memory cards

TomTom Model(s)
go 730
Hi new to this forum, can any one help me I have a go 730 and have tried to load music and photos on a memory card I have purchased a 2 gb ds kingston memory card. I connected unit to tom tom home on the computer and tried to download some photos and music, the unit shows that on the screen a down load is taken place but when I go into my go 730 it is not showing. if I put the sd card into my card reader the photos and music are load on the card. I have instructed tom tom home to down load to Memory card. Have I purchaed the wrong memory card, I see some cards are mark as SDHC as the one I am using is just SD. Any help would be appreciated
John

Your model should be using a sdhc card though I think a sd card will work. Make sure your music is in mp3 format and in a folder called mp3 (all lower case) while photos go in a folder called photos.

Should work.

Need Help with SD memory

I have purchased a new 930 GO and looked on the TomTom site for the recomended SD memory size. 8 Gig SDHC was recomended. I then called TomTom and they confirmed this. The next time I called TomTom the rep. said do not use more than 4 gig and not high capacity. This will slow down the system too much and it will lag during operation. She said that everone at TomTom knows this. The next time I called back and inquiried the Rep. said that was not true and to use the 8 Gig High Capacity. Now I realy confused. Please help!

The Go models can handle up to 32-gig SDHC cards without a problem as long as the latest application is used.

I don't know why TT support is constantly giving wrong information on that matter.

SD Memory Continued

Thank you for your response you are the most informed GPS person I know. How do you know so much? Did you work for TomTom?

Two more questions:

1. I am still confused as to why the tech support docs indicate you can only use 8 gigs of SD? It is listed on the TomTom site?

2. Does a full 8 Gig SDHC card not slow down the unit at all? Is this from your experience?

Nobody here works for TT.

You want the fastest sdhc card you can afford (at least a class 4). You won't notice any performance degredation. While the units can handle 32-gig cards, for most an 8-gig would be more than enough. Just make sure you get the card from a reliable source (a brick and mortar location). Many people have been burned by getting cards on ebay and finding the cards they buy are faulty.

TomTom Versus Garmin

Thanks again dhn (Super Moderator) you are very, very knowledgeable. I don't know if this is the right place to post this so please forgive me if it is not, also these might not be fair questions for you. If not please forgive me again. On the other hand I thing you might just be the best person to answer them dhn and have tried everywhere. If not can you direct me to an appropriate site please:

I am a previous owner of a Garmin (c330) and wanted to update my unit. I have been debating between getting a Garmin again or switching to a TomTom. I bought this TomTom Go 930 to try it out. I live in Markham, Ontario, Canada which might effect which product would be best. Which do you think is better? TomTom or Garmin? Here are my questions:

1. Who would have the best Map coverage for Canada TomTom or Garmin?
2. Which company has better routes (directions)?
3. Does the IQ Maps and Map Share really work? Are they applicable in Canada?
4. Does Advanced Lane Guidance on the TomTom work in Canada? Will it ever work in Canada (updates)? Does it work with a Garmin?
5. Who has better battery life? My TomTom only lasts for 1.0-1.5 hours on a full charge (I do have everything on though, MPS, Bluetooth, etc). My old Garmin lasted about 4-5 hours on a charge, but it did not have MP3 or Bluetooth.
6. I am interested in buying a map for Greece as I travel there often (disappointed it is not covered in TomTom's European maps - that is why I choose this unit). Who would have the best coverage TomTom or Garmin?
7. I find the font small for the street names on the TomTom map (might be my age!) .Can you enlarge it? Zoom does not increase the font.

Thanks again dhn (Super Moderator), and please excuse the long post I don't mean to take up all your time but I have not found anyone as knowledgeable, as well as living in the same area - Ontario.

I don't know much about Garmins:

1. For major areas in Canada, TT's maps are quite decent but if you go to Google maps, you'll get an indication of how good the mapping is since Google uses TeleAtlas as a map supplier, the same as TT.

2. Both give you choice of routing:' fastest', 'shortest' etc.

3. Yes IQ routing does work and will give you a route (when you select 'fastest') that is based on historical real-world data of drivers. Results in better routing and more realistic ETA's.

4. There is NO ALG for any Canadian roads in TT! A weakness. Higher end Garmins have this, I believe.

5. Hard to answer. TT users normally get 2 to 2.5 hours on a charge. There are battery saving preferences that help somewhat.

6. Don't know.

7. The font size can't be changed.

POI and Routing Question:

Thanks again dhn (Super Moderator) for your responses, I am amazed how well you know all this stuff. I have two more question for you and I have again asked tech support at TomTom with no results:

1. When you are travelling and search for POI along the way, for example gas stations, the gas stations (once listed) have a symbol in front of them. It looks like a arrow (straight or bent). Then are also green or yellow. What does this mean? Is there a tech support page that shows them and explains them? I have checked the manual but they are not covered. I figured green mean they are up a head and yellow they are passed? I don't know about the bent or straight. I assume straight is - one the street currently travelled and bent is off on another street?

Also it is a shame the distances don't update automatically as you drive. You must exit and return to the POI for the distances to update. My old Garmin updated the POI as you drove and stayed on the same page.

