Itineraries on a ONE 3rd ??

This is very true. I "upgraded" to version 8.010 yesterday only to find that it froze when trying to access the itinerary functions. It also froze upon startup about half the time. I ditched the new version and went back to 7.166. All is well again.

Please remind me of what files I need to restore to go back to 7.166. Is it just the TTsystem file?

Thanks,

Steve

Please remind me of what files I need to restore to go back to 7.166. Is it just the TTsystem file?

Basically, it's everything EXCEPT the map folder.

(On Page 1 of this thread, I posted a link where you can download v7 software that should work for you.)

Itineraries One-3rd

My unit got messed up the same way as others on Itineraries after an update.:mad:

I also noticed I could get itineraries to work when running the unit remotely using the TomTom software (which seemed strange to me). It did not work when using is as a stand alone.:confused:

I also found that when I used Restore (using TomTom software) it did NOT restore the unit to the previous level or version as I thought it would.:confused:

What did work for me is that I had a complete copy of the TomTom Root directory in my computer (I use the free "Total Commander" utility to make copies which include hidden files).:)

I restored the unit by copying all the files and overwriting newer files. :)

Then I was back to where Itineraries worked and did NOT reboot the unit.:)

Now that I got back I'm afraid to update my TomTom because I use Itineraries along with the "Tyre" Google map often.:eek:

I would really appreciate it if they come out with a newer update that someone lets us know if Itineraries will work with the newer update.:)

Last edited:
I would really appreciate it if they come out with a newer update that someone lets us know if Itineraries will work with the newer update.:)
I'm weathering through the 8.010 update (I rarely used the Itinerary feature under 7.166, but need the improved MapShare capabilities).

So, I'll definitely send out feature reports as(when) new NavCore8 updates begin to appear.

R?

Does anyone know if any of the information in this thread would also apply to a ONE 130? I got one as a gift and really want to be able to use itineraries on it. I don't even care if I have to prepare the itineraries manually as text files -- I'd just like the ONE to be able to use them.

Any ideas? Anyone know whether the older software will work on a 130?

--mark

Two big thumbs up!

Hi, this is my first post.
Just wanted to say, lots of great contributers here.
I just bought my first gps, the One 3rd. Being a newb, I thought any GPS would have the capability like Itineraries and plotting from maps.
Boy was I wrong.

Without the following, I would be a pretty pissed off person. I use my One3rd on my motorcycle and like to plan routs.

Big thanks goes to:

Rick, for posting that link to the customizing menu with the mnu file.
46jimbo, for the older firmware
Jan - for Tyre, a little buggy, but it works!
Whomever made this forum!

Hi, this is my first post.
Just wanted to say, lots of great contributers here.
I just bought my first gps, the One 3rd. Being a newb, I thought any GPS would have the capability like Itineraries and plotting from maps.
Boy was I wrong.

Without the following, I would be a pretty pissed off person. I use my One3rd on my motorcycle and like to plan routs.

Big thanks goes to:

Rick, for posting that link to the customizing menu with the mnu file.
46jimbo, for the older firmware
Jan - for Tyre, a little buggy, but it works!
Whomever made this forum!
You're welcome.

Be sure to make a backup of all your files using Windows Explorer (not TT Home). Make sure your settings for Explorer are set to view 'hidden files'.

Also, if you like the custom menu, don't update to the latest firmware (or application) being offered by HOME. Ver 8.010 breaks the itinerary planning. I'm still on ver 7.166 myself.

You're welcome.

Be sure to make a backup of all your files using Windows Explorer (not TT Home). Make sure your settings for Explorer are set to view 'hidden files'.

Also, if you like the custom menu, don't update to the latest firmware (or application) being offered by HOME. Ver 8.010 breaks the itinerary planning. I'm still on ver 7.166 myself.

Hi Rick. There seem to be some discrepencies on the Navcore8 capabilities.
If you read 46Jimbo and Ricochet's post on the following link:
http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=9804&page=2

They state:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
I'm experimenting with a copy of Navcore 8 on my One v2, and it does NOT eliminate 'Itinerary planning' and DOES allow a custom menu (that is, it reads the 'SdkRegistry' folder).

Maybe TomTom is trying to lock down the 3rd Edition, but the other One models will continue to function as before.
I can report that my ONE 3rd edition running 8.010 does read the SDKRegistry folder. Custom menus & apps all function (where apps= Calculator, MenuTT, Suntime, Splashback, & Skip Waypoint). Custom Car icons & Splashscreens also still work.

Other than the Compass Heading display, the only thing I've found to be broken by Nav8 is Itinerary Planning. I've reported this issue to TomTom's tech spt & it's "on their list" ...whatever that means.

-R?

As HOME has never offered me Navcore8, I cannot experiment myself.

Hey Rick.
Already done from a previous post on backing up. I also made a copy of all files that were overwrote with the older firmware and turned Home auto updating off.

Also, made a small donation to that link you provided and to TYRE.

Road over 300 Km Saturday, my first long day trip with my Tom and no problems.
Those features, I cannot live without.

