Losing Signal

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hey folks, I have a GO 720 and recently while using it for the first time attached to the window we noticed that the screen kept changing from the map direction screen to the first icon screen as if it were touched. We kept touching done to return to the map but it went back to the icon screen again. We had to turn it off and take it off the window. It reallly only did it in the sun, not at night. But every time it was on the window it did it.

Any thoughts??

There's a small space between the touch screen and the frame before the gasket. Make sure there's not something stuck in there. It sounds like the sun is heating up the unit causing expansion and faking a button press. You could have a bad touch screen but that's not common in these units.

During on of the firmware updates from TT they increased the pressure it took to press the screen. This may have been because of issues like you describe. Check to see what version of firmware you have and if it's not the latest you might want to try installing the latest and see if your issues clears up.

There's a small space between the touch screen and the frame before the gasket. Make sure there's not something stuck in there. It sounds like the sun is heating up the unit causing expansion and faking a button press. You could have a bad touch screen but that's not common in these units.

During on of the firmware updates from TT they increased the pressure it took to press the screen. This may have been because of issues like you describe. Check to see what version of firmware you have and if it's not the latest you might want to try installing the latest and see if your issues clears up.

Great stuff thanks BR, I will have a look, by the way, how do I find out my firmware version and where do I get the latest from.

Thanks in advance.

To find out the firmware version tap the satellite bars in the lower right corner and it'll take you to a page where, on the lower right hand side you'll see a small rectangle with a number in it. That's your firmware version. If you tap that button it'll take you to another page that'll have your map version on it. To get the latest version connect to TT Home, let it find updates, and it should offer it to you.

To find out the firmware version tap the satellite bars in the lower right corner and it'll take you to a page where, on the lower right hand side you'll see a small rectangle with a number in it. That's your firmware version. If you tap that button it'll take you to another page that'll have your map version on it. To get the latest version connect to TT Home, let it find updates, and it should offer it to you.

Thanks again BR, I will give it a go.

Ok BR I have done that and it says Version 8.010, I will go onto TomTom and see if it's the latest.

I have been onto TomTom Home and downloaded updates but the version has remained the same. Do I need to download the latest map as mine is not the the latest but the second latest.

You have the latest firmware. You don't need the latest maps unless you just want them.

If you've cleaned around the screen frame and it's still doing it you should call TT and put in a service request.

You have the latest firmware. You don't need the latest maps unless you just want them.

If you've cleaned around the screen frame and it's still doing it you should call TT and put in a service request.

No worries BR I have actually organised that, I am waiting on the reciept from my seller and I phoned TomTom today. They said to send it to them and they will service it. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it and I will let you know what happens.;)

Ask a Question