Possible to Free more memory on tomtom?

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1535TM
I got the Go 730 and it says i have 15.2meg free. I would like for the unit to be a bit more snappy when inputting addresses and stuff.

I got the Go 730 and it says i have 15.2meg free. I would like for the unit to be a bit more snappy when inputting addresses and stuff.
Wouldn't we all?:eek: But making more RAM available isn't going to improve touch screen performance. You've still got plenty of headroom at 15.2MB. What would be nice would be about 50% more processor/bus performance. Who knows ... perhaps some of the other lags that occur could be improved at the same time.

get more space

First your unit probably has multiple Voices. For me I deleted all the voices except the one computer voice that I think is the best "DAVE" You need one great computer voice to announce the street names
Secondly delete most of the car icons
YOu can also delete some the different colors for the maps.
You can do all kinds of tweeds from tom tom home. See exactly what is in your unit and remove all those non necessities

Before you do anything however.. Make sure you backup your unit to the tom tom backup area and also use the back up button that says to backup to the computer also. Doing this your computer will always have any items you removed from your unit

I think using Explorer to back up TomTom is better than using the TT Home back up function right? I read somewhere that TT Home doesn't back up some key files correctly.

It's been known to happen that Home's backup/restore function has: missed files, corrupted files, renamed files to all upper case, that kind of stuff.......

Using Explorer with hidden files/folders showing is safer, yep.

Seems we have a disconnect here of some sort.

Freeing up space in the *nonvolatile* (flash) area isn't going to change performance no matter what. I wonder now if the OP was asking about that? I took the original post to ask how to free up more RAM, but the subsequent suggestions seem to be focused on freeing up flash.

That's what I think he really wanted. But in either case, not much can be done. It is what it is.

showing hidden files

It's been known to happen that Home's backup/restore function has: missed files, corrupted files, renamed files to all upper case, that kind of stuff.......

Using Explorer with hidden files/folders showing is safer, yep.

Hey dhn- how can I tell if my hidden files will be copied. I have Vista now and when I click on "view" with my TT files sowing there is is no apparent option for "show hidden files" as there was on my Window XP??

Hey dhn- how can I tell if my hidden files will be copied. I have Vista now and when I click on "view" with my TT files sowing there is is no apparent option for "show hidden files" as there was on my Window XP??
Follow these steps to display hidden files and folders.
<table class="numberedList" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="dropCapQ" style="vertical-align: top;" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">
</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr><tr id="eCEF" class="" valign="top"><td class="dropCapQ" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">
</td><td><table name="tiba" class="tiba"><tbody><tr style="border: 1px inset rgb(255, 0, 0); padding: 0px 0px 7px;"><td class="pageNumber">1. </td><td class="pageNumberListContent" style="vertical-align: top;" width="100%">Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button
GetOpenContent.aspx
, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
</td></tr><tr style="border: 1px inset rgb(255, 0, 0); padding: 0px 0px 7px;"><td class="pageNumber">2. </td><td class="pageNumberListContent" style="vertical-align: top;" width="100%">Click the View tab.
</td></tr><tr style="border: 1px inset rgb(255, 0, 0); padding: 0px 0px 7px;"><td class="pageNumber">3. </td><td class="pageNumberListContent" style="vertical-align: top;" width="100%">Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Freeing up space in the *nonvolatile* (flash) area isn't going to change performance no matter what.

I think you are 100% correct.

This issue's been discussed on various "flash based" products, and the
talks always the same....... NO NEED

- to have more RAM available to increase performance = NO NEED

- to defrag to increase performance = NO NEED

Ask a Question