How to customize menus

If you know where to replace the bmp file by all means let me know...
I can't find it anywhere, and would eliminate me caring if it has a menu option or not...

but yes, if I knew how to add this hidden menu item back to my list of options, then I could change it at will...

where are the bmp files for this stored?

You missed this part before you posted ... it's where I admitted my mistake...

EDIT: Ok... they do have a menu option. Nice. Another incentive to upgrade my TT in the future.

If you know where to replace the bmp file by all means let me know...
I can't find it anywhere, and would eliminate me caring if it has a menu option or not...

but yes, if I knew how to add this hidden menu item back to my list of options, then I could change it at will...

where are the bmp files for this stored?

WOW. You seem really obsessed with changing the arrow to a car symbol. You should have got a NUVI...

:D

There has to be more to it than just the addition of the sdkregistry.

When I installed Suntime, it created the sdkregistry directory and place the Suntime menu item and icon inside.

Despite the fact that I have the sdkregistry in Nav 7, I also still have my "Help me!" & "Map corrections" items.

I haven't yet played around with any other custom menus but if the Suntime developer can create a new menu page in Nav 7 without losing the "Help me" perhaps it's also possible to customize the menu without losing the "Help me". At the very least maybe just add additional menu pages with any hidden features.

TT One 3rd Ed - v 7.161

I have exactly the same problem described by Wiley. I have TomTom One LE, v. 7.162, map is North America v710.1575. I installed Suntime, which appears on a new (4th) menu page. Menu structure has changed around - for example, "Help Me" is gone, replaced with TomTom Traffic, and other things may have moved as well. The Guided Tours appears twice on page 3. :confused:

What's the best way to fix this? (I'm new to this). I figure that I can restore from my backup, but unfortunately, I did not backup again after I updated the map (with the 30-day guaranteed latest maps feature). If I restore, I assume I will lose my updated maps. Can I re-download? Or should I backup again, restore from the older copy, and then copy just the maps?

I'd appreciate any help in restoring this back to the way it should be (with the latest maps, of course).

Thanks

I think all that you need to do is plug your TomTom into your computer and delete the sdkregistry directory and all its contents. That will remove the suntime program, but it should restore everything else to the default.

For some reason, the existence of the sdkregistry directory creates this problem on your model GPS. Unfortunately, that directory needs to be there if you create custom menus or install 3rd party software. So evidently you can't have it both ways.

But the good news is that you shouldn't have to re-install anything, just get rid of that directory.

I think all that you need to do is plug your TomTom into your computer and delete the sdkregistry directory and all its contents. That will remove the suntime program, but it should restore everything else to the default.

For some reason, the existence of the sdkregistry directory creates this problem on your model GPS. Unfortunately, that directory needs to be there if you create custom menus or install 3rd party software. So evidently you can't have it both ways.

But the good news is that you shouldn't have to re-install anything, just get rid of that directory.

Great! Thanks for the help. I deleted the sdkregistry and suntime directories, and it's back to normal.

Nobody has found a way to add the Map Share or Help Me options to tomtom.mnu with Navcore 7, right? I just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook this information elsewhere.

Unless the SDK gets updated this probably can't ever be done, right?

I spent awhile experimenting with this, and personally I don't think it's possible. I think they just aren't supporting those new features as custom menu items in Navcore 7, and it isn't as simple a matter as us not knowing the secret word.

I tried the trick mentioned in this article: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/insidetomtomgo910.php

For example you want to know what custom menu items are contained in the current GO program (which doesn't necessarily mean all of them are supported). For that you need to look into the executable /bin/ttn . However, that file is not directly accessible since it is part of the compressed ttsystem file. So you need to wait for the kernel to uncompress, and then you can grab the file. You would prepare a ttn file like this

cp /bin/ttn /mnt/sdcard/ttn.src
ttn&

and place it into the root of the drive. On the next startup the kernel will finish extracting, and then Linux will copy the TomTom executable to the root of the drive. After that it starts the TomTom executable (if you omit that line the boot process will stop here and the device will appear to hang).

You can then reconnect to the PC, and examine that file with a HEX viewer to find the (supposedly) supported menu items.

Using a hex editor I did find some things which looked like new menu items, but when I put them into a custom menu none of them were recognized. So I didn't dig any deeper.

Perhaps you'd like to try your own hand at this using the info above and report back to us? Heh, remember, if you don't know what you're doing you could also turn your GPS into a nice paperweight...

