TOMTOM ONE 3rd Ed. How to free memory?

I just purcahsed a TOMTOM ONE 3rd Ed. and it had as its default map Guam! I then decided to go to "latest map" on the company website and USA/Canada map showed up as being available to install, but that I had to dump about 800MB to install it. I dumped the map of Guam, and some non-English voices, but I still need to dump 795MB. I'm a "newbie" so I have no idea what I can and can't dump. When I go to remove items, I only show about 15 MB of items that are able to be dumped which is a far cry from the 800MB needed in order to install the map I need. I purchased it at Walmart and the package was unopened.
Any help would be appreciated.

I just purcahsed a TOMTOM ONE 3rd Ed. and it had as its default map Guam! I then decided to go to "latest map" on the company website and USA/Canada map showed up as being available to install, but that I had to dump about 800MB to install it. I dumped the map of Guam, and some non-English voices, but I still need to dump 795MB. I'm a "newbie" so I have no idea what I can and can't dump. When I go to remove items, I only show about 15 MB of items that are able to be dumped which is a far cry from the 800MB needed in order to install the map I need. I purchased it at Walmart and the package was unopened.

Does your model allow for a sd card? If so, I strongly suggest you get one for it. 2 gigs, anyway.

Are you sure you do not have a USA&Canada map in internal memory that can be removed?

That's odd. When I first purchased my ONE LE (your 3rd Edition should behave the same) I was able to get an updated map. TT HOME let me simply overwrite the USA_and_Canada map......it didn't force me to delete it.

If it is forcing you to delete it, then I would recommend creating a folder on your PC (perhaps call it TomTom_Backup) and copy everything on your TomTom into this /TomTom_Backup folder. That way, you have the original data if you need it.

Once you are sure you have a clean backup, go ahead and delete the /USA_and_Canada folder from your TomTom and then install the one that HOME is allow you to download.

I think you already have both maps. Don't erase anything. Go to Preference and select Manage Maps then select Switch Map. If you can't find that function make sure you have Show All Menu Options selected.

You cannot have two maps of North America on your TomTom at the same time; each takes up 800+ MB. If you are installing a completely new map, you must delete the old first. Warning: If you choose to delete your old map from your TomTom in order to clear space, be sure to backup everything first.

Better advise is to use the upgrade feature first to see if this fixes your problem.

You cannot have two maps of North America on your TomTom at the same time; each takes up 800+ MB. If you are installing a completely new map, you must delete the old first. Warning: If you choose to delete your old map from your TomTom in order to clear space, be sure to backup everything first.

Better advise is to use the upgrade feature first to see if this fixes your problem.

I could have sworn I've heard this some place before....

Has anyone tried cracking open one of these (I know it would void the warranty) to see if it's just an SD card inside that could be replaced?

Has anyone tried cracking open one of these (I know it would void the warranty) to see if it's just an SD card inside that could be replaced?

I've seen pictures of someone who changed the internal memory with a microSD card but it was not a plug and play operation and involved precise soldering on quite a few wires. Not something I would attempt...

Hm I'd suggest formatting it and simply installing the application and maps all over again. I had a big red X on mine because I messed something up and I did the format and clean install. Took awhile but it worked.

TT One 3rd Edition internal memory

Hey, I'd be interested in seeing these pictures... can you provide any links?
I would rather see and evaluate before I crack mine open... But its definitely worth it to me to mod it if it works....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomSchtick

I've seen pictures of someone who changed the internal memory with a microSD card but it was not a plug and play operation and involved precise soldering on quite a few wires. Not something I would attempt...

Hey, I'd be interested in seeing these pictures... can you provide any links?
I would rather see and evaluate before I crack mine open... But its definitely worth it to me to mod it if it works....

I don't remember where I downloaded from but they were on my hd and uploaded them to FileFactory in a rar file available here:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/558758

I did not take those pictures nor have detailed instructions but the images speak by themselves. The rar file is 5,028,863 in size.

Last edited:

Ask a Question