NA Maps via TomTom Home 2.1 and just when it downloaded everything, it tried to access the internet and due to network security it was blocked (we have to login and give a password every so often) and Home threw me an error. It looks like I have everything... Map Files a Cab file and other stuff... anyone know how to install it manually so I don't have to go through the pain of anohter 6 hour download?

Thank you.

Roy

You don't need the internet to install the map. Start TTHome and use it to install the 7.10 map. Click on Add Maps and the next screen should list the 7.10 version residing on your hard drive. Click on 'add' and let it do its thing.

(Of course the 720 needs to be on and docked).

I followed your instructions dhn, Guam shows up as on my computer but US does not. It was at the very end of the download when I got the error.. I don't know whether it was trying to access the internet or just verify something but it gave an error.

It is on my computer.

Roy

I followed your instructions dhn, Guam shows up as on my computer but US does not. It was at the very end of the download when I got the error.. I don't know whether it was trying to access the internet or just verify something but it gave an error.

It is on my computer.

Roy

Sorry to hear that....mabe another download is necessary.

Thank you.

Roy
Once you've got it, you click on TTHome's "Install" stuff (voices, maps, etc) page, and it should discover those files in your PC's "Download" directory and offer to install the map set for you.

However, from what you say, you didn't get all of the files needed, and will likely have to perform this again. You should have received the North American "*.TOC" file which would have provided information to TTHome about installing the North American maps. Sounds like it is missing.

Last edited:
Yep i click

Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc..
Maps
Map List
I see Guam that I just downloaded My Computer.
A bunch of maps I can buy
At the bottom N America ON DEVICE (version 7.05 wrong version)

I looked for differences between the folder that holds the Guam files and the N America 7.1 files and the N America does not have a .TOC file. The error right after the download must have prevented the creation of that file. I just don't know how to create one or what do do with it. I have tried downloading here again from home tonight 5 times and it get to about 940 to 950 MBytes varies between 30 an fourty minutes into it and it stalls, never to start again. I am going to have to try again from work tomorrow unless I find out if the .TOC files will help.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to help.

Roy

I am going to have to try again from work tomorrow unless I find out if the .TOC files will help.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to help.

Roy
FWIW: Without the associated *.TOC file, the map set you have cannot be installed. That file actually determines, ahem, whether and to what device the maps may be installed...

Grab your favorite text editor and take a look at the one that you do have for Guam. You'll see what I mean :cool:

Hopefully I didn't mess anything up by the computer crashing before it could download or create the .TOC file. Trying the DL again, 3 hours and 10 minutes to go. I have to make sure that my network doesn't randomly ask for the Login and password at the time Home finishes the DL becasue Home doesn't realize I need to login in again... it just can get outside the network, so it crashes.

Seems to be that way anyway.

Tried downloading it 4 more time at home last night ( I'm on Comcast)... it get to around 950 Mb and it stalls, on two different computers.

Roy

Finally got it to download and install, after another 5 hours download, I paid attention to it toward the end. Added the support_asr.dat file to the ASR folder and it work well...except when one of the "tips" was on the screen it seemed to lock up. All I need to find is the "Remove Tips" command and I will be in business. I'll search for that tonight.

Thanks all who helped.

Roy

Finally got it to download and install, after another 5 hours download, I paid attention to it toward the end. Added the support_asr.dat file to the ASR folder and it work well...except when one of the "tips" was on the screen it seemed to lock up. All I need to find is the "Remove Tips" command and I will be in business. I'll search for that tonight.

Thanks all who helped.

Roy

Glad you seem to be on your way, Roy.

Good news, bad news ..... the 'Hide Tips' icon is on one of the preference screens (7 or 8, maybe). The bad news is that, even if you select to hide them, they sometimes reappear.

In the whole scheme of things, that aggrevation should be minimal compared to what you've endured so far! :D

Your download is probable being interupted by the energy settings on your CPU. Change them so the hard drive/sytem never go dormant. Good luck.

Ask a Question