Installing European Maps on US 720?

I recently bought a new GO720 - and absolutely love it. The unit works flawlessly, and I managed to load a bunch of celebrity voices and enable voice recognition. (And why would people buy a 920, exactly?)

The next step in the great experimentation is to see if I can load European maps (in addition to the US maps). So:

1. Could the external SD card be used to hold additional maps (in addition to the primary US map that's loaded in the unit)?

2. If so, where (and how) would one get the European maps? I've heard that you have to 'fool' the TomTom site into thinking you're a European customer by logging into the European TomTom site.

Just curious.

Last edited:
I recently bought a new GO720 - and absolutely love it. The unit works flawlessly, and I managed to load a bunch of celebrity voices and enable voice recognition. (And why would people buy a 920, exactly?)

The next step in the great experimentation is to see if I can load European maps (in addition to the US maps). So:

1. Could the external SD card be used to hold additional maps (in addition to the primary US map that's loaded in the unit)?

2. If so, where (and how) would one get the European maps? I've heard that you have to 'fool' the TomTom site into thinking you're a European customer by logging into the European TomTom site.

Just curious.

First, you certainly can put the European map on a sd card and keep the NA map on internal memory with a 720. BUT, my understanding is that there seems to be a difference between the European maps that are being offered. You may want to go to this (British) forum and investigate which would be best for your needs:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=93

Which leads to the second question you asked. My understanding is that you log into your account at tomtom.com and THEN change the country setting to UK. There you can see the link for Additional maps you can BUY for a 720. And yes, when it comes to actually completing the purchase steps, you need submit a UK address (some use the US Consulate :) ).

Installation of the map requires tomtom home version 2.+ software and patience, mucho patience, getting the map to download. TomTom servers are s-l-o-w.

Try to purchase your maps using the 'Home' program. I have a One and it's possible for me to purchase the Western Europe map this way. (Uncheck the box 'Show only recommended items.')

Just curious.
I have the full West/Central Europe map set on my 2GB SD card. It works well.

It is NOT necessary to log onto a different wite to get maps. In fact, logging onto the TomTom site is usually NOT the most effective way to download new maps. TomTom Home seems to do a better job, especially here in the U.S. where our "Map Store" at the TomTom web site has been down for eons.

As for how this is done ... when you fire up TomTom Home, and suggest you'd like to download maps with the "Add Maps" feature, there is a checkbox in the lower left corner of the older version (2.1) that says something about showing you only "recommended" items, and in the newer version (2.2), there is a pulldown box at the top that says "View - Recommended Items".

Bugger their "recommendations" and uncheck the box on 2.1 or select "View - ALL" on 2.2. Having done that, you'll find all of the maps become visible for purchase.

Excellent feedback. Thanks very much, folks.

I'll follow up on purchasing the maps locally here in the States rather than have them being sent to my mother-in-law's address. (She'd probably stare at the package and then promptly bin it :-(.)

-- Darrell

Excellent feedback. Thanks very much, folks.

I'll follow up on purchasing the maps locally here in the States rather than have them being sent to my mother-in-law's address. (She'd probably stare at the package and then promptly bin it :-(.)

-- Darrell

Unlike in Europe, maps purchased in NA are only able to be installed via the TTHome software; there are no retail or online outlets to purchase maps on a sd disc.

I recently bought a new GO720 - and absolutely love it. (And why would people buy a 920, exactly?)
For $100 you also have the European maps, EPT, bluetooth remote control.
I do enjoy EPT. I notice a difference everyday when I travel through areas where reception is lost.

The only problem you'll run into (I just did) is that if you try to install 920 POIs on your 720, you won't be able to put additional maps on the 4GB SD card. The reason being is that 920 POI file size is much larger than 720.

I have Western & Central Europe map (~1.89GB) and I tried to have both NA and EU maps on my 4GB SD card and there isn't enough room. Installing EU maps on internal memory isn't an option either due to limited size of your internal memory.

So if you want to have it "all" I think you would need to use 8GB SD card...

Hope this helps.

The only problem you'll run into (I just did) is that if you try to install 920 POIs on your 720, you won't be able to put additional maps on the 4GB SD card. The reason being is that 920 POI file size is much larger than 720.

I have Western & Central Europe map (~1.89GB) and I tried to have both NA and EU maps on my 4GB SD card and there isn't enough room. Installing EU maps on internal memory isn't an option either due to limited size of your internal memory.

Hope this helps.

Guys,

I have a 2 GB SD card installed and I am also trying to insert a previously downloaded Western Europe map set, can anyone share a light on how to do it?

I tried both sets 7.05 and also 7.20 (from a friend just to make sure my maps didn't have a problem with them) and still couldn't get it going...

I am in desperate need of instructions on how to do it...

Thanks in advance,

Flavio Zanetti
Boston, MA

Hope this helps.

You just can't copy a set of maps from one device and make it work on another. The maps are tied to the device which makes it not recognizable to the other. The only method is to purchase maps from HOME.

If u need help using a SD card, follow the instructions here
http://tomtomforums.com/showpost.php?p=50656&postcount=7

Pedro,

Thanks for your reply, however I purchased 7.05-1480 a while back, however I was never able to install it...

I spent 2 hours once when TT customer service and still unable to get it going...

Don't really know what to do...

Any help please?!?!?!?!?!?!

Flavio Zanetti
Boston, MA

Strange, I assume you recieved these maps from HOME.
If so, are you getting this error?

NA715error.jpg

Ask a Question