My first GPS (XL 335 SE): A couple questions

So I moved to a new part of the country with some complicated/confusing roads and while shopping at Wal-Mart on Black Friday, I stumbled across the Tom Tom XL 335 SE for $80. We're on a tight budget so I figured it was just what I needed.

In hindsight, I wish I had got one with lifetime maps or even traffic, but so far this is doing pretty much everything I need it to do. But I do have a couple questions, that I haven't seen answered here:

How do I check the charge and satellite status of the unit? The only time I can this info is when I first plan or change a route (and the "Details", "Change route" and "Done" buttons are visible on the bottom of the screen). Is there another, easier way to check these without changing the route?

Can I charge the unit with the included USB cable or only with the car adapter cable? I have the unit plugged into my computer right now, and it doesn't seem to be charging. If it can be done, how?

Does the unit charge when it is powered off?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yes, the unit charges when powered off and yes, you can charge it with the usb cable. Where you saw the battery status is the location. There isn't another one on that unit.

If you tap on the 'lower right' corner of the screen, it will show you satellite status. Above that you'll see battery status. If it's plugged in it will show "charging" (or maybe fully charged with solid green bar). If not plugged in, will show you the level of charge.

Very cool. Thanks to you both for the replies.

Not sure why, but before I couldn't get it to say "charging" when I had it plugged into my computer, but now it does.

So it never actually says "Fully charged"? It just shows a solid green bar? Still waiting for that to happen ...

Thanks again!

So it never actually says "Fully charged"? It just shows a solid green bar? ...

That is correct. I've noticed that with the unit on and plugged into your cig lighter in your car or... your PC, it takes a very long time to completely charge... about 4 or 5 hours with the XL-335TM anyway. If you turn it off and leave it plugged in, it charges much faster.

That is correct. I've noticed that with the unit on and plugged into your cig lighter in your car or... your PC, it takes a very long time to completely charge... about 4 or 5 hours with the XL-335TM anyway. If you turn it off and leave it plugged in, it charges much faster.

It's a little odd how it leaves the protruding tip of the battery white, but this is great. At first I was afraid I had to buy yet another cord to get it to charge while inside my home.

Thanks. Feeling even better about the purchase.

Ask a Question