Soft reset required for normal operation

Been having this issue for about 6 months now, but just found this forum!

I have a TomTom XL that after some Home updates along the way now requires a soft reset everytime I turn it on. If I press the power button once, the screen glows a little but no image at all appears and nothing else ever happens. I discovered that if I hold the power button in for a count of 15 the TomTom logo appears, a long delay occurs, and then the legal disclaimer appears. I tried formatting, clearflash, etc. back in July but nothing recently since I don't want to brick it.

Other than the annoying soft reset required every time I turn it on, the unit works fine. Anyone have any ideas how I can fix the issue without making things any worse?!

Although I don't see anything showing the firmware version, I dug this (redacted) info out of Help/About:

ttgo.bif file contents:
[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom XL
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL (v9)
DeviceSerialNumber=##########
DeviceUniqueID=#########
RamDiskVersion=20080529
BootLoaderVersion=55019
LinuxVersion=190943
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010
ApplicationVersion=9369
UserLanguage=English US
UserName=######@#####.com
LastConnectionTime=Never
GPSFirmwareVersion=
BuiltInColorScheme0=Belgica
BuiltInColorScheme1=Brittanica
BuiltInColorScheme2=America
etc., etc.

Try backing up the unit with Explorer, not Home. Then format the unit (not quickformat) and then use Explorer to restore the backup.

After I backup, do I let Home reinstall the O/S and then move my backup over? Or do I just backup the entire device through Explorer, format, and then dump everything back on from the backup with no Home interaction?

Just dump everything back since part of the original backup was the application itself.

Ask a Question