2 Part ? Is traffic alert worth $ and Free up memory?

I've had my Go 720 for about 2 years and just now did a map upgrade. WOW, what a difference! Not get off my question, but it looks alot like IQ routs, but I was told my unit doesn't have that. Oh, well. Looks cool and works great!

Traffic alert. Is it woth the money. Does it warn early enough to get you around the accident, construction or other slow down?

I was having trouble with my night color mode not working, so I called TT help. They had me remove and reinstall my OS on the unit. It fixed the problem, but I noticed that I am maxed out for memory.
What are some unnecessary items I can remove without buying a memory card?

Thanks.

Personally, I WOULD get a reliable 4-gig sdhc card (they are quite reasonably priced now. Get at least a class 4) and move your map folder onto it. [That's how I operate my 720]

Allows for greater flexibility and no worries regarding space problems.

I've had my Go 720 for about 2 years and just now did a map upgrade. WOW, what a difference! Not get off my question, but it looks alot like IQ routs, but I was told my unit doesn't have that. Oh, well. Looks cool and works great!

Traffic alert. Is it woth the money. Does it warn early enough to get you around the accident, construction or other slow down?

I was having trouble with my night color mode not working, so I called TT help. They had me remove and reinstall my OS on the unit. It fixed the problem, but I noticed that I am maxed out for memory.

Thanks.

make sure you have the latest map and application for your 720 8.351 for the application and 840 for the map.You should have plenty of memeory but you might want more space for adding things like POI's in tom tom home. Remove all voices that aren't a computer voice. ONly one is needed. I use Dave.
I use tomtoms traffic for about $60 per year I think that it is a necessity. The traffic received on your unit will be about 5-10 minuit old. If you had a LIVE unit like the 740 its more or less instantaneous. but 10minuits in stalled traffic isn't bad. Don't get the radio transmitted traffic . tomtoms own traffic is much better.. As far as your night color I have my unit set on yellow and red map for the night time using a blue car. I find it works really well. Anyway hope this helps and good luck

Personally, I WOULD get a reliable 4-gig sdhc card (they are quite reasonably priced now. Get at least a class 4) and move your map folder onto it. [That's how I operate my 720]

Allows for greater flexibility and no worries regarding space problems.

I'll get a card tomorrow. thanx.

make sure you have the latest map and application for your 720 8.351 for the application and 840 for the map.You should have plenty of memeory but you might want more space for adding things like POI's in tom tom home. Remove all voices that aren't a computer voice. ONly one is needed. I use Dave.
I use tomtoms traffic for about $60 per year I think that it is a necessity. The traffic received on your unit will be about 5-10 minuit old. If you had a LIVE unit like the 740 its more or less instantaneous. but 10minuits in stalled traffic isn't bad. Don't get the radio transmitted traffic . tomtoms own traffic is much better.. As far as your night color I have my unit set on yellow and red map for the night time using a blue car. I find it works really well. Anyway hope this helps and good luck

Not sure of the application, but it was just installed this week. Also, the map was bought this week, so I would hope it's the latest, but I'll check. It's out in the car and it's cold out, so tomorrow.
I looked at the traffic alert program just now and the only one I saw was the one with the seperat antenna. Is that the "radio transmitted" one you're talking about? Can't afford the 740 right now.

I'll get a card tomorrow. thanx.

Not sure of the application, but it was just installed this week. Also, the map was bought this week, so I would hope it's the latest, but I'll check. It's out in the car and it's cold out, so tomorrow.
I looked at the traffic alert program just now and the only one I saw was the one with the seperat antenna. Is that the "radio transmitted" one you're talking about? Can't afford the 740 right now.

Yes iit is. The tomtom traffic one doesn't need the extra antenna but it needs a compatable cell phone for this traffic transmision and it is much better.

You can fit the map by removing all computer voices except for the one you use (under Manage my GO) in HOME.

Map 840 adds lane guidance, IQroutes, and reality view to a 720. It doesn't have these features out-of-the-box. The map pretty much turns a 720 into a 730.

There are two options for traffic:
1) The plug-in antenna. The antenna is more stable with the software, and can be found real cheap on ebay. The quality of traffic info is helpful, but isn't as good as the #2 below.
2) Pairing your 720 via bluetooth to a phone with a data plan. This costs $60/year, and is better and more timely than the antenna. The coverage is similar to the antenna, major highways only. (The 740 also include sideroads in its coverage.) There are lots of things that could cause hiccups with bluetooth traffic - less stable bluetooth code on the 720, possibly incompatible cell phones, or Tomtom server outages.

If I had my pick I'd still go with #2 traffic above, better quality traffic, and it's neater as it's less wires in the car.

Ask a Question