Lost my maps & can't find activation code

If you're getting the activation issue, it's usually because the "activation.cab" file isn't present in the download (or less frequently wasn't copied properly to the device).

First go to "Help" -> "Check for HOME update" and make sure you have the latest 2.7 version of HOME.

Then go to "manage my ONE" and remove the map from the computer (not the Tomtom). Then go to Update my ONE and it'll redownload the map from the servers and redo the install. ("Update my ONE" remembers all purchases in the past year for your email address)

If you get the same error, check for the presence of the activation.cab file in this link. If missing, then there's something wrong with the Tomtom download process, and you'll have to call support. If it's present you can do the map install manually by following the link's instructions.

I have the exact same problem. I did not have the dct file either. tomtom support gave me the dct file along with the instructions below. I no longer get the activation error message, but my maps do not seem to be working. When I ran the instructions below, it removed the following folders from /HOME/Download/complete: ephemeris, loquendovoice, map. I tried copying these folders back, but that did not work either.

________
Instructions

- Connect the device to the computer
- Go to TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems
- 'Log In' in the upper right hand corner
- Click on 'My TomTom' in the upper right hand corner
- Click on 'My Questions History'
- Look for the subject line with our reference number associated to it
- There will be a file listed, "(Name of map).meta.dct"
- Click on this and save it to your desktop
- Once downloaded, open My Computer > TomTom drive > "USA_and_Canada" folder
- Drag the downloaded meta.dct file to the "USA_and_Canada" folder
- Then perform the following steps:

Windows XP:
1) Open TomTom Home
2) Go to the second page of the main menu, click on 'Remove Items from my device'
3) When the page loads ONLY remove the application
4) Once this is done close the Home program
You will now need to delete the contents of the downloads folder. The steps to perform this are listed below:
1) Click 'Start', go to 'My Documents'
2) In 'My Documents' there is going to be a TomTom folder, open this
3) There should now be a Home folder, open this
4) Then open the 'Downloads' folder, then 'Completed' folder and delete EVERYTHING inside of it

- Now open TomTom Home, it will run for updates, the application will come up.
- Click on update and install.
- If Home asks you to restart the device click ok but do NOT restart the device.
- Click done, then go to the upper left hand corner to 'Device' and choose 'Disconnect device'.
- It will prompt you that you can now unplug from the computer. Once the unit is
unplugged from the computer the unit should load fully and load the map without any issues.

This time the person I talked to on the support line was extremely knowledgeable. In addition to the dct file the previous support person provided me with, it took a reload of the map to fix the problem. Everything works fine now. In the previous post, the instructions mentioned deleting all of the files in the "complete" folder. Talking to the most recent support person, it sounds like this was unnecessary. I hope your problem can be solved quickly.

The post you replied to was before we saw the flood of map/activation issues lately.

You're correct, what seems to work now is that you need to manually install the activation.cab file per these instructions.

Sometimes it's not available and you have to call back Tomtom to have them give you one.

Ask a Question