How to customize menus

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
Can you customize the main menu on the One XL ? If so, where can I learn how to?

I have been to SkuX's website and created a new menu I want to use. But it says to place the new .mnu file into the sdkregistry folder. I do not have that folder on my XL. Can I use this file at all, or is there a different way to change the main menu for the XL?

Thanks

Last edited:
As the TomTom uses Linux, it appears to be important to respect the case of letters. So make sure you name the folder as follows: SdkRegistry

The SdkRegistry reference causes problems in Navcore 7.x

Can you customize the main menu on the One XL ? If so, where can I learn how to?

I have been to SkuX's website and created a new menu I want to use. But it says to place the new .mnu file into the sdkregistry folder. I do not have that folder on my XL. Can I use this file at all, or is there a different way to change the main menu for the XL?

Thanks

BEWARE - The addition of the SdkRegistry folder on a device that is using the Navcore 7.x system, will cause "Help me" functionality to disappear, and add some duplicate buttons elsewhere.

This issue is due to the fact that an updated Software Development Kit (SDK) has not been provided to third-party developers by TomTom. No current SDK...no updates that provide total compatibility with new system upgrades.

TomTom has stated that they will no longer update the SDK. That's very bad news...for sure.
:(

Hi - new member here - great site!

I have been playing around with custom menus on my new 920T by editing a text file as described here: http://www.opentom.org/Menu_structure

It works great, but is there a MENUITEM command which will display the "Map Corrections" button? Also, why is the "help me" function lost? Is it just because we don't know the correct code for that item or is it something else?

(edit) Actually there seem to be a number of new menu items which aren't on that page, such as "music and media" and "automatic zooming" to name a couple. Is there a more up to date list of menu items somewhere?

Last edited:
Hi - new member here - great site!

I have been playing around with custom menus on my new 920T by editing a text file as described here: http://www.opentom.org/Menu_structure

It works great, but is there a MENUITEM command which will display the "Map Corrections" button? Also, why is the "help me" function lost? Is it just because we don't know the correct code for that item or is it something else?

(edit) Actually there seem to be a number of new menu items which aren't on that page, such as "music and media" and "automatic zooming" to name a couple. Is there a more up to date list of menu items somewhere?

Hello Boyd, welcome to the forum.

As you are already noticing all the new commands that come with NavCore 7, such as the ones you pointed out, are not known. To be honest, I don't think it will be known unless TomTom will update their SDK (which they chosen to discontinue).

Thanks for the welcome!

Oh well, I guess I need to try some educated guesses :) . But since I don't use the media player and most of the other features can be accessed in other ways, it isn't such a huge deal. I already like my hacked main menu much better; I've put the Browse Map command as the first item on page one, so I can jump immediately to it by pushing the center cursor button on the remote twice. That seemed like a really basic function to bury on the second page of the menus.

Exactly - FWIW, here is the first version of my TomTom.mnu file:

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main Menu 1 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main Menu 2 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Main Menu 3 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_WEATHER|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_TUTORIAL|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PHONE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

I don't know for sure, but am guessing it would work. See this link: http://www.opentom.org/Menu_structure

Open a text editor and paste the commands into it, then save the file with the name TomTom.mnu. Then connect your GPS to your computer and create a directory named SDKRegistry (actually it works with all lowercase on my unit) and put the file there. When you reboot the GPS the new menus should be there. To revert to the old menus, just remove the file.

However, if you aren't comfortable messing with computers then it may not be a good idea to do this kind of thing...

Open a text editor and paste the commands into it, then save the file with the name TomTom.mnu

If you are using Notepad, watch out. It will add a '.txt' to the end of the filename. You have to manually delete this in order for the menu to work.

To repeat, rename 'TomTom.mnu.txt' to 'TomTom.mnu'

Custom menu vs. new v7 features

I have a new TT1V3. I understand that when I create a custom menu file, I can restore missing features such as displaying text files and planning itineraries. However, that means I lose "menu icon access" to the new v7 features like Help Me and Map Share. I believe I understand this is related to the fact that TomTom has dropped development of their SDK.

So, here's my question, still being a TT newbie. Is it possible that a command will be "discovered" (i.e. MENUITEM|TASK_CORRECT_MAP|) that will restore access to the new v7 features in a custom menu file, or will this never happen unless the SDK gets updated?

I'd love to "have it all" on my new TT1, but I understand that's asking a lot of an entry-level model!

Thanks for any advice -- I'm enjoying the "tweakability" of the TT!

