HOW TO FIX FUEL PRICES - NOT DOWNLOADING - UPDATED Nov 2010

I too was having this issue. Long story short, when updating fuel prices, it couldn't delete a specific file to update it, so I deleted it. BIG PROBLEMS. It would not longer list fuel prices, told me I needed to subscribe to a service I'm already subscribed to, and would not update. After dozens of soft and hard resets, deleting folders/files, and numerous phone calls, we came to a solution:

THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION:
Connect your TomTom to your computer (Say Yes when the GPS asks to connect).

1. In TomTom HOME, Go to Manage my GO and remove all references to fuel from both the DEVICE and COMPUTER.

2. Go to My Computer (In my case, Windows 7 lists it as Computer).

3. Go to the Drive "INTERNAL". This is the hard drive on the GPS.

4. In the INTERNAL Drive, do a search for ALL files, using the search term "fuel". In my case with Win7, just type "fuel" in the search bar, upper right. If it helps, you should enable viewing hidden files in the folder options.

5. DELETE ALL FILES/FOLDERS THAT HAVE "FUEL" IN THE NAME from within the "INTERNAL" drive.

6. Go to your Documents folder and open the TomTom Folder.

7. Do the same search as above for any file with "fuel" in the name.

8. DELETE ALL FILES/FOLDERS THAT HAVE "FUEL" IN THE NAME from within your TomTom folder.

9. Now Close TomTom Home, right-click on the TomTom icon next to the clock and exit, and just for giggles open Task Manager and click on processes and make sure you close any "TomTom" processes.

10. Now open TomTom Home again. It should update and show multiple files. I had 2 files. Both were called fuel prices. One had a file size of 5.2 MB while the other one (I assume an update) did not list a size. I unchecked the no-size file and downloaded the 5.2 MB file. It installed fine. Then I went back and hit Update again, and downloaded the no-size files (I assume the update). It installed fine this time.

11. On the bottom-right hand corner of TomTom Home, click the icon to disconnect your TomTom. Doing it this way instead of just unplugging it seems to ensure the files are completely transferred.

12. Now when your TomTom GPS loads, you should have your fuel prices back and working.

I hope this helps. While I am quite familiar with computers, I am new to TomTom. I know there are many TomTom gurus on here, and I respect their knowledge about TomToms. I simply list some of the more obvious steps in case a newbie (like myself) searches for this solution. This took me 4 frustrating, hair pulling days to fix, and the customer support rep and I both learned at the same time what to do to fix this issue, as they hadn't heard of it in the US. Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback.

When users report they no longer are getting gpsquickfix files offered, the approach is basically the same; namely; clean out the relevant folder on the unit and, as well, on the computer. That often 'cures' the problem and updated gps files 'flow' again.

Your resolution for fuel prices seems to have done the same thing for them.

Thank you so very much, this problem was really beginning to annoy me - I even found an answer in the tomtom support that said fuel prices were no longer part of live services, yet your answer has restored them - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I wonder if this method would work for the traffic cameras that have never worked on my device.

Anyone know what files I'd have to delete?

I would only add that if your device includes a uSD card (e.g., GO740 or XXL540), it is possible that you will find fuel price files on both that card and in internal memory, and these files need to be removed from the uSD card as well! In fact, it may be the mistaken inclusion of those files (by Home, of course) on both mounts that is causing the inability to download fuel prices.

I wonder if this method would work for the traffic cameras that have never worked on my device.

Anyone know what files I'd have to delete?
Have you ever had a traffic cam subscription for your ONEXL?

I would only add that if your device includes a uSD card (e.g., GO740 or XXL540), it is possible that you will find fuel price files on both that card and in internal memory, and these files need to be removed from the uSD card as well! In fact, it may be the mistaken inclusion of those files (by Home, of course) on both mounts that is causing the inability to download fuel prices.
Are you sure that the XXL540 has a uSD card?

If mine does, I have seen no indication of it, and it must somehow be hidden from view.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

My bad. We don't get the GO540 here, so my brain was thinking UK GO540 and my fingers were typing the U.S. XXL540. Anyway - the point is to beware of where Home may have stuck fuel data. I've had it show up on both internal and uSD on my 740, and that prevented me from downloading any fresh data when I forgot to look on the uSD.

Ask a Question