My new Start 60 gets lost

TomTom Model(s)
Start 60
Just bought a Start 60 and tried to get it going. After an hour it was still waiting for satellites to appear, but no. that was yesterday Did what it said in the book today by pressing the start button for 15 secs or so, then it started searching again for an hour. no joy. went into the middle of a field, re started again and after 50 minutes found a satellite, then an occasional one ten minutes later, but then it lost it. I was there an hour and a half. This afternoon I went to the top of the moors. went through the whole thing again, and after over an hour it found a whole batch of them, then it tried to find my location. Eventually it seemed to be doing well so I set it to go home. Good job I knew the way, the sat nav didn't have a clue. It was constantly losing contact, placing me in the middle of fields, even half a mile from my actual position. Can't blame the car, it's an open top TT. Please tell me this is temporary, or have I bought a lemon. I've had two tomtoms before, plugged them in and off I went. surely it isn't me.
I'm gonna try it again tomorrow. Not holding out a lot of hope. Wish me luck........

Do you have the latest application (12.057) and the latest map (9.33, I think) on your device.

Have you connected to MyDrive (get it at tomtom.com/getstarted), log in with a different email address than used for any other device and see what is offered.

Do you have the latest application (12.057) and the latest map (9.33, I think) on your device.

Have you connected to MyDrive (get it at tomtom.com/getstarted), log in with a different email address than used for any other device and see what is offered.
Yes, all up to date. just checked again. been on for 30 mins and still waiting for valid GPS signal although GPS status is showing 9 satellites. Really getting pigged off now. Tried e mailing Tomtom, but hit a snag ???

If the screen shows 9 satellites, why do you think you do not have a lock?

Cust Support:

United Kingdom
02079 490 134
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

If the screen shows 9 satellites, why do you think you do not have a lock?

Cust Support:

United Kingdom
02079 490 134
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Thanks for the response. Just been out for couple of hours. Initially it was playing the fool again, so I did the holding the start button for 15 sec again, this was out in the middle of the moors. After 10 minutes on the roadside it found a multitude of satellites, and a few minutes later found my location.I set off on the 20 miles or so home, but the Tomtom soon got lost. Clear sky, open top car. Glad I knew the way home.... it didn't. Every half mile or so it lost contact, then after a mile or so it thought I was in the middle of a field, or in a river 100 yards away. When I got near a village, or even worse, a roadside tree, on the other side of the road, that was goodbye for another mile at least. On the positive side, for the last mile and a half it behaved, even past houses and under a tree. Yippee. I'll be going out again later. If it works I'll be a happy bunny. If it plays up again it's going back, and I'll buy a cheap and cheerful unit..... It can't be any worse. I am not happy.

When you held the power button for 15 seconds, did you hear the drum sounds when the device started up?

Yes.It played the drums, and found the satellites before it went haywiree
Went out again yesterday, gave it a short 4mile task, and due to form it got lost. Didn't know I had turned when instructed, then thought I was in the middle of a field. For the last mile home it just froze. I am a very patient man but this is really pushing it.
Today I will be going from Leeds to Durham and back, don't have high hopes, this is it's last chance. IT IS A DUD.
Previous Tomtoms have been plug in and go with no problems, and cheaper.
Here goes ??????

Ask a Question