I've been playing around with some guesses at the new commands, but no luck so far. Not familiar with your unit, but on the Go 720 and 920 you also have the "Quick Menu" icon which is configured through the preferences. It will let you put the "Help Me" there along with some other things. So this is one work-around for features we can't put in the custom menus.

Also, I found the following in a link elsewhere here. It's a list of all the functions in version 6 from the SDK and I believe it contains some items not available on the other lists I've seen. I sure would like to know how to add a button to enable/disable autozoom though! :confused:

3.6. Overview menu items

For more information on TomTom GO menu items, please refer to the manual that is provided with the TomTom GO.

Blocks

There are three blocks that can currently be defined in a menu file:

BLOCK_MAIN , Main Menu Block
BLOCK_PREF, Preferences Menu Block
BLOCK_CURSOR, Cursor Menu Block
BTM_options

At block-level, the following items can be defined to be shown at the bottom of the screen. Each menu-page of that block will show the BTM_options defined for that block.

BTM_GPS_POSITION , GPS Information
BTM_DONE , Done Button
TRAFFIC_INFO , Traffic Information
Menu Items

The following menu items can be used in the customized menu file for the main menu and the preferences menu.

Special Tasks

TASK_EMPTY, no task and this option will be shown as a blanc spot in the 6-option menu
TASK_NONE, no task and no placeholder for it in the menu
TASK_PAGEn, (n is in the range 1-20) a number identifying the custom menu page
TASK_SDKn, (n is in the range 1-50) a command to be sent to a client application, as defined in a capability file
Navigation

TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE, Choose part of the route to avoid
TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE , Clear Route with asking the user confirmation first
TASK_DELETE_ROUTE, Clear Route immediately
TASK_ITINERARY , Itinerary planning
TASK_NAVIGATE_TO , Navigate to
TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES , Go to "Find alternative" menu
TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB , Advanced planning
TASK_MENU_RECALC_BLOCK, Go to "Avoid roadblock" menu
TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS, Show the menu with options for vieuwing route
TASK_PLAN_VIA, Calculate a route that goes via specified address
TASK_SET_TOLL, Set the preferences for toll roads
TASK_SET_PLANTYPE, Set the preferences for route planning
TASK_SET_CRADLE, Set cradle preferences
TASK_SHOW_ROUTE_DEMO, Demonstrate planned route
TASK_SHOW_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS, Show the list with route instructions
TASK_STEP_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS, Browse through the route instructions as images
TASK_SWITCH_2D3D, Switch between 2D and 3D navigation view
Downloads

TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD , Download extras
TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC , TomTom Traffic
TASK_SHOW_WEATHER , TomTom Weather
Manage Maps

TASK_DELETE_MAP, Delete a map
TASK_SET_MAP, Choose a current map
TASK_SET_HIDEMAP, Specifies whether the map should be replaced with a simpler view under certain conditions
TASK_SHOW_MAP , Browse map
Favourites

TASK_ADD_FAVORITE , Add favourite
TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES, Maintain the list of favorites
Preferences

TASK_CHANGE_HOME_LOCATION, Specify new home location
TASK_LEFTHANDED, Switch between lefthanded and righthanded UI
TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES , Change Preferences
TASK_RESET_SETTINGS, Restore original application settings
TASK_ROTATE_DISPLAY, rotate display by 180 degrees
TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS, Adjust the brightness level for the device
TASK_SET_BACKLIGHT, Adjust the backlight settings for the device
TASK_SET_CLOCK_TYPE, Set clock type
TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES, Choose day and night color schemes
TASK_SET_COMPASS, Specify how to show the compass in the navigation view
TASK_SET_DAY_COLOR_SCHEME, Choose day color scheme
TASK_SET_DIST_UNITS, Choose distance units
TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_SIZE, Set preferences (size and type) of the on-screen keyboard.
TASK_SET_LANGUAGE, Choose application language
TASK_SET_NIGHT_COLOR_SCHEME, Choose night color scheme
TASK_SET_PROMPT, Specify the additional settings for voice promtps
TASK_SET_STATUS, Specify the information to show at the bottom of navigation view
TASK_SET_VOICE, Choose the voice for reading instructions
TASK_SET_VOLUME, Adjust the voice volume
TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS , Configure GPS
TASK_SHOW_STATUS, Show route status
TASK_SWITCH_ASN, Switch accelerometer on/off
TASK_SWITCH_BLUETOOTH, Enable/disable bluetooth connectivity
TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW, Switch to night view mode
TASK_SWITCH_SOUND, Enable/disable sound
TASK_SWITCH_TIPS, Enable/disable tips
POI