So happy it worked with no problems!

Hey Rick.
Already done from a previous post on backing up. I also made a copy of all files that were overwrote with the older firmware and turned Home auto updating off.

Also, made a small donation to that link you provided and to TYRE.

Road over 300 Km Saturday, my first long day trip with my Tom and no problems.
Those features, I cannot live without.

So happy it worked with no problems!

...and I thank you VERY much for your donation!

Thanks Birdman, I saw that.

Hopefully 46Jimbo's testing of ver 8.010 will yield some good information.

I posted my comment because 'Kurtman' has a 3rd edtion, and according to many (including R?), ver 8.010 does in fact break the intinerary planning function on the 3rd editions.
Other than the Compass Heading display, the only thing I've found to be broken by Nav8 is Itinerary Planning. I've reported this issue to TomTom's tech spt & it's "on their list" ...whatever that means.

-R?
Four days ago I sent an email to TT support about ver 8 breaking itinerary planning on the 3rd's where owners have added the custom menu. Told them it's continued to be offered to me as an update - and to please fix it or remove from being offered. The only email I got from them so far is the automated one saying they'll reply in 48 hours. It's already been 96 hours. :rolleyes:

Hi Rick. There seem to be some discrepencies on the Navcore8 capabilities.
If you read 46Jimbo and Ricochet's post on the following link:
http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=9804&page=2
I noticed this, too. I was trying to contrast v2 & v3 behaviors under Nav8.

It's possible that the OS-level files in the two units are just different enough to be giving the reported results. Or it could simply be an unstable update which randomly breaks things, regardless of version. :p

R?

Hopefully 46Jimbo's testing of ver 8.010 will yield some good information.

I found that the v8 software caused my TTOne v2 to lag badly. Map movement is jerky.

This is obviously a version for other units that's been 'hacked' for the One. So until a proper version for my unit becomes available, I'm sticking with v7.

Well, I finally got an email response from TomTom support. It looks like they're not planning on correcting the firmware (ver. 8.010) to work with 3rd party software so intinerary planning will work on the 3rd edtions. :mad:

Here's what they wrote:

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:27 AM -

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support regarding the issues you have experienced with the recent update for your ONE. It is always our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help.

The TomTom ONE 3rd Edition was not released with the itinerary feature enabled on the device. We do offer many devices that do support itinerary planning. We recommend using our product advisor on our website when choosing a new navigation device to ensure the device you purchase has all of the features you are looking for. This can be found by following the link below:

http://www.tomtom.com/productadvisor

(... I bolded this next paragraph myself - not TomTom )
Customers that have used 3rd party software to alter a device and add itinerary planning have voided the warranty for their device. Modified software is also not supported by our software updates. If there is an issue between a modification that you have made to your device, and the software update we have released we recommend that you remove any modifications and use the official update.

More information about the EULA and the warranty for all of our devices can be found by following the link below:

http://www.tomtom.com/legal

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

This is what I wrote to TT support in my email:

06/19/2008 11:38 AM -

Your application update (8.010) breaks all the TomTom 3rd editions that have added the custom menu. The itinerary function no longer works when 8.010 is installed, and the unit freezes when you tap 'itinerary planning'. Those who require itinerary planning have had no other choice but to fall back to the earlier version - 7.166.

I have to constantly ignore the 8.010 update that is being offered for my TT 3rd edition. Please fix this update, or... remove it from the server.

Thank you.
Rick F.

Last edited:
3rd edition listed on TT website as supporting Itineraries

Unless I'm reading this wrong, it looks to me that TomTom indicates the 3rd edition supports Itineraries.

I went to their site directly from TomTom Home and 3rd edition is listed as supporting itineraries: It has a heading, DOES MY DEVICE SUPPORT THIS TYPE OF CONTENT http://create.tomtom.com/manuals/create-your-own-content/introduction_content_creation.htm
You might want to screencapture the site to prove to their support that Itineraries are supported on 3rd Edition according to their own website.

Thanks.

I sent them the link you shared. Thanks.

What troubles me is their position that we're voiding their warranty when we add custom menu or other 3rd party applications. I would think that a GPS is similar to a computer where we can add software. Can you imagine a PC with just Microsoft Windows and nothing else? No thank you.

<< edit >>

Well, I thought I emailed them that info. The mail daemon says no such address. You can't just reply to their emails from TomTom. Sheesh! I'm not going thru their webpage to mail them back again.

I see why so many folks are upset with TomTom's support. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps anyone, but I'll throw it out there. I was having some problems on my One 130 with the itinerary planning locking up like you folks. I recently compiled up a custom kernel from my One 130 that changes the platform ID string to make it think it's a Rider instead. After booting the custom kernel, the itinerary stuff started working correctly (this is on Navcore 8.010). So, it appears as though tomtom might be doing something to purposely disable this for units that aren't "supposed" to have it.

If you're interested in more information on how to modify the kernel, you might want to check out: https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=10105

If folks are interested in playing with it, but not in getting an entire toolchain running, I might be convinced to put my ttsystem file available for upload somewhere.

Ask a Question