Map Updates, one for free?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730, XL IQ Routes Edition, VIA 1605
Right now, I have North American Map version 800.1727. It was my understanding that you were entitled to one free major map update with your new unit, but I don't see any information on this.

Am I wrong? If I'm entitled to a freebie, how do I claim it?

I think you might be referring to the Latest Map Guarantee (LMG). If, within the first 30 days there is a newer map than what is on your unit, you can update for free.

The issue with the "30 days" is when are they counted from? from the website, it is clearly saying: when you install home, and connect your device, the counter starts. However, they often ask for the sales receipt. So what if, one purchases the device, wait for 2 months before installing/using home, and then starts using home? will it count toward date of home installation, or date of purchase on the receipt?

The issue with the "30 days" is when are they counted from? from the website, it is clearly saying: when you install home, and connect your device, the counter starts. However, they often ask for the sales receipt. So what if, one purchases the device, wait for 2 months before installing/using home, and then starts using home? will it count toward date of home installation, or date of purchase on the receipt?

Either way, if you need to do this within 30 days of purchase, I'm well past that.

But I also understand that the the newest maps will not work with navcore 8.10, which I prefer above 8.3 and to which I'm rolling back to, so I guess it's academic.

Thanks, all. This is such a helpful forum!

Hi, this might help new customers: since I was wondering when does the counter starts, I've called TomTom support. At first, the lady told me this is the date of purchase, since when wanting to use the LMG they will ask for the receipt. However, I've pointed out that the website tells it is when you first connect the device through tomtom home/when you install tomtom home. She refered to a manager putting me on hold, and then, she finally confirmed this is when you use home and connect the device/register the device through it the first time. She gave me a reference number for that phone call in case it is needed for the future.

My advice, go make a screenshot of the information on the website about LMG where it says "The first time you connect your device to TomTom HOME, HOME will automatically check if a newer version of your map is available to download straight away...and as often as you like in 30 days! " in case they change it later:

https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/

Then, if you were planning to install home because you have just purchased a device, wait! the last map update was in nov, last year it was in May, there is a great chance there is a new map by Feb09. It might be worth waiting a month more, and only then, install home and update!

The technical counter starts 30 days from first connection to home. So you have 30 days to update your map through the home system.

The legal deadline is 30 days from proof of purchase. If (as happens more often than not), Home errors and doesn't give you a new map, then you'll have to call tomtom support and get them to manually load the map to your account. They will only do a manual load within 30 days of a faxed receipt.

They will only do a manual load within 30 days of a faxed receipt.

So you do confirm it is from the date you send a proof of purchase in case home fails to do it automatically, and not from data of purchase. Say I purchase the device 1st january, then install home 1st march, then send the proof asked for 3rd march, then I have up to 3rd april to reclaim the LMG?

At best, you'll have 30 days from the date of purchase. In your example, that would be Feb 1st. I would NOT count on what another user was told. Remember, it's your free map at stake.

It looks like this issue does not have a single TT answer.

I recently purchased from Amazon a 920 (Refurbished), checked with CS about the 30 days LMG. I also informed them about the date of purchase and the date I received the unit by mail. They pegged the 30 days to the date I received the unit by mail!

Bottom line, it is great that we have the 30 days LMG. I do not believe others have that policy. It is reasonable to expect that the 30 days should start from the day you purchase the product (B&M) or the day you receive the unit by mail (few days after placing the order). After that you have 30 days to obtain the latest and the greatest.

Hopefully the 30 day insurance is acceptable to all. Anything beyond that does not make sense, from a business perspective. Hopefully, all of us want TT to be around and not go the way of non-profitable companies.

Sorry, that was an unintended typo in my prior email.

If home automated Latest map guarantee fails and you have to call tomtom tech support, you have to fax them a receipt showing that the purchase was made at most 30 days prior to the phone call.

