Go 930 - worth spending money on it right now?

I've had a Go 720 for a couple of years and (like pretty much everybody else), I have a love-hate relationship with it. The 720 is still going strong and, unless I step on it or drop it on something really hard, I don't see it going belly up for physical reasons any time soon.

A couple of days ago, I saw an ad for the no-longer-being-manufactured Go 930 at $300 (Canadian). For a moment, it seemed like a good bargain, bu, with the initial excitement gone, I asked myself: is this a good buy? (the assistant assured me it would even go under 300 "soon", because nobody seemed to buy it anymore)

My specific situation:
-my neck of the woods has no traffic info, none whatsoever; I don't travel to big cities often enough to be preoccupied with avoiding traffic jams (I don't think the meager traffic info for Vancouver or Calgary would help me much whenever I have to drive through those cities);
-I don't care about "additional visual elements", such as buildings, parks etc, elements that are missing from North_America 2GB, but are instead present in the "full" North_America version of the map.
-I'd like to have a European map - I cross the pond once, maybe twice a year; a map - even though it wouldn't be the latest version - would still be a nice plus.

Right now, I have two "nay"s and one "nice-to-have" i.e. insufficient reasons to shell out three hundred bucks. Still, I'm tempted to make an investment "for the future" - the 940, the 950, they all have the same hardware as the 930, but some added connectivity (which does not interest me in the least, as stated). This means that its underlying physical system won't become obsolete any time soon, and thus it would seem like a good investment.

What do you think?

From your post, it seems the only significant reasons for getting the 930 would be to get the larger detailed maps and a map of Europe.

Here's something else to consider.....just buy the Western_Europe_2GB map now and install it on a sdhc card (at least 4-gigs, the faster the card, the better). With the exchange plus the fact Canadians get screwed in having to pay in Euros and are forced to use the European map server which automatically adds 20% VAT, it'll still come to only about $120 CDN.

That's what I did for my 720 when my wife needed the unit while on business in Britain and Italy recently. Just pop the sdhc card in the unit when in Europe and go to manage maps and select that one; you are good to go.

So, the other drawback to having a 730 instead of 930? Smaller maps which means a smaller poi set included. Well, there is the large NA poi set posted here somewhere that you can copy to your North America map to make up the difference. You may still be missing some additional cosmetic details in the map like better visualization of rivers, etc. but the roads are still there.

And there are plenty of sites to add custom poi items for both NA and Europe that you can download to the appropriate map.

Now, the 930 also comes with EPT which means that in tunnels or surrounded by tall buildings, if the gps signal is lost, the gyroscope built into the 930 allows for decent tracking. And the 930 also comes with a remote (which you CAN buy for the 730 if you really want it).

Anyway, something to think about.

Ask a Question