How to free up memory?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 2535
I'm trying to load the recent released NA map. But it turns out my GO 2535 doesnt have enough memory left.
It's a bit strange as the used total is 3467.93MB, free 250.07MB. The new map size is 3412.1MB.
It should fit, but the only two items listed I can free up, which are current NA map and speed camera US, total size is only 3043.3MB.
Where did the memory go? There are 400MB difference from total used 3467.93 and two items add up.
I remembered there was some voice loaded, but not sure if that was 400MB and I can't find where I can delete any voice installed.

Anyone has any idea or know any tool to free up the memory so new update NA map can be installed?

Well, you can connect to the computer, open MyDrive and, in the desktop icon, click on Manage Community Content.

The page that opens will show any custom pois, voices, images, etc. you've added to the device and you have the ability to remove them.

All that said, I don't think you'll find sufficient stuff to even come close to the size you need freed up. The expanded 930 map has caused grief for many ... especially those with devices that do not have expansion slots such as yours.

You may be stuck just installing map zones from now on. But do check Manage Content and see if you can find stuff to remove first.

Well, you can connect to the computer, open MyDrive and, in the desktop icon, click on Manage Community Content.

The page that opens will show any custom pois, voices, images, etc. you've added to the device and you have the ability to remove them.

All that said, I don't think you'll find sufficient stuff to even come close to the size you need freed up. The expanded 930 map has caused grief for many ... especially those with devices that do not have expansion slots such as yours.

You may be stuck just installing map zones from now on. But do check Manage Content and see if you can find stuff to remove first.
Thank you for your reply. I could only find 1KB favories and 48KB car symbol icon. No voice found there. I remembered I downloaded some free voice from Tomtom web site last year. As you said, I can't find enough space still. Not sure where the 400MB wasted. There is no tool I can re-flash it from scratch to free up the space. I guess that was probably why this model was on sale since it has limited 4GB internal memory and no SD slot, other than that I love its voice commands.

BTW, I always get GPS fix update every time when I connect it to the PC, even after each time I select it and it says updated successful. Not sure why this 60KB GPS fix always stay on the update list.

Are you saying that you get the fix data every time you connect, even if it's within minutes of a previous connection? If so, you are correct - the server shouldn't offer it constantly, though it's not unusual to see a new one each day. Feel free to ignore it most of the time, but be sure to accept one every 6 days or so.

If you like, we could delve a bit further into what it is that is being offered and received, if it's too much of a nuisance.

Is it the same step for GO 600? I tried to go to My Drive, but i don't see the Manage Community Content.
The Map is 5584MB and Safety Camera is 360KB but the total space used on my device is 6346MB, which I try to understand where does the rest of the 800MB goes?

@Zeng
So far, there is no way to do "Manage Community Content" for any of the new GO series, so no way to add or remove anything except 'favorites' which become 'MyPlaces' using their Transfer Assistant which assumes the favorites are on another TomTom.

We keep hoping that someday they'll add features like this to this new series of units, but so far ..... nada.

The new map 930 grew too large to fit on the internal memory of all GOxxx5 and VIAxxx5 devices. These devices have the USA/Can/mex map that won't fit, so you will need to install a map zone to make it fit. The device has system files of about a gig or so, so all the "used space" isn't available for maps.

Most 1xx5 devices have an SD slot, and you can fit the full map there instead.

The new map 930 grew too large to fit on the internal memory of all GOxxx5 and VIAxxx5 devices. These devices have the USA/Can/mex map that won't fit, so you will need to install a map zone to make it fit. The device has system files of about a gig or so, so all the "used space" isn't available for maps.

Most 1xx5 devices have an SD slot, and you can fit the full map there instead.

There must be a way! I travel weekly through usa and canada I cant be connecting every few days to re install the map zone Im in! thats ridiculous! I might be in Vancouver one day and then in florida the next.
There is 468.00 MB left when I try and install the new map but like the other guy no way to remove that part of the memory. Mine also asked every day to install the same mapshare content.
CMON Tom Tom get with the program!

@ron
Aren't your map zones 'vertical' in flavor? When I look at the North America map zones for one of my units, they cover both Canada and USA in several 'vertical' slices. If you don't spend any time in the middle portion, you should be able to pick up both the westernmost (for Vancouver) and easternmost (for Florida) together.

Yeah - it's a pain. They've been having this kind of issue in Europe for quite some time now (for many years, Europe has been available in 'pieces' for small memory model units).

@ron
Aren't your map zones 'vertical' in flavor? When I look at the North America map zones for one of my units, they cover both Canada and USA in several 'vertical' slices. If you don't spend any time in the middle portion, you should be able to pick up both the westernmost (for Vancouver) and easternmost (for Florida) together.

Yeah - it's a pain. They've been having this kind of issue in Europe for quite some time now (for many years, Europe has been available in 'pieces' for small memory model units).

Yes I studied the zones and none of them really would work all the time, If I could remove parts of northern canada and mexico because I dont travel there it would probably fit. If you only stayed in one gereal location then its not a big deal really.

I am mostly using it n the states but I live in canada and use it to find addresses in Vancouver localy. So i just installed the usa only option for now. I bounce from coast to the midwest to east coast sveral times a month. Now if I have a trip to Toronto or edmonton I will have to swap the maps.
Its just frustrating that for three years now Ive had no such problems and now all of a sudden they are changing my options. This is no cheap gps! I have a subscription to the google I have paid for as well as it has the live traffic etc. its was OVER 400 when I got it so.. if it was a 99 dollar special I wouldnt even bother complaining.

It is indeed unfortunate that (for whatever reason) they neglected to include a uSD port on the 2535. As you say, this wasn't one of the el cheapo models. Frankly, we were all a bit surprised to see that item left out.

Ask a Question