How to update to 8.010 for TT920

TomTom Model(s)
TOMTOM GO 920
i used TT home 2, but there is no application found for upgrade. How do you guy upgrade to 8.010. i'm so hate 7.481, which i lost VR and full of bugs.

But without version 8 maps which are not legally available for x20 units at this time, what do you gain by having N8 firmware instead of N7? (except for a screwed up compass?)

But without version 8 maps which are not legally available for x20 units at this time, what do you gain by having N8 firmware instead of N7? (except for a screwed up compass?)

Features and fixes:
* VR works with version 720 maps
* All the traffic enhancements included in the 7.481 firmware without the new bugs.
* Fixes 7.481's bugs in POI and street lists
* Re-rendered menu icons!!! (last resort if you're not thrilled with the above)

New bugs:
* Operate My Go erases .inf's with custom categories
* Compass always points north, no way to change behavior.

Preserved bugs:
* "Can't find voice" after using Operate My Go

Overall, a good update. I'm not expecting the lane guidance or Route IQ to be available for x20's anyway. TomTom would say I haven't paid for the feature if I didn't buy an x30. (but I would have if they'd been available when I was looking at the 920)

The traffic fixes are huge. I get better rerouting via GPRS. I hear that TMC is better now too, but I haven't tried that yet. And the long startup delay has been shortened to a better timing.

Maybe its just me, but I like how the newest v8 utilizes the power saving function while plugged in. (the battery life on my 720 is horrific)

The graphics appear much more crisp in appearance and the voices are more clear. There is no longer a stuttering like voice. TomTom now pronounces more numbered street more accurately. (no more 3 that sounds like 4, or a 4 that sounds like 5)

You have expanded Map Correction features.

Most importantly, at then end of the day I get to feel special.

There is some suspicion that Navcore 8.010 is being offered again via Home to non x30 users as of this morning. However, users in a Brit forum seeing this offering are also getting your not unexpected server error when trying to download it.

There is some suspicion that Navcore 8.010 is being offered again via Home to non x30 users as of this morning. However, users in a Brit forum seeing this offering are also getting your not unexpected server error when trying to download it.

I am updating as I speek to my tt 920 in Canada.

I to was getting not unexpected server error when trying to download it.

I had to try several times but I did get it twice once for my sd card & once for my internal memory this AM 06/19/08

Last edited:
I am updating as I speek to my tt 920 in Canada.

I to was getting not unexpected server error when trying to download it.

I had to try several times but I did get it twice once for my sd card & once for my internal memory this AM 06/19/08

Curious as to why you would dl it to both memory locations, card and flash memory? You only need once instance of the firmware.

I tried the 2 step process, 7221 to 7.481, then was offered the 8.010. Download and installation went without a hitch. Hopefully it works OK now that I have it installed.
Andy

Curious as to why you would dl it to both memory locations, card and flash memory? You only need once instance of the firmware.

DHN the reason I do it on both is because awhile back TT support walked me through a setup that has oop files and C&W Europe only on my 4GB SD Card & NA map only and opp files on internal memory leaving me with about 1 1/2 GB free on both. If and when I switch maps or do updates it offers different fixes on both Sd card & Internal memory.

DHN the reason I do it on both is because awhile back TT support walked me through a setup that has oop files and C&W Europe only on my 4GB SD Card & NA map only and opp files on internal memory leaving me with about 1 1/2 GB free on both. If and when I switch maps or do updates it offers different fixes on both Sd card & Internal memory.

But it will offer the different fixes regardless of where the operating system is located. As you mentioned yourself in a different thread .... assume the operating system is in Internal Flash memory and map A in in internal while map B is on SD card ... connect the unit to the computer and start it up, it'll ask whether to use internal or sd card, pick internal.

Start TTHome.....you can confirm the software is pointing to internal by the Device menu option. Now then, select updates and you'll get updates for map A (the one on internal). When done, use the device menu option to switch devices to sd card. Select Update again and, this time, you'll get updates for map B on the sd card. All with ONE set of operating system files on internal and none on the sd card.

I mean, that was the prime feature of the whole x20 line .... having one operating system but being able to access memory stuff in two locations.

You are just wasting storage space having two sets of operating system files.

But it will offer the different fixes regardless of where the operating system is located. As you mentioned yourself in a different thread .... assume the operating system is in Internal Flash memory and map A in in internal while map B is on SD card ... connect the unit to the computer and start it up, it'll ask whether to use internal or sd card, pick internal.

Start TTHome.....you can confirm the software is pointing to internal by the Device menu option. Now then, select updates and you'll get updates for map A (the one on internal). When done, use the device menu option to switch devices to sd card. Select Update again and, this time, you'll get updates for map B on the sd card. All with ONE set of operating system files on internal and none on the sd card.

I mean, that was the prime feature of the whole x20 line .... having one operating system but being able to access memory stuff in two locations.

You are just wasting storage space having two sets of operating system files.

So are you suggesting I remove the operating system off my SD card ?

So are you suggesting I remove the operating system off my SD card ?

Yep.

To protect my you know what, backup your entire sd card first. Then remove the operating system so that just the map is there. Understand this: TomTom will, by default, select the map where it finds the operating system. So, on bootup, it'll select the map on internal since the o/s is there. But, chances are, on bootup, it'll ask you which you want to select, internal or sd card.

I'm really quite sure you won't have problems with 1 operating system.

That kind of link is inappropriate since it provides pirated materials. Not appropriate or appreciated on boards such as this.

Yep.

To protect my you know what, backup your entire sd card first. Then remove the operating system so that just the map is there. Understand this: TomTom will, by default, select the map where it finds the operating system. So, on bootup, it'll select the map on internal since the o/s is there. But, chances are, on bootup, it'll ask you which you want to select, internal or sd card.

I'm really quite sure you won't have problems with 1 operating system.
Thanks DHN
I copied the entire SD card to a new folder to cover my *** , formated the SD c ard in Fat32 and started up TT home selected memory card went to items on my computer and downloaded Europe 7.20 and voices to memory card leaving me with just under 2 GB free space on 4GB card. I then went to operate my go and chose manage maps switchhed mays to WC Europe and voila there it was .

Thanks Again

Thanks DHN
I copied the entire SD card to a new folder to cover my *** , formated the SD c ard in Fat32 and started up TT home selected memory card went to items on my computer and downloaded Europe 7.20 and voices to memory card leaving me with just under 2 GB free space on 4GB card. I then went to operate my go and chose manage maps switchhed mays to WC Europe and voila there it was .

Thanks Again

You are welcome! :)

Ask a Question