TomTom Selects INRIX as Strategic Partner for Traffic and Fuel Prices in North Americ

Too soon to tell. Inrix does have more available coverage and flow data, but who knows how TT and Inrix are going to use it.

It's a little odd that no announcement from TomTom has been made, just Inrix.

gator's the GPS business geek here so he'll chime in if I'm wrong on any of this.

Inrix is one of the leading traffic providers in the US. It sources its traffic from a number of places: clearchannel (the source of most TMC traffic), along with government highway sensors, and commercial logistics/shipping companies.

I think (gator help here?) Inrix powers MSN traffic, used in Garmin, and powers PLUS traffic, used in Tomtom.

Tomtom recently partnered with Trafficcast, a competing vendor, for its 740 LIVE traffic device. Trafficcast boasted more miles of traffic flow coverage, and 740 LIVE definitely had more sidestreet coverage, although in smaller cities like Gator's neighborhood it appeared to have less reliable data.

A few months ago Inrix announced a similar expansion into major sidestreets, although that expansion never made it into Tomtom PLUS traffic (yet).

The key story in the news release is that Tomtom is now using Inrix for LIVE traffic also, hopefully including its sidestreet expansion. This seems like an about-face for Tomtom, who shunned Inrix earlier. Most people assume that it is a replacement of Trafficcast, although nothing is precluding Tomtom from actually using both sources for the LIVE devices.

gator's the GPS business geek here so he'll chime in if I'm wrong on any of this.

Inrix is one of the leading traffic providers in the US. It sources its traffic from a number of places: clearchannel (the source of most TMC traffic), along with government highway sensors, and commercial logistics/shipping companies.

I think (gator help here?) Inrix powers MSN traffic, used in Garmin, and powers PLUS traffic, used in Tomtom.

Tomtom recently partnered with Trafficcast, a competing vendor, for its 740 LIVE traffic device. Trafficcast boasted more miles of traffic flow coverage, and 740 LIVE definitely had more sidestreet coverage, although in smaller cities like Gator's neighborhood it appeared to have less reliable data.

A few months ago Inrix announced a similar expansion into major sidestreets, although that expansion never made it into Tomtom PLUS traffic (yet).

The key story in the news release is that Tomtom is now using Inrix for LIVE traffic also, hopefully including its sidestreet expansion. This seems like an about-face for Tomtom, who shunned Inrix earlier. Most people assume that it is a replacement of Trafficcast, although nothing is precluding Tomtom from actually using both sources for the LIVE devices.

Thanks for the info. DMS

dely

Plus services used to have a 15 minuit delay behind live services. On a previous post someone said that its now only about 3 minuiits behind; Has anyone knoticed this.

That was my post. So far no one has has posted anything supporting or contradicting it.

Anyone else have any comments?

Ask a Question