microSDHC Memory Cards for VIA 220 (Start 20)

C

colinbowern

After a long of haggling of support to respond to my question I was cleared to purchase a microSDHC card for my VIA 220. I did so with a Patriot LX 16GB class 10 microSDHC card. I put it in, watched it tell me that it is reading the memory card then fired up MyTomTom to load up the US & Canada map. That's where the fun stopped - when I get to the Insert a Memory Card I click continue, watch it sit on the "Checking for a Memory Card" screen and then jump back to "Insert a Memory card". No error message, no indication of what went wrong.

I'm really starting to regret my TomTom purchase - support has been painful and slow and the software is very fragile. Any thoughts on what to do next?

Your Via 220 should have asked to format that card when you rebooted after installing it. Did it do so?

And did it offer to perform the format after the reboot? Current TomTom units like to set up their own format on a new uSD card, and you should see it request that, and you would have to respond affirmatively.

It didn't offer to format it when first inserted or on a normal reboot. I had to do a soft reset per the KB article for it to offer up the choice. What is even further annoying is that when it tried to check for the memory card it provided no guidance that you needed to take this extra step. The whole MyTomTom hybrid desktop/web experience is a big disappointment compared to what I remember from my original TomTom using Home.

All I can say is that whenever I've put a micro SDHC card into a NAV3 TomTom, the device has ALWAYS told me I need to format it (to their own spec.) as soon as I put the card in the slot, and has then asked my permission to go ahead with the format process straight after that.

Ask a Question