map updates

I got my 920 for Christmas and have been waiting until January 28th to use the promotional code to update the maps. When I finally am able to get in, I get a message saying that either my 30 days has passed or the latest map guarantee was not included by the merchant that I bought it from. I didn't think that it made any difference where you bought it from as long as it was new. What's the deal? Is there a DVD with all of the map updates that you can buy without having to spend $39 for each of the numerous area map updates?

it turns out that the one year map update promotion is now built into TomTom Home. Download the newest version (2.x for Mac or PC) and you will find under Tools->Use Latest Maps Guarantee to download the latest maps. HTH

Still didn't work under tomtom home. says out of date. I went ot tomtom.com/1yearmaps and it says code is not valid. I e-mailed tomtom- we will see what happens.

I got the same deal. Downloaded the latest version of Home and went into "Use latest Map Guartantee" and it comes back saying I have to purchase.

Time for a phone call....

Ok, I called up. Got a real good support guy who looked into things for me.

The deal is that if you got the 920 near the end of the year, you already have the latest maps. Why it's saying we don't is a mystery, but the support guy said there aren't new maps, go figure.

You should go into your profile on TT and enable your notifications which are supposed to be sent out when new maps are issued. At the time when new maps are issued, go into HOME and try to download again. If you can't download the new map, call up with your date of purchase and your 1 year ticket code and they'll set you straight.

New maps

Well,
there is actually a new map today. I have Western and Central Europe v710.1576. When checking in Tomtom Home under maps, the latest version is 7.15.

So the question remains, how come there is no update?:confused:

Ok, I called up. Got a real good support guy who looked into things for me.

The deal is that if you got the 920 near the end of the year, you already have the latest maps. Why it's saying we don't is a mystery, but the support guy said there aren't new maps, go figure.

You should go into your profile on TT and enable your notifications which are supposed to be sent out when new maps are issued. At the time when new maps are issued, go into HOME and try to download again. If you can't download the new map, call up with your date of purchase and your 1 year ticket code and they'll set you straight.

So, even though it tells me that there are numerous updates to different parts of the US, I already have them? The only one that it does show that I have current is the US map as a whole. This should be a fix coming from TT.

So, even though it tells me that there are numerous updates to different parts of the US, I already have them? The only one that it does show that I have current is the US map as a whole. This should be a fix coming from TT.

I think I see what you mean. I fired up HOME and went into Add Maps, Traffic, Voices, etc., then into Maps. That shows me that the only map that I have that's up to date is North America. All of the detailed regional maps say they need to be downloaded.

Guess another call to TT is in order...

Free map updates for one year

I have just spoken to TT Helpdesk. This is what they told me.

Free mapuppgrades are included in the TT Home application and downloaded automaticly. This will not however affect the version number of my map. However, all information added in new maps will be included in my updates.

So the question remains, do I believe this or is it just an excuse to not give me a new map version.

Anyone out there with some info on this?

I have just spoken to TT Helpdesk. This is what they told me.

Free mapuppgrades are included in the TT Home application and downloaded automaticly. This will not however affect the version number of my map. However, all information added in new maps will be included in my updates.

So the question remains, do I believe this or is it just an excuse to not give me a new map version.

Anyone out there with some info on this?

Sounds like BS to me.

Ok, I just spoke w/ TT again and here's what they told me....

When you go into HOME, download maps, maps, it will check the current map that you have installed on your device against what's currently available. For example, I have a 920 that i purchased last December. When I go into HOME, maps, it says that my North America map is up to date and doesn't require a download. However, I do see all the regional maps available for purchase and download. I asked the support person about that.

The support person said that people outside the area who could be visiting might not need or want to pay for the entire North America map. They may only be travelling to a particular region, so they'd only purchase that region's detailed map. I also asked whether there's more information in the detailed maps than what's in the entire North American map. They told me that the North America map has more information in it than the detailed regional maps and since I'm in North America, that's the map that I want and keep updating.

She also told me that since I have the map guarantee, I should hold onto the coupon if/when a new North America map becomes available for download. If I'm unable to download it through HOME, I should call TT back and they'll make sure I'm able to get the update.

Hope this helps....

I've read many times that North American regional maps are only parts of the large North America map. It can be useful to those who have limited available space on their internal memory or SD card and wish to travel to specific areas or people who don't expect to travel all over the continent.

Tomtom seems to not update the available maps at the same time over all their world locations. Some newer maps were made available at their British site before being available elsewhere.

