This is irritating..all locations off by several hundred feel to 1/2 mile.

I'm very irritated with my XL325SE.
I put in the address of a Chinese restaurant in the neighboring town from my own, and wanted to take my wife to dinner.

The road is wind-e, and turning out to a place of business requires a lot of advanced notice...which I didn't get from my unit because it reported the location about 1/4 mile or so early...arggg.....

it's consistent in doing this...all early.

This was an address that I input from Google maps...not a preloaded POI....

is there ANYTHING that can be done to improve this situation?

The reality is neither maps nor poi data are perfect in some cases. You can make changes using mapshare regarding address re-location and moving pois.

The reality is neither maps nor poi data are perfect in some cases. You can make changes using mapshare regarding address re-location and moving pois.

Ok....so it's fair to say that this isn't what I should expect 100% of the time?

Secondly, I was looking for a way to correct it while I was sitting in their parking lot and didn't see it.
How can I tell my unit..."correct this address to where I'm sitting right now"?

I don't think you can do that. About the best you can do is save the location as a favourite, or add as a new POI. This seems to be an issue with all GPS units. What I do if I want an exact location is that I go into google earth and save the exact location as a place and then transfer it as a POI to the GPS. There does not see to be any function to adjust adresses on Mapshare.

I don't think you can do that. About the best you can do is save the location as a favourite, or add as a new POI. This seems to be an issue with all GPS units. What I do if I want an exact location is that I go into google earth and save the exact location as a place and then transfer it as a POI to the GPS. There does not see to be any function to adjust adresses on Mapshare.

You mean lattitude and long? Or something else?

I'm actually willing to do that if necessary....

Map corrections (page 2 of main menu)-->Correct a map error-->arrow right-->Edit a POI --> poi near you -->[select the poi category]-->select the specific poi in question -->on the next screen click 'select'.

Next screen, check 'move the poi on map. Click 'done'.

Next screen, 'Find', arrow right, click 'my location' . Click 'done'

Map corrections (page 2 of main menu)-->Correct a map error-->arrow right-->Edit a POI --> poi near you -->[select the poi category]-->select the specific poi in question -->on the next screen click 'select'.

Next screen, check 'move the poi on map. Click 'done'.

Next screen, 'Find', arrow right, click 'my location' . Click 'done'

How does that work if this isn't in the POI database but only an address that I input as a "navigate to"?

Then you can only report it.......Existing street-->on map-->done-->check 'wrong or missing house number'

Then you can only report it.......Existing street-->on map-->done-->check 'wrong or missing house number'

thank you for clarifying that.

PS: I mentioned this to my wife and she told me that when she drove to Grove city PA last week, it led her right to the door of the location perfectly....go figure.

Here is was I do if I need exact locations. I run google earth and put a place market right where I want to go. I then save the place or places as a .kml file. I then open it up in poiedit and save it as a TOMTOM .ov2 file. Then I drop it into the map directory on the GPS while it is plugged into the computer. If you have a bunch of realated places, you can put them all under a folder on google earth and then save the folder as a kml files. These files will show up as a POI catagory. They are quite accurate if you do it this way. I guess you could also just note the co-ordinates and type them in!

There is probably an easier way to do this. :)

If it works for you and you are comfortable doing it that way, then keep using that method.

Ask a Question