Map Change

TomTom Model(s)
Start 55TM
I foolishly downloaded and installed a new set of maps for my TT. In doing so it erased all my favorites, prior destinations, etc.

I did a full backup before I did the map update so my question is this, where in the backup would I find that info to restore it into my TT. Or is this not possible.

Doctormstein1,

Your procedure worked like a charm and I have all my old settings back. Thanks very much............

Great thing about this forum, you can always get a prompt and helpful reply.

How to Save Favorites when updating the maps

Thank you as well, I wish I knew that BEFORE I did the update. I'll know better next time.:)

Going one step further (since I see that Favorites are stored in a .cfg file) is there any definition/specifications for that mapsetting.cfg file so I can create a spreadsheet of favorites, edit it, add or subtract from it, then just copy the whole new .cfg file into my TomTom?

Peeking inside the configfile with a hex dump program clearly shows some of my favorites, such as the name I assigned it, but also the street name assumed by TomTom before I overrode the suggested name and entered the name of my choice. But the location data is not ASCII (I suspect is is binary, maybe lat/long? maybe UTM?).

The program POIEdit is capable of opening your .cfg file and subsequently saved in a number of formats, including the *.csv you can play with using Excel or other programs.

It's got all kinds of uses in creating and manipulating POI data in a normal *.ov2 file or the mapsettings.cfg file. However, you can't use it to save a new mapsettings.cfg file. The format for that file seems to change from time to time. Still, you can fiddle it and save as a POI file if you like.

Anyway, the tool is here -> PoiEdit - Main

Last edited:

Ask a Question