TASK_CONFIGURE_POI, Choose which types of POI to show
TASK_MAINTAIN_POI, Go to POI maintenance menu
TASK_SWITCH_POI, shows/hides POI
Traffic

TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC, go to traffic menu
TASK_TRAFFIC_ENABLE, enable traffic support
TASK_TRAFFIC_EXPLAIN, help for traffic
TASK_TRAFFIC_REPLAN, replan current route
TASK_TRAFFIC_SETTINGS, specify traffic settings
TASK_TRAFFIC_UPDATE, update traffic information
TASK_TRAFFIC_VIEW, go to traffic incidents view
Miscellanious tasks

TASK_ABOUT, show Navigator information screen
TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY, specify naming preferences for map/navigation views
TASK_BUDDIES, go to buddies menu
Downloads

TASK_DOWNLOAD_MAP, Download map
TASK_DOWNLOAD_POI, Download POI
TASK_DOWNLOAD_VOICE, Download voice
TASK_DOWNLOAD_SCHEME, Download color scheme
TASK_DOWNLOAD_VERSIONNUMBER, Upgrade the Navigator application
TASK_MANAGE_MAPS, Go to "Manage maps" menu
TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD, Go to "Downloads" menu
TASK_SERVICE_LOGIN, Perform login to the TomTom Plus services
TASK_SHOW_WEATHER, Get the current weather information
Help

TASK_HELP_GENERAL, General help
TASK_HELP_ITINERARY, Help for itinerary
TASK_HELP_MAINMENU, Help for the main menu
TASK_HELP_MAPBROWSER, Help for the map view
TASK_HELP_PLANNING, Help for route planning
TASK_HELP_TRAFFIC, Help for traffic
TASK_HELP_ZOOMING, Help for zooming
TASK_TUTORIAL , Guided tour
Phone

TASK_DIAL_POI, Dial the POI
TASK_MENU_PHONE , Mobile phone
TASK_PAIR_WITH_PHONE, Connect to the phone via Bluetooth
Multimedia

TASK_MULTIMEDIA, Go to multimedia menu
TASK_JUKEBOX, Go to jukebox menu
TASK_IPOD, Go to IPod control
TASK_IMAGE_BROWSER, Go to image library
TASK_DOC_BROWSER, Go to document reader
The following menu items can be used in the customized menu file for the map cursor menu.

Cursor menu

TASK_PLAN_TO_MAPLOC, Navigate to map cursor location.
TASK_NEARBY_POICAT, Find POI near map cursor location.
TASK_CENTER_ON_MAP, Center map on map cursor location.
TASK_DO_ADD_FAVOURITE, Add map cursor location as favourite.
TASK_CURSOR_INTO_POI, Add map cursor location as POI.
TASK_TRAVEL_VIA, Travel via map cursor location.

BEWARE - The addition of the SdkRegistry folder on a device that is using the Navcore 7.x system, will cause "Help me" functionality to disappear, and add some duplicate buttons elsewhere.

There has to be more to it than just the addition of the sdkregistry.

When I installed Suntime, it created the sdkregistry directory and place the Suntime menu item and icon inside.

Despite the fact that I have the sdkregistry in Nav 7, I also still have my "Help me!" & "Map corrections" items.

I haven't yet played around with any other custom menus but if the Suntime developer can create a new menu page in Nav 7 without losing the "Help me" perhaps it's also possible to customize the menu without losing the "Help me". At the very least maybe just add additional menu pages with any hidden features.

TT One 3rd Ed - v 7.161

There has to be more to it than just the addition of the sdkregistry.

When I installed Suntime, it created the sdkregistry directory and place the Suntime menu item and icon inside.

Despite the fact that I have the sdkregistry in Nav 7, I also still have my "Help me!" & "Map corrections" items.

I haven't yet played around with any other custom menus but if the Suntime developer can create a new menu page in Nav 7 without losing the "Help me" perhaps it's also possible to customize the menu without losing the "Help me". At the very least maybe just add additional menu pages with any hidden features.

TT One 3rd Ed - v 7.161

Actually, I don't think it's the act of creating the sdkregistry directory, but the act of creating a tomtom.mnu file there with new commands which builds a new set of menu screens. Since we don't yet know the commands for the Help Me and Map Share features, they can't be included in tomtom.mnu, and they get lost.

Installing Suntime doesn't do this, it just automatically gets inserted onto its own new menu page. I experienced the same thing after installing Offroad Navigator -- the stock menus stay put, with a new page 3 for the new app.

Hope that helps -- I'm a newbie here, but I think I got that straight! :)

Ask a Question