Honestly, for me it isn't an issue at all though, my custom menu is more important than having those new functions. You can access the map corrections in the Browse Map screen by selecting a road and using the cursor menu. The help me function doesn't particularly interest me, but if I did want to use it I could access it using the quick menu icon. Quick menus are available on the 720 and 920 but not the other TomToms. You have the ability to choose for a subset of menu items to place in a special menu which may be accessed through a special icon on the screen.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Boyd. When I had a TomTom 3rd Edition for a brief time, I spent HOURS on the internet (to the point of practically getting a divorce ;) ) and there just doesn't seem to be a way to add these features into a custom menu.

This was actually one of the driving factors behind me deciding to go with the ONE LE vs the 3rd Edition.

GREAT info in several threads on this topic.

I'm the satisfied owner (3+ yrs) of a TTG Classic and a new One XL-S (< 1 week). One thing I noticed with my XL-S was that when I hit the "Navigate To" function, it defaulted to the "State" choices, and I had to hit "Cancel" to get to the screen where I could choose from "Home", "Recent Destination", "Favorite", etc as I did on my original TTG. Customizing the menu like I did on the TTG fixed that problem, and I (like many others) moved the "Clear Route" function, without the confirmation, to the first page of the main menu.

Now, my XL-S is running with a car icon, my "Navigate To" and "Clear Route" the way I'm used to, beanbag mount that seems like it's made for the XL series, and custom POI's.

The only other setting I wish I could tweak is the start-up... my TTG would start/stop with the car (external power source), and the XL-S will only shut-down that way... need to manually start each time. Very minor in the grand scheme, and the "tweakability" is what kept me with TomTom. Also, I was able to keep all my itineraries, destinations and favorites from my TTG to the XL-S... pretty slick!

Thanks everyone for the great tips!

Does anyone have an idea of what the default x20 menu structure looks like minus help me and mapshare? It would be nice to see a tomtom.mmu of the default structure to work off of. Thanks

I thought I'd share mine.

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main Menu 1 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO||"Where To?"|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE||"Clear Route"|
MENUITEM|TASK_PLAN_VIA||"Add Waypoint"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS||"View Current Route"|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP||"Browse Map"|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main Menu 2 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES||"Find Alternative"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB||"Prepare Route"|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY||"Itinerary Planning"|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Main Menu 3 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS||"Brightness Preferences"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD||"TomTom Plus Services"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PHONE||"Mobile Phone"|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE||"Planning Preferences"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES||"Change Preferences"|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

I'm just new to the TomTom so I used the menu designer 1.11 to create new main menus (as many as you like) but I did not make new preferences menus. When I upload the new .mmu to the TomTom, I now get my new main screens but keep the original preference screens. This way I can have hot items easily accessible but still keep all the nav7 preference icons like share etc.....

This solution seems to work fine... :)

I'm just new to the TomTom so I used the menu designer 1.11 to create new main menus (as many as you like) but I did not make new preferences menus. When I upload the new .mmu to the TomTom, I now get my new main screens but keep the original preference screens. This way I can have hot items easily accessible but still keep all the nav7 preference icons like share etc.....

I've not experimented for fear of messing something up so....

Care to post your menu file or the text for copy/paste?

Care to post your menu file or the text for copy/paste?

ajsasr's post just above does pretty much the same as what muskie is talking about. You should cut and paste it to try it out.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to shortcut a menu button to automatically bypass the navigate to and go straight to the "address" or even the speech dialogue option?

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone knew how to shortcut a menu button to automatically bypass the navigate to and go straight to the "address" or even the speech dialogue option?

Thanks!

Put the 'navigate to spoken address (dialog)' button in the quick menu by using the Quick Menu Preferences option under Preferences. I found that this had to be done when not connected to TomTom Home.

Last edited:

I've seen several references to Gregory Duncan's menu designer, however the URL http://www.gregoryduncan.com/ttmd/index.php seems not to work any more - it 404s.

Does anybody have an updated link for this program?

Thanks!

I've seen several references to Gregory Duncan's menu designer, however the URL http://www.gregoryduncan.com/ttmd/index.php seems not to work any more - it 404s.

Does anybody have an updated link for this program?

Thanks!

I haven't tried ANY menu designer because I was afraid of losing one option or another so I can't vouch for this but hopefully somebody else can chime in and help:

Free online menu designer: http://www.skux.net/tomtom/menubuilder2/index.php

*** I removed the link for the other program because the free trial download was useless :(

Last edited:

Ask a Question