tomtom one 3rd ed - no signal in Canada

I have always used my tomtom in florida. Recently, I went to Toronto Canada to visit. During my visit, i turn on the tomtom and waited for a signal, but it never got a signal.

Is there configuration that I need to do to get tomtom to work in Canada?

Thanks.

No. But the first time in a location different from where you normally are, it may take 10-15 minutes to grab a signal. The unit should be stationary in an open area.

I have always used my tomtom in florida. Recently, I went to Toronto Canada to visit. During my visit, i turn on the tomtom and waited for a signal, but it never got a signal.

Is there configuration that I need to do to get tomtom to work in Canada?
I assume that you are asking about the satellite signal to provide your location. If that is the case, then dhn has already answered your question.

However, if you have a LIVE model and are asking about the signal for LIVE Services, the issue is that the LIVE Services are received through a specialized cell phone inside your TomTom. The cell phone signal is provided by AT&T in the United States, but is supplied by Rogers in Canada. Unfortunately, that means that US models cannot receive LIVE Services in Canada, and vice versa.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

It's a ONE 3rd Edition Tom, so no LIVE services.

Some clarification for the OP.

You fooled your unit by waking it up a long, long way from home.

A brand new GPS unit has no idea what satellites might be in view in the sky, much less exactly where they are. So a new unit needs to collect that information from one of the satellites. Each satellite sends this information once about every 12-1/2 minutes. It's called the 'almanac' data.

If your unit has been turned off for a while, what it used to know about which satellites are available and their location is all no longer relevant to your new location, so it must regather that information afresh ... and it takes a while for that almanac data to be received by your unit so that it can go about the business of sorting out what all of the satellite signals that it is receiving mean in the grand scheme of things.

When you moved, your unit looked up into the sky and said to itself "Who are THESE guys, and what they heck are THEY doing there? Start over..."

Ask a Question