How to customize menus

Actually, I don't think it's the act of creating the sdkregistry directory, but the act of creating a tomtom.mnu file there with new commands which builds a new set of menu screens. Since we don't yet know the commands for the Help Me and Map Share features, they can't be included in tomtom.mnu, and they get lost.

Installing Suntime doesn't do this, it just automatically gets inserted onto its own new menu page. I experienced the same thing after installing Offroad Navigator -- the stock menus stay put, with a new page 3 for the new app.

Hope that helps -- I'm a newbie here, but I think I got that straight! :)

I think you nailed it.

But I was correcting the previous poster who said that creating the sdkregistry replaced the entire menu system. I was also looking to explore/discuss a third possibility...

Instead of creating a tomtom.mnu which replaces the whole system, why not figure out how to create a third menu page much like Suntime does? If we know all the commands (except for Help Me and Map Share), why can't it be done like that? You know, leave the stock menu pages and add your new hidden features to additional pages. :confused:

Instead of creating a tomtom.mnu which replaces the whole system, why not figure out how to create a third menu page much like Suntime does?

This is how 3rd party applications do it. But not sure if this technique will do what you want, since it's intended for use with your own programs and not the ones in firmware.

Capability Files

The SDK allows for the main menu to be extended with user-defined icons and descriptions that can send commands to an external application. This is achieved with capability files, which describe the application and additional commands.

The capability file is a text file with extension CAP that must be put in the following directory from the root of the SD card (first time SDK-users will probably have to create this directory):

SdkRegistry/
Please note that the full path to this directory is /mnt/sdcard/SdkRegistry/

The registry directory basically contains all the information about an application that the navigation application needs in order to communicate with it. Every external command can have an associated icon and description to be displayed in the menu.

More detailed info available here: http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/PRO/TomTomGO-SDK6_Documentation.zip

Last edited:
Has anyone found that the commands are for "Help Me" or "Map Corrections"?

Is there an easy way of switching tomtom.mnu off/on (i.e. renaming it on the fly) without having to connect to the computer.

Is there an easy way of switching tomtom.mnu off/on (i.e. renaming it on the fly) without having to connect to the computer.

Even if you did, I believe you'd have to reboot the device to see the changes.

Both of these commands can be included in the "quick menu" using the preferences. Or at least they can on the 920 and 720. Does your GPS have that function? It shows up as a separate button on the map screen.

Both of these commands can be included in the "quick menu" using the preferences. Or at least they can on the 920 and 720. Does your GPS have that function? It shows up as a separate button on the map screen.

No quick-menu function on the TT ONE 3rd Ed.

I have version 7.161 on my Go 300. When I create a folder with the name sdkregistry the Help Me icon disappears. Why is that happenning? Something that I am missing?

TTF

I had read the complete post before I posted the question and read it again. I suppose the problem is with "Lite" Navcore 7 version used on TT1 and Go 300.
Just having a folder named sdkregistry makes the 'Help me' icon disappear.

TTF

I had read the complete post before I posted the question and read it again. I suppose the problem is with "Lite" Navcore 7 version used on TT1 and Go 300.
Just having a folder named sdkregistry makes the 'Help me' icon disappear.

TTF

That seems to confirm that this behavior is unique to the model.

all I want to know is if we can add the change car symbol to the navcore lite users?

My tomtom has the file structure for it... so I know its something that just needs to be enabled?

I think he means his menu's don't have a selection which lets you change the car icon....

Yes, I understood what he said.

What I'm saying is that I didn't think changing the car icon ever, on any TomTom version, involves the menu. I thought it was just a simple hack where you find and replace bitmap files. (IF you have a TT model that supports it)

EDIT: Ok... they do have a menu option. Nice. Another incentive to upgrade my TT in the future.

Last edited:
If you know where to replace the bmp file by all means let me know...
I can't find it anywhere, and would eliminate me caring if it has a menu option or not...

but yes, if I knew how to add this hidden menu item back to my list of options, then I could change it at will...

where are the bmp files for this stored?

Ask a Question