Remembering Routes & Auto Change to Route Map - Start 25 UK & Eire

TomTom Model(s)
Start 25 UK & Eire
Hi all,
New to this site since buying my Start 25... so hopefully this is placed into the correct thread, etc.

Two major flaws I've noticed and wondering if anyone can help at all:-

1 - Even though I checked the "Remember last position" in the Start-up options, when I switch it off, the route disappears and I have to re-route again. What's going on with this?

2 - There appears to be no option to have the routing menu automatically flip to the map route. With my GO 520 this was great for planning a route and you did not have to touch it as it changed after 10 seconds to the map screen.

All the safety options don't seem to offer anything nor does the settings and advanced settings. So the safety aspect of these machines has gone bye bye as you still have to touch 'Done' to change a screen...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

1. The 'Continue where I left off' setting is supposed to put you in the same screen you were in when you shut off the unit. There is some convoluted algorithm that determines when a planned route is maintained and when it is lost. Has to do with how many hours the unit is off between power cycles. But, Drive to-->Recent destination and your destination will be at the top of the list.

Not sure what you mean by safety settings and advanced not offering anything. Can you clarify.

1. The 'Continue where I left off' setting is supposed to put you in the same screen you were in when you shut off the unit. There is some convoluted algorithm that determines when a planned route is maintained and when it is lost. Has to do with how many hours the unit is off between power cycles. But, Drive to-->Recent destination and your destination will be at the top of the list.

Not sure what you mean by safety settings and advanced not offering anything. Can you clarify.

Hi,
I always thought (as my GO 520 did do so even after 2 days switched off!) the "Continue ..." allowed when the unit was switched off, that when you switch back on again (say after a lunch break, etc.) it picked up the planned route from where it left off so there was no need to re-plan?

My old GO 520 had the facility that when you go to programme a route, after the route is planned the page changes to the Details Screen that gives you the view of the route you just put in.
Now on my GO 520 there was an option to auto-change to the Main 2D or 3D Route Screen after about 10 seconds or so...
Start 25 does not have this option so instead of planning route and driving off to let it auto-change, I have to sit there and wait for the route to plan, then press 'Done' to change to the Main Screen.

Last edited:
2 - There appears to be no option to have the routing menu automatically flip to the map route. With my GO 520 this was great for planning a route and you did not have to touch it as it changed after 10 seconds to the map screen.

Assuming the menus are the same as my (similar) Start model, the option to auto-close the route summary screen IS still there, but in a slightly hidden place.

Have a look in Settings / Route Planning / Route Summary.

My older models have all the options for toll roads, ferries etc. and auto-close on one long list of text screens, but here they have split it out into separate icons on a new preferences screen.

I'm not sure whether the Start 25 is one of the new 'reduced function' models, it appears it might be. That could be the reason. I know in a model I have here, there is an option under planning to have the route screen disappear after 10 seconds or not.

Assuming the menus are the same as my (similar) Start model, the option to auto-close the route summary screen IS still there, but in a slightly hidden place.

Have a look in Settings / Route Planning / Route Summary.

My older models have all the options for toll roads, ferries etc. and auto-close on one long list of text screens, but here they have split it out into separate icons on a new preferences screen.

Hi Andy,
Just ran outside to the car to check... and it's there!

Many thanks for this, now it auto-changes as it should.

Dave

I always thought (as my GO 520 did do so even after 2 days switched off!) the "Continue ..." allowed when the unit was switched off, that when you switch back on again (say after a lunch break, etc.) it picked up the planned route from where it left off so there was no need to re-plan?

I've given up trying to get it to do what i want it to...
Just opted for "ask for route" and entered Home and Work in for quick entry routing.
I'll see if this option works when i go home later.

Don't really need the Tom Tom for to and from work, but I find the Traffic assistance works wonders for the hour long, 52 mile trip there and back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question