My money has been taken, where is my map?

My IQ Routes was bought in Spain, where we live, and functioned well (give or take the odd attempt to send us the wrong way on a M-way but that's what common sense is for) but after 22 months, we decided to buy new maps and speed aka safety camera information. Because of the size of the information package, TT told us that we could only choose part of Europe. We opted for the South.

We paid about ?100 in all and spent an hour or so downloading information before setting off on a 1500 km journey.

The first thing we spotted was that the new Spanish maximum speed limit was not reflected on the Tomtom and that speed warnings clicked in at 120kph instead of 110kph (potentially expensive)

It then became evident that we had no warnings of fixed cameras - not even the "old" ones that had helped us previously.

Can any experienced user tell us what we may be doing wrong? We'd be awfully grateful.

Finally, although we have done all we can to opt for English language communication, we get a stream of Spanish advertisements from TT. We do speak Spanish but TT's use of marketing language is quite confusing anyway and often appears to urge us to buy what we already have. Once again maybe someone can offer advice. Our computer was bought in Spain and its identity may prompt TT to use Spanish as the first language.

Regarding the ads coming from TT.

Connect the unit to the computer. Use Explorer to go to the scripts folder. Delete any files you see there.

Thanks for the tip re advertisements. I don't mind receiving them - I just want them in the language of my choice!

More seriously, I put my map question to a family member who sent this response.

"Tomtom... What a bunch of thieves!

Our tomtom finally bit the dust so we bought a new one the day before going to
London. On the box it said to download the latest map version which I did. (I
had heard a few horror stories so I made a backup of the original files first)
The download and installation took 6 HOURS!!! Despite having paid for all
European maps I was left with only Western Europe... not really a problem, but
when I switched on the tomtom for the first time it said "map not found"!!!!
I tried installing again ... another 6 hours (I had to get up in the middle of
the night to check) It worked, but no speed cameras or radars just the basic
version.

The first time I tried to install cameras I had the same message - Map not found

I'll never buy Tomtom again."

That was a discouraging message but we have paid our money and need Tomtom to work. Please, has anyone else a solution?

I just don't understand this attitude where something goes wrong and people immediately brand the company as thieves.

Incompetent maybe, but not "thieves".
You have to accept that most of their customers manage to update perfectly well and be happy, otherwise they would not still be in business; and forums like this only get to see the stories of where something has gone wrong.

Your point about map zones...
Yes it's annoying that for people who bought models with no expansion capability (no SD card slot). They are restricted in available space and the maps have got bigger over time. TT should have handled that a lot better.
But remember you still have access to ALL the zones, so you do have all the coverage you used to have (probably quite a bit more). You can download all the zones to your PC and swap them in and out of the XL as required.

Your point about speed cameras...
These are a subscription service if you want updates, and I think an out of date set of data is almost worse than none at all.
If you have made a backup of the old map before you updated (as is ALWAYS recommended - see dozens of posts here or the front of your user manual) then we can easily guide you through recovering the required files.
But I would suggest you consider a new subscription from TT or one of the better alternatives available. You don't say exactly where you're from, but if it is the UK, then take a look at the Pocket GPS
World camera database which is far more reliable than TomTom's own data.

Reply to Andy P

Andy P. Thank you for your reply. It is indeed unfortunate that forums only hear the bad news but most of us only start looking when we have a problem. Our first year of TT use was fun, we have only run into difficulty after we bought the updates. We do understand that maps of the rest of Europe are available to us but have no immediate plans to go to UK or Scandinavian destinations.

We bought the speed camera update but do not know how to start it working. The IQ XL Routes came without a printed manual and we had no idea about backing up - would that have been done by opening a TT document on the computer and saving it?

We live in Spain and bought the TT there but are now communicating from a camp site in France and trying to get our TT to fire on all cylinders.

Please ask any other questions that may help you to understand our situation.

Is the main issue getting the speed camera data working?

If so go to TomTom Plus services and select TomTom Safety Cameras, from this menu selection you will be able to configure the warnings.

If your device is Live enabled then you need to go to TomTom Live Services/ TomTom Safety Cameras - Mike

You can download all the TomTom user manuals from their website here.

They are Acrobat .pdf documents, so you'll need to have Acrobat Reader installed on your PC to view them.

Be careful to select your exact model... there is an "XL IQ Routes Edition", an "XL LIVE IQ Routes" and an XL
IQ Routes 2". There may be one generic manual, or they might all be slightly different to reflect the different capabilities of the different models.

I have one apology to make though... it seems the latest manuals DON'T havea warning to make a backup very clearly displayed. :mad:

Ask a Question