Indeed, it seems there is no one single answer. In my case, I've called support and told them I'm want to purchase a device today because of a special today offer at a retailler, however, I'll offer the unit to someone for its birthday in 2 months, and I wanted him to take advantage of LMG from the date he has it for birthday, not when I purchase it. After a check with the manager, the lady confirmed that it will be when first installing home and registering the device through home, eventhough the purchase was well prior first use (no receipt purchase date). Maybe this is not a standard policy, and the manager was understanding of the situation (purchase today for a birthday later).?

The legal deadline is 30 days from proof of purchase.
No, it isn't. As long as the unit is purchased during the period while the following remains posted on TomTom's site, any ambiguities or conflicting information is construed against the maker (TomTom).

If it applied to me, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use this point in a phone call to get the map upgrade within 30 days of first connection/registration through TTHome.

How do I claim my latest map guarantee?

Automatically at TomTom HOME...

The first time you connect your device to TomTom HOME, HOME will automatically check if a newer version of your map is available to download straight away.

...and as often as you like in 30 days!

If a new map isn?t available, you can check HOME as often as you like within the next 30 days.

No, it isn't. As long as the unit is purchased during the period while the following remains posted on TomTom's site, any ambiguities or conflicting information is construed against the maker (TomTom).

If it applied to me, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use this point in a phone call to get the map upgrade within 30 days of first connection/registration through TTHome.

How do I claim my latest map guarantee?

Automatically at TomTom HOME...

The first time you connect your device to TomTom HOME, HOME will automatically check if a newer version of your map is available to download straight away.

...and as often as you like in 30 days!

If a new map isn’t available, you can check HOME as often as you like within the next 30 days.

But again, if Home fails to see that a newer map is available (due to the bug) you are required to call tech support. When you call tech support, you only have 30 days from date of purchase. It all depends if you are lucky.

For example, I could purchase a TomTom Jan 1st, NEVER connect/register the device to/via Home, then on October 1st I find out from a friend that I can connect my TomTom to my PC to get free updates. Since it will be my first time my TomTom has ever interacted with a PC, Home will assume I just purchased my TomTom, will require me to register the device, and WILL allow me to download my free latest map within 30 days. BUT, if you happen to get the Home LMG bug (which most people get) Home will say that you already have the latest map (but you really don't) and you will be forced to call tech support. Tech support will see your receipt which is dated 9 months ago, and will refuse you a map upgrade, even though I have never connected my TomTom to Home.

So there are 2 answers to this question.

You will have 30 days from the time you first connect/register the device to download the latest map, IF you don't get the Home LMG bug.

or

You will have 30 days from the date of purchase
to download the latest map IF if you happen to get the LMG bug and are required to call tech support.

This is the WHOLE reason TomTom has you fax/email a copy of a receipt.

canderson, I do see what you're saying though, but why else would they even require a sales receipt? If the only requirement were from the time you connected/registered your device, they wouldn't need a receipt at all, instead all they would have to look at is your registration date. Yea they also look at the receipt to make sure the vendor is authorized to sell, but they mainly ask for a receipt to verify the "date of purchase"

There are many exceptions that happen though. Many members here have been denied LMG's because they didn't take care of business within the 1st 30 days, and also haven't even registered the device yet. As canderson says, this may be wrong doing of TomTom to deny customers LMG based on "date of purchase", since the site does clearly state that it's from the time you connect/register your device.

Last edited:
canderson, I do see what you're saying though, but why else would they even require a sales receipt?
I didn't say they weren't trying to get away with something. I simply said that based upon the language of their own "contract" (and legally, that's what it is), trying to change the rules to purchase + 30 wouldn't hold up in court. I doubt anyone will bother to test that theory.

Further, even if an alternate "contract" were published concurrently by TomTom that set out a different set of rules, the purchaser would have no trouble claiming the rights given to him by the one he preferred. "Tie goes to the runner" and all that;)

I didn't say they weren't trying to get away with something. I simply said that based upon the language of their own "contract" (and legally, that's what it is), trying to change the rules to purchase + 30 wouldn't hold up in court. I doubt anyone will bother to test that theory.