Map Share will definitively not make your maps equivalent to the most recent map. The most recent North America map for the tt920 is 7.10 build 1609 that was assembled by Tomtom in early October 2007. ID=North_America.pna
build=1609
id=113027

Last edited:
The 920 doe have the latest map right now. Even though the map build is different from the 720, they are practically the same.
If a North America map 715 version were to come out soon, then this would be time to contact TomTom.

The 920 doe have the latest map right now. Even though the map build is different from the 720, they are practically the same.
If a North America map 715 version were to come out soon, then this would be time to contact TomTom.

Okay, a question(S):

Those of us with the 920 have both US and EUROPE. Has the EUROPE map been updated? If so, is that available to 920 users? I purchased mine in Dec, 2007.

Does one have to actually switch maps on the unit, then connect to Home so it then compares the Europe maps? Or does it always compare ALL maps on the 920 with what's new on the TT server?

I have a GO920. When I check TTH, Maps, North America, is says I have version 710 installed on the device. That map is 1413.8 MB in size. Further up the screen, the North America map for purchase is also listed as version 710, but it size is listed as 1915.6 MB.

Why is there a difference between both versions, both listed as 710? Why is the one available for purchase larger in size if it's the same version?

Also, Gilbert says there is a 720 NA map available....If it does exist, where is it located for download, and why doesn't my 920 automatically DL it when connected with TTH Home?

By the way, my "Free Maps for 1 year" Code also says it's no good.

Silly point maybe....but when adding up all the separate North America maps available on TTH, it totals to 4896 MB. There either must be a huge amount of overlapping info (I know that some of the maps have limited info for surrounding states). But, that's 3 times the size of the map I currently have installed. I might not be understanding this correctly...but, either there's a huge overlap, or my NA map (1413.8 MB) is severely limited in it's coverage.

Last edited:
One plausible explanation for the different map updates in different areas and availability comes to my mind. I have no clue as to the number of tt920's out there. Those maps are rather large size and one needs to have file servers able to handle the traffic and bandwidth! If Tomtom USA servers can't handle the load, it will get irate customers and lots of calls to tech support.

During the Christmas season, their web site was overloaded and it took a while for it to come back and handle the load. Also their Home program is not what I would deem as very robust and trouble free. Could they be waiting for that aspect to be working properly before committing to the map updates to come out? I don't know any employee so do not know for sure but is my guess.

Why is there a difference between both versions, both listed as 710? Why is the one available for purchase larger in size if it's the same version?

The difference, as far as anyone has been able to tell me, is the POI database. The POI for the TT720 is 80mb or so, where the POI for the TT920 is 270mb or so.

Also, Gilbert says there is a 720 NA map available....If it does exist, where is it located for download, and why doesn't my 920 automatically DL it when connected with TTH Home?

There is no 720 NA map... I think he meant that the map on the TT720... The current version are 7.10.1584 for the TT720 and 7.10.1609 for the TT920. And as I wrote above, all that anyone has been able to tell so far, the difference between the two is the POI database that comes with it.

Silly point maybe....but when adding up all the separate North America maps available on TTH, it totals to 4896 MB. There either must be a huge amount of overlapping info (I know that some of the maps have limited info for surrounding states). But, that's 3 times the size of the map I currently have installed. I might not be understanding this correctly...but, either there's a huge overlap, or my NA map (1413.8 MB) is severely limited in it's coverage.

The size issue is because with each map you get some base files as well as the map information (like the POI database)... So if file 1.blah, 2.blah and 3.blah are duplicated in all maps, then you have that much more data when you add all the maps together, where with the single NA map, you only have a single copy of those files.
There may some overlap, but I have a feeling that most of the size make up is due to duplicate files.

I've made a mistake and corrected my original post with the map's pna for full information. Sorry about that!

Also see my post on a possible explanation about map updates a few posts above...

The difference, as far as anyone has been able to tell me, is the POI database. The POI for the TT720 is 80mb or so, where the POI for the TT920 is 270mb or so.

There is also the aspect of the voice recognition files which the tt720 does not have but part of the map. They occupy around 462MB for NA. Those cspeech_XXX.dat for each state take quite a bit of space!

AH... that's good to know! So in other words, if you have the TT920 map on a unit that doesn't support voice recognition, there is no reason to keep those cspeech files?
Not that it really matters anymore, unless TT changes their stance on using maps not "made" for specific units. :)

Ask a Question