Is this normal?

my tom tom one classic was taking 5-6 minutes to pick a gps signal up, so i followed the advice from tom tom about clicking on the satellite bars and letting the yellow and black symbol turn and pick up signals until it found three blue bars, ive done this and tried it today outside, its took 60 seconds to find my street, is this acceptable, my old tom tom one is much quicker, tom tom then say i may have to remove some files from the software, seems a lot of messing about to me

If you use your unit frequently (every couple of days) you should find the grabbing of the signal will go faster.

You'll also get a boost from downloading quickgpsfix every few days.

A valid quickgpsfix file gets a tomtom to pick up signal in under 5 seconds.

However you need to download at least every 2-3 days. An expired quickgpsfix file takes longer to get a fix than no file at all.

Does quickGPSfix still show up on HOME (can you tell when it is available). I used to see updates every few days....It has been months since I last saw an update shown for quickGPSfix in HOME. I have wondered if it is just updating silently in the background...or if it simply is not updating for some reason.

Do this: use Explorer to delete anything in your ephem folder on your unit.

Now, in your C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris folder, delete any sub folders there.

Connect to Home and see if you get a file update now.

Thanks for the tip DHN...I did the steps you indicated. That was the first time I have seen quickGPSfix offered in a TT Home update in months.

I use my TomTom One 140 several times per day. I have found that it takes 3-5 seconds upon power up to get a GPS lock with QuickGPSfix installed and up to date. Without it installed it's more like 30 seconds to get a GPS lock.

In my case, having QuickGPSfix installed speeds up the TomTom One 140 getting a GPS lock upon start up - as it is designed to do.

Ask a Question