Losing signal?

My friend has a Tomtom One XL-S and he can drive along for hours and all of a sudden it loses all signal, from 5 signal bars to zero. This lasts for a minute or two then he gets the bars back. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Other than a person suddenly driving into an area where a signal may be blocked by high buildings, tunnels, etc., there should be no reason for that occuring. I suspect the 'one hour' is a coincidence and that your friend is travelling into one of the blocked areas.

There have been reports that some gps drivers find their signals go 'missing' when they drive near some military bases and signal blocking is taking place.

Or, my fall-back answer. Aliens. :D

(but I think the first paragraph above is really the reason)

Anyone know what might be causing this?
Yes, poor reception.

There is either poor satellite geometry or something obstructing the signal, trees, buildings, mountains.

The only other explanation is that there is a local source of interference from a repeater or similar. That is far less likely though.

You are moving, the satellites are moving, sometimes it just so happens that your receiver can't see enough sats to get a good fix. At least it comes back!

I've been wondering, do these work well on very rainy/pouring days? I know my friend's Direct TV would always go out when it rained, but those signals are much more complex than these gps signals right? Wrong?

Ask a Question