Lost my maps & can't find activation code

TomTom Model(s)
XL Classic v2
I bought a XL Classic yesterday from Halfords & came with UK, ROI and Western Europe maps. When I plugged it into TomTom Home, it come up saying there was an update to my maps (the Western Europe one).

So I downloaded it and when it transferred across it came up saying I needed to activate the map. Problem is I can't find any activation codes - nothing in the box or on the receipt.

Then I went to manage my TomTom and deleted the Western Europe map. Now when I turn on the TomTom it says it can't find any maps.

So what do I do? Try a factory reset (but will that mean I get my original maps back) or try and get my activation code from somewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

All map activations are done via the TomTom Home application, your new map will still be stored on your PC so don't worry too much just yet, to locate the map download start up TomTom Home and tap settings/ TomTom Home preferences one of the lines will point to the folder path that home uses to store downloads use Windows Explorer to locate that folder and have a look in it, what files are in it - Mike

Hi Mike,

I know where the maps are on my PC. I've just transferred over the 1gb Western Europe map but when I try to load it up on the TomTom (or go to Operate my XL) is comes up with a red screen saying:
Problem with map
You cannot use this map on this device: Western_Europe_1GB

If I go to Manage my device and have a look at the maps section it shows the Western Europe map but it says "This item cannot be used on this device because it needs to be activated first"

So to me it seems like I'm back to the activation problem - where do I get the activation key from? I've got a serial number on the bottom of the box but I can't find any group of letters and digits (a total of 15 I believe?)

Thanks for your help

Hi - thanks for your help although I'm not sure I'm explaining it properly. I know where the map is, I've even transferred it back to the TomTom device but when I load up the device & try to select the map it says:

Problem with map

If I go to Manage my device and have a look at the maps section it shows the Western Europe map but it says "This item cannot be used on this device because it needs to be activated first"

So to me it seems like I'm back to the activation problem - where do I get the activation key from? I've got a serial number on the bottom of the box but I can't find any group of letters and digits (a total of 15 I believe?)

Try this:

Download and run the ClearFlash tool found here...

tomtom.com/6211

Run it 3 times. Supposed to help in situations like this.

Ok, I downloaded that clear flash app and ran it 3 times but still have the same problem. Just continues to say:

Problem with map

I've been looking into how to get this activation code and I keep reading that I need a product code which I don't seem to have. I got a little shrink-wrapped box when I bought it - there's no CD (so no activation code on it) and one crappy little user manual which doesn't have any codes on it. There's no other paper in the box.

On TT Code - TomTom Product Activation. if I hit Lost my product code it just takes me to the support section which tells me the usual stuff: TT Code. None of this is applicable because I didn't get a CD & my TomTom home app says I need to activate

Any idea on where else I can find it?

Mate there is no satellite bars - the TomTom won't boot up all the way because it says my map isn't supported. I can't get any further or do anything else on the actual device. Seems like it won't work without have a map on it.

Also I called Halfords to figure out where this product code is & they told me to look on the bottom of the device. So I did & it's just got the same serial number that's on the box. Problem is it's 12 characters long (mixture of numbers & letters) but the product activation page on the TomTom site says it's an invalid code.

So once again I'm stuck. Going to call up TomTom UK when I get a chance.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your time

Use Explorer. Look in the specific map folder on your unit. There will be a file with an extension of .pna.

Open it and the last values on the first line will say the version number of the map.

Here's the contents of the whole PNA file:

ID=Western_Europe_1GB.pna
build=2561
id=381582

So what is it I'm looking for here?
Thanks

The '840'. You have the latest map on the unit.

Did you try the reinstall without using Home using the link I posted previously?

If you're talking about the ClearFlash application yes I ran it three times. I didn't try and reupload the map though - is that what I should be going?

As for following the instructions on https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html no I didn't do this.

The problem to me seems like something to do with activation. I can download and copy the map to the device fine. if the device is disconnected from my PC I can turn it on but the first page just says the Western Europe map isn't compatible and that's it - I can't see or do anything else.

So this is why I don't think it's a problem copying the map - it's how to activate it the map (which again seems strange to me - the device worked fine until I did this recommended update of the map)

Please try the steps in the link you referred to in your post (installing the map without Home) and then report back.

Is there a file within your Western Europe map folder with an extension of .meta.dct as this is the activation code if its missing the map hasn't downloaded correctly and as you are using the LMG option if this is the case I would give TomTom support a ring in the morning on 0845 161 0009 - Mike

I'd like you to try one more thing.......

Connect the unit to Home. Go to Manage Favourites. Add one. Save it. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer (use Home's Device disconnect icon).

Restart the unit. Does it work now? If so, make an Explorer backup, not Home, of your unit's contents. If not and if you just bought the unit then return it. I understand that Halford's is a reputable chain in the UK.

You shouldn't be going through the aggrevation you are.

Last edited:
I understand that Halford's is a reputable chain in the UK.
Well they do have a reputation but thats certainly NOT the same thing as you are refering to David!

Go back to my previous post and please re-check whether there is a file with the extension .meta.dct in your map folder, there should be three files all with the same name as the map folder, something like:
Western_Europe_1GB
and one of these should have the .meta.dct extension without this specific file the device won't see the map correctly - Mike

I am having the exact same problem with my xl classic and have tried all the above anyone got any other suggestions as tom tom are not open tiill monday

Ask a Question