2. dhn have you ever found your TomTom giving you and a longer route that makes no scene? I live on a crescent that is bisected by another street and my TomTom will actually make my go around, the long way instead of just straight ahead and this adds way more distance. I have also tried selecting the shortest route in my preferences to see if this makes a difference and it does not, it still comes back with a longer route. Any ideas?

Thanks again

Thanks again dhn (Super Moderator) for your responses, I am amazed how well you know all this stuff. I have two more question for you and I have again asked tech support at TomTom with no results:

1. When you are travelling and search for POI along the way, for example gas stations, the gas stations (once listed) have a symbol in front of them. It looks like a arrow (straight or bent). Then are also green or yellow. What does this mean? Is there a tech support page that shows them and explains them? I have checked the manual but they are not covered. I figured green mean they are up a head and yellow they are passed? I don't know about the bent or straight. I assume straight is - one the street currently travelled and bent is off on another street?

Also it is a shame the distances don't update automatically as you drive. You must exit and return to the POI for the distances to update. My old Garmin updated the POI as you drove and stayed on the same page.

2. dhn have you ever found your TomTom giving you and a longer route that makes no scene? I live on a crescent that is bisected by another street and my TomTom will actually make my go around, the long way instead of just straight ahead and this adds way more distance. I have also tried selecting the shortest route in my preferences to see if this makes a difference and it does not, it still comes back with a longer route. Any ideas?

Thanks again

I asked the very question just a few days ago. Here is what the moderator told me.

Click here https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/18552-poi-icon-definition.html

If shortest route doesn't solve the problem, then you probably have a erroneous turn restriction on the map somewhere.

Upgrade to app 8.350 or later (earlier versions had a turn restriction bug), and check out the restrictions on each unintuitive intersection in mapshare. If there is an incorrect restriction, you can undo it in mapshare. Ditto if the problem is caused by in incorrect 1-way road.

If you can't figure it out, post the location and I'll look into it on my map.

Routing Errors and Speed Traps

Thanks mvl. I have the latest app I assume, as I do an update all the time, so it would tell me if it was not - correct?

What is unintuitive intersection in mapshare? How do I access this and determine if there is an error with the street in question? How do I undo an error?

As for the address. When I use TomTom Route Planner from the desktop to simulate the route it gives me the wrong street.I try to use "27 Emeline Cres, Markham, ON, CA" and it gives me "27 Parkinson Rd, Markham, ON, CA". On my actual TomTom unit the Go 930, it gives me a longer route while the TomTom Route Planner gives me the wrong street. The destination I used was: The Chemist Pharmacy, 27 Wootten Way North Markham ON, Canada starting from "27 Emeline Cres, Markham, ON, CA". My TomTom unit makes me go the wrong way on Emeline and then connects through Parkinson Rd back to Emeline Cres again when I could have gone the right way on Emeline right to Fincham Rd.

One more question concerning Speed Traps and Red Light Cameras. On my old Garmin unit I could download this info from other users and my Garmin unit would alert me to any areas popular with speed traps and red light cameras. When I drove close to these areas (I could set the distance) the GPS unit would flash red and sound an alarm. Can this be done with the TomTom? I thought I downloaded Speed Traps as an update but I never get a warning? I live in Ontario Canada does that make a difference?

I just tried the route you planned on my 730 with the latest 835 map installed.

It seemed to plan properly and never sent me to Parkinson Rd whatsoever. I set it for fastest and to travel now.

Check your planning preferences. you may have some restriction in there causing an incorrect route.

As far as the speed cameras are concerned. They're a poi category. you can Manage POIS-->Warn when near-->scroll down to speed cameras (or red light cameras) and select the distance before you want to hear the warning and then select the sound you want to hear as a warning.

Route Problems

Thanks dhn,

I did go to planning preferences and the only thing you can control is shortest, fastest, etc. I also indicated to be asked about tolls, unpaved roads etc. I did select fastest but is still gives me the longer route. Am I missing something?

As for the speed cameras are concerned. How can you specify what speed traps or camera area you want to download. For example Ontario Canada and not California.

Is there a difference between Speed Cameras, Speed Traps, and Red Light Cameras? I thought it only warned you of areas where people have seen speed traps in the past. Therefore very dependant on the accuracy of the people who post these.

Tap your satellite bars to see the application version. What is it? Now, tap the version number to see the map installed and its version number. What does that info say?

I'm not sure where you got the safety camera pois from but yes, without a subscription, all you can get is historical data for where they were sighted.

Routing Issues

Yes I checked and have the latest map and app. Any other suggestions? I have noticed other routing errors as well.

Can you get live speed trap data? How? Is it with a paid subscipition?

I think there are sites that offer live speed camera sites, perhaps for a fee. Try poifriends.com, I think.

Hello.

I try to use 8GB SDHC with my TT930T but device does not start.
What kind of format have I to use? FAT, FAT32?

Last edited:
Fat32.

What is the brand, and speed, of your sdhc card? Hopefully, it's not one you got on ebay. They often prove to be crap.

Ask a Question