Long time to find Satellites ?? Is this normal?

I recently purchased a Tom Tom One 3rd ED back in Dec. Recently it seems to take an extremely long time when I turn it on to find a Satellite ? The screen comes on and is white and grey listing the previous destination I was at when I turned it off? Is this normal function of the device or am I experiencing some of the strange issues many users have reported previously? Or do I need to calibrate the Satellites that is trying to use?

Last edited:
When you turn the device on, it often defaults to where you ended off when you last turned it off. If will normally be a grayish color screen showing the last screen you were at when it was turned off. You can go to the preferences tab, and then scroll over to start up preferences, and that will give you some other options for what will be displayed when you turn your unit on. Your options should include 1) start where I left off; 2) ask for a destination; or 3) show the main menu.
Regarding the satellite issue, when you say "extremely long" how long is it taking to find the satellites?

Here are a couple of basic tips you can try:

1) Make sure at least weekly you are downloading the latest "quick fix" files via TomTom Home.

2) Make sure you are in an area that will provide good reception. For instance, if I turn the unit on when Im in my garage (which is the ground floor of a 3 level townhome), it will often take longer to find the satellites, than if I were to turn it off after Im out of my garage.

Normally it can take up to 5 minutes to find the satillite, is this normal or do I need to calibrate the device?

I did the update that you recommended, one of the fixes was actually a quickfix to retrieve satillite info quicker. So hopefully that will work. I'll give it a try and post the results. Thanks again for the info!!

try downloading GPSfix from 1/13

Howdy,

Usually mine takes about 30 seconds to find a sat. If I do a reset, it takes about 1.5 to 2 minutes.

BTW, last night (1/13), I downloaded and installed the latest GPSfix and wow --- as soon as I turn on my TT1 (V2), and as soon as it gets past the splash screen, I've got 5 bars.

Mine downloads a quick fix update every time I update mine (every 2 days or so). Do they keep updating that often or is it trying to get the same one over and over?

Mine downloads a quick fix update every time I update mine (every 2 days or so). Do they keep updating that often or is it trying to get the same one over and over?

Different one each time. By the way, each quickfix is stored in a folder on your computer and numbered sequentially. I 'think' the folder is found in the location of your download folder and is the ephem folder. Not positive that that is it but I know it's somewhere!:eek:

Ask a Question