TT One XL - losing GPS signal

Hi. I have had my TomTom One XL for about 3 months now and have had troubles with it's ability to keep a GPS signal from the day I got it.

I regularly do a 200 mile trip up and down England and, in this 3 or 4 hour trip, the device will lose signal maybe 20 or 30 times which can be very frustrating. I have used my girlfriend's old TomTom one device and have made the trip with that without it losing signal once and had a similar experience with the GPS on my Nokia 5800 mobile phone.

It seems that (I might just be reading too much into coincidinces) when the signal has been lost, if I tap the "signal strength meter" and go onto the "satelite range" it will sometimes pick up the signal again straight away, going from the light blue to dark blue signal bars instantly. It is as if this has somehow made the device recalculate or update it's position - however this doesn't always work.

Looking around here it seems that a good fix would be to use Explorer to delete everything in the ephem folder on my unit and then delete all the subfolders from \My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris. Is this advisable for my problem and if not what would be a good alternative to try - if anything?

Well, try that and connect to Home to get a new gpsquickfix file. It may help.

Ask a Question