Go 910: How do you use itineraries?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 910
I only recently discovered the Go 910 has an itinerary function. I have tried playing with it, but the manual is lacking in real information.

I set up some points on an itinerary, but after I got to the first point it just seemed to end, like a normal route navigation to a single point.

Can this function be used usefully or am I wasting my time?

What I am doing it planning a US road trip, and I have all the waypoints in google maps, which I plan to import, and it would be cool if I could pre-progam each day's way points so it would take us from one to the next.

Also, is there a way to load in the google maps routes and have it follow them? As several routes do not take whatthe satnav will think is the best route.

When you add a point it's default property is that of a destination. Click on that newly added point to bring up a new menu that will allow you to change its property to that of a waypoint. That same new menu also allows you to move points up and down the list and into the desired sequence.

Play with those tools for a while and then come back with any new questions.

I'm sure I read that and made the property changes.

Assuming I have done it all right, should I be able to program an itinerary route, and the TT will take me to each point in turn, without further input on the road?

Or, is it possible to use saved routes from google maps, imported from a KML file, and make the TT follow them, cos that would be even better.

TomTom devices do not recognise Google's kml/kmz formats. There may be software tools available to translate from kml to TomTom's itn itinerary format. Maybe someone will point you to something useful in that regard.

The reason navigation stopped at the first point was that is was set as a destination. Yes, make a point a Waypoint and navigation will continue seamlessly when you pass through a point.

I was sure I did, but maybe not. I didn't know what to expect (I knew what I thought it should do, but didn't know if TT were on my wavelength!) but now I know it should do what I want, I can play further...,

Presumably, after testing locally on my UK mapping, I can switch to the US mapping and program my intineraries there and save them, and all should be ready to go when I fly over?

Yes. One detail to note: be careful when placing points onto divided (dual carriageway) highways. If you are careless and place the waypoint onto the wrong side of the highway TomTom will navigate a detour to bring you through the waypoint you chose and not be the one you intended. TomTom treats the two directions as separate and different roads. So always zoom in as far as possible to ensure accurate waypoint placements.

thanks fo rthe heads up. I have been pretty careful I think, zooming right in.
I can preview the intended route hopefully when itinerary planning?

Ask a Question