Irritating problem with new xxl 540

TomTom Model(s)
XXL540TM
We live on top of a mountain in NC and this dumb TomTom routes us OVER the other side of the mountain in a roundabout way to get to the main highway we always use so whenever we depart from home we have to put up with "TURN AROUND TURN AROUND" from the device when we just want to go our normal route out of our development.
How can we change this? Can we change this? Tried Fastest Route, Shortest Route and even Walking Route - no go.
Tried through "Alternative Route" and that does not fix it.
Also, we are on an "unnamed road" because we have a long driveway...can we change that to the name of the road our driveway starts at and is our mailing address?
Thanks in advance. :confused:

Have you found "Mapshare" yet?

In the menus, find "Corrrect a map error".
Once you have joined Mapshare, you will be able to add the name of your road (and share that with others) and you will also be able to BLOCK the road you do not want to use, to stop the TomTom routing along it (but as the road is not ACTUALLY blocked you should NOT sharethat correction with others).

Thanks, I tried blocking the road before I posted...it says it can't find another route!! Hee,hee, house has been here for 20 years. Roads have been here since the Cherokee Indians.
It actually has the road our LONG driveway connects to but will not route us to go out on that road; it insists on routing us out the back of our property over a long gravel road in opposite direction of the highway! Pretty insane.
I guess we will have to wait until we are at the highway to start the TomTom. :mad:

Any chance that your unit is configured to avoid unpaved roads without asking? Check your Planning Preferences.

Solved problem

Okay, no, unpaved roads was not programed to be avoided. Scratch that.

What I did was somehow find my way to the menu where you can edit and correct maps and I made the road they were diverting us to unusable (blocked) in both directions. I also had to rename some sections of the road that we WANTED to travel on which was not named consistently through its whole length.
Now it works the way we want it to....whew! :)

Hey, all our roads are gravel on our mountain. They've been here since the Cherokees but have never been paved.

Ask a Question