How do updates work?

Once you purchase the app how do map updates work? Do you get so many before an update or do you repurchase every time?

When you first get a unit, you are entitled to ONE free update within 30 days to the current map.

If you choose to partake of a map subscription, then you pay to get to current and you pay one lump amount for four more map udates over the next 12 months.

The older your current map, the more you pay to get to 'current'.

If so inclined, you'll find the map subscription (4 updates/year) is much cheaper than a single map purchase.

That said, there are those quite happy with maps well over a year old (and maybe with fewer features, like no iq data if your model can show it) and don't upgrade at all.

When you first get a unit, you are entitled to ONE free update within 30 days to the current map.

If you choose to partake of a map subscription, then you pay to get to current and you pay one lump amount for four more map udates over the next 12 months.

The older your current map, the more you pay to get to 'current'.

If so inclined, you'll find the map subscription (4 updates/year) is much cheaper than a single map purchase.

That said, there are those quite happy with maps well over a year old (and maybe with fewer features, like no iq data if your model can show it) and don't upgrade at all.

so the iphone app is the same as buying a regular gps unit? I am asking because I got the email about the 49.95 deal and I wanted to load this on my mom's iphone for her. I just wanted to see how the updates worked for the iphone. Do you just go online at tomtom and sign up for the map subscription the same way?

Sorry...I'm an idiot.........:eek:

That price is for a US map only for the phone.

Others will have to jump in here as far as upgrades are concerned.

As far as I know, TomTom have still not announced how to upgrade maps on the iPhone. They have said that this will be announced later when they have decided how to do it.
Like it is now you have to replace the application (with the maps). That's how the upggrade from V1.1 (maps 8.30) to V1.2 (maps 8.35) was handeled.
There's no map subscription for the iPhone at this moment.

As far as I know, TomTom have still not announced how to upgrade maps on the iPhone. They have said that this will be announced later when they have decided how to do it.
Like it is now you have to replace the application (with the maps). That's how the upggrade from V1.1 (maps 8.30) to V1.2 (maps 8.35) was handeled.
There's no map subscription for the iPhone at this moment.

was the upgrade free?

The last one was. No indications from TomTom whether that was a one-time thing or not. As Runarg said, TomTom hasn't yet announced how the future updates will be handled, nor for how much if any.

Ask a Question