How can I Browse POI's?

I have a 930 Traffic, is there anyway of browsing the POI's? When I want to navigate or just view a POI I have to select either
POI near you
POI in city
POI near home
If I have done a route I can also choice
POI along route
POI near destination

What I wanted to do was get details of POI's I created on a trip to Spain & Portugal but can't find anyway of just viewing them. My only solution up to now was to copy the OV2 file onto my PC & convert it to a CSV file. I can't remember where some of the places were & the only other way is to try manually searching the map for the icon. All I am looking for is to be able to open & view a category.

Once a custom file set is in the .ov2 format, it can't be read in a normal text editor. You can do as you did (csv) or you can use an application such as POI EDIT found here.

Dl it and open the .ov2 file in it. You'll see all your items listed there.

I know I can extract the data from an OV2 file, what I want to do is look at the POI on the TomTom.
Example, I created a POI set on our last trip, when I created each POI I put the location (Town/City) + the date we were there. If I could Navigate to a POI I could browse down the list of my custom set to see where I was. I haven't found a way of being able to do this, as I said I can only look at the POI's from the options in my first post, this is ok if I knew where the POI was other than that I can't just browse through the set I created.

Don't know if this will even half way meet your requirement (not really clear exactly what you want to do).

If you have TYRE installed and double click on a POI category in Windows Explorer it will open with TYRE.
You can now Rename the individual POIs to anything you want without affecting its location unless you move it in the Edit mode.

I use that for trips and put a meaningful name of a person or location in front of the actual address, separated by 5 spaces from the latter so that I can find these very fast in the list (which is sorted by distance from current location).

What I cannot do, and I suspect this is what you are looking for, is to select to display a category and have them all show up while Browse map.

I want to be able to look at the POI's within a POI group on the Tomtom. If I want to find any information about the POI's using the PC I can do that easily.

When I created a POI group of our last trip I gave each POI the name of the place & the date we were there. What I would like to do would be just browse the group I created on the Tomtom.
As a hypothetical example if somebody was asking me where we were on a certain day on our trip (probably wouldn't happen) I can't browse the group I created. I can only browse the POI group within the limits from the navigate menu such as having to find one near a location (which I don't remember) or near to a route I have created etc. What I would like would be to 'Navigate' to POI then select the group & look within the group at all the POI's within the group I created.

If you have even a general idea of where you want to be on the map, you can always "turn on" a specific POI group for display when you are just looking at a map of an area. Not sure if that tackles your specific need or not.

Main Menu
[If necessary, Change Preferences / Manage Maps / Switch map to the one where you were]

Main Menu
Browse map
Options
Be sure Points of Interest is selected
POI
Make sure the POI group from your trip is selected (and perhaps turn off others)
Done
Done

Now browsing the map will allow you to see all of the POI you created in the group you selected. You can touch an individual POI and it will produce the name and any other information you gave it.

Well, it is....sort of.

If you create a custom group and, when you add an item to the group, call it '05091' for example (first point for May 9) then if you have more points for the same day, carry on with '05092', etc. Then for May 10th on your journey, carry on with similar numbering.

Then, use canderson's tip about showing just your custom category on the map, go to Browse map, scan out and you'll see all the points (well, lots) for the locations where you were.

Main Menu
Browse map
Options
Be sure Points of Interest is selected
POI

Bloody 'ell!

I was going to suggest selecting the custom POI and then Browse map in my initial reply.
Trying it before posting, as I usually do with suggestions, it did not work.
No POIs showed. After several tries I refrained from mentioning this.

Reading your and dhn's post this morning I went in and found that I had not checked the Option Point of interest.
Duh!

See.........wasn't that worth the subscription price you pay to belong here?

Uh, wait a minute................:cool:

Bloody 'ell!
I was going to suggest selecting the custom POI and then Browse map in my initial reply.
I was thinking that if the OP zoomed out far enough, he would be able to see lots of his POIs. Touching any one of them would bring up his details for a specific POI. I use my unit in that manner for geocaching (I load a fresh custom POI of unfound caches weekly) on a regular basis. Zoom out, spot a cluster of the POI where I'm headed, and touch one to get the "GC code" for that particular cache.

Ask a Question