Further, even if an alternate "contract" were published concurrently by TomTom that set out a different set of rules, the purchaser would have no trouble claiming the rights given to him by the one he preferred. "Tie goes to the runner" and all that;)

I believe you're right and I'm not doubting you. In fact, I'm tempted to buy a TomTom just to try this out. Wait 3 or 4 months before I even connect the unit, then upon connecting it for the first time, call them and request a map. Their first response upon reading my submitted receipt would be "You have passed your 30 day mark" and I'll simply say "No, I just connected it for the first time today, and your site doesn't mention ANYWHERE that it's 30 days from purchase, but instead it's from 30 days of first connecting the device"

This all sucks! I wish they would just offer subscriptions here already!

Ohh and, do you have something against WD-40? Just wonderin' :p Funny avatar.

Also, I happened to get 2 free LMG's because 8.15 came out just a few days after downloading the free 8.10 map. I guessed they aggreed to give it to me is because I did, kind of say in my email, that I would either return my device and go for another brand, or simply return the device and buy the same exact unit, to get another LMG, and that there wasn't anything they could do to stop me.

In reality they didn't HAVE to do this for me, but they were nice enough to do it. They do make exceptions sometimes.

Last edited:
What would be really bad is if you bought it as a gift, and by the time the recipient got it, it was past the 30 days since purchased (this assuming the 30 days is from purchase, not from connecting).

I know when I called on mine, she didn't even ask for the purchase date, so maybe it depends on who you're talking to.

so maybe it depends on who you're talking to.

That is very true, because some members here called in, and didn't even have to fax in anything. The rep simply either said "Bleh, it's Christmas, here you go" or "I'm in a good mood so here's your map, no need to fax/email me anything"

When I called in for my LMG, he had me email a copy of my receipt while we were on the phone, and as soon as he looked at it, he said "looking for date.. looking for date.. ahh here it is.. YEP, you're within 30 days, I'm adding your new map to your account now" That's all he looked for.

Think about it ........many units were bought on "Black Friday' as Christmas presents a month later. By the time the recipient opened the gift and installed, it would have been past 30 days.

I think TT is used to this kind of scenario and will oblige the 'first use' policy. Those that get a crabby first line CS agent can usually get satisfaction by pursuing it with 2nd level.

But........the real issue here is how many users get screwed when Home says they have the latest maps when they don't and they just accept it and never get their freebee. Hundreds? Thousands?

Think about it ........many units were bought on "Black Friday' as Christmas presents a month later. By the time the recipient opened the gift and installed, it would have been past 30 days.

I think TT is used to this kind of scenario and will oblige the 'first use' policy. Those that get a crabby first line CS agent can usually get satisfaction by pursuing it with 2nd level.

But........the real issue here is how many users get screwed when Home says they have the latest maps when they don't and they just accept it and never get their freebee. Hundreds? Thousands?

That's the sad truth. And when users finally DO realize they were entitled to a freebie, months ago, TomTom just think's we're joking and happily refuse us, as we've seen happen to some members here.

I'm wondering if this is really a "bug" or more of a "scam" by TomTom, so users don't have to get new maps. Back then when TomTom didn't own TeleAtlas, they used to have to pay TeleAtlas a license fee for each map, correct? Brand new users who get the message "You already have the latest map" have no reason to suspect that TomTom is lying to them, so they just carry on thinking they have the latest and greatest. Then when you confront TomTom on THEIR own mistake (by telling you you had the latest map) they deny you a new map. How is a new user supposed to know to call tech support? That happened to a user here a few months ago. *sigh*

How's life been dhn? :) I'm traveling to Ohio tomorrow for the week, and hope TomTom doesn't fail me. Err I also here it's VERY cold in Ohio. It was just snowing there a few days ago. Canada been cold lately?

Ask a Question