Importing Itineraries from the Web?

Hi--

I run myscenicdrives.com and one of the things that is provided are the GPS-importable files to take both our scenic routes or your planned trips. I've been doing this for TomTom's via the .ITN files, however, I recently had a user have some issues and borrowed a friend's Via 1535, only to notice that this device doesn't show up as a disk drive on the computer or appear to have software support for the .ITNs.

I talked to TomTom support and didn't get a great answer from them, so I was hoping that maybe you guys could help. Is there a list of devices that support the .ITN files? Are they only supported on the older devices? For devices that don't support the .ITN files, how usable would be a file of Stops via a OV2 file?

So I guess my question boils down to what is the most useful way for TomTom users to use such a route and could you guys recommend a device for testing?

Thanks for any assistance.

Eric

The 10X models have introduced a form of planning a trip with up to 4 waypoints, not the 48 that older models using Itineraries have.

You can load a custom ov2 file into the new models BUT you will only see those points within a 50 mile range from where you are.

Check the model reference in this link:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...el-feature-reference-updated-8-20-2011-a.html

for those that can use the full Itinerary Planning.

I talked to TomTom support and didn't get a great answer from them,
Unfortunately, that's no great surprise...

so I was hoping that maybe you guys could help. Is there a list of devices that support the .ITN files?
Yes, download mvl's hardware comparison chart from here.
It's an Excel file and row 46 "Itinerary Saving" is the one you need to look at.

Are they only supported on the older devices?

Pretty much, yes. So far, none of the models that use "MyTomTom" instead of "Home" (and also don't show up on a PC as a disk drive) can load or save or create full itineraries like the old models can.

For devices that don't support the .ITN files, how usable would be a file of Stops via a OV2 file?

I guess that would work.
It would be best to number the stops in their names, but the TomTom would still re-sort them in distance as the crow flies.
It will work in the same way on ANY TomTom, so you can try it out on any model you have already.

Thanks for the quick replies! Sounds like there's no easy way to make it work but I'll definitely check out the OV2 files and see what I can get to work there. Thanks!

Eric

Ask a Question