Why won't my Tomtom won't leave my browser?

Since I got a new Tomtom and loaded the software on my computer, each time I turn on my computer or reboot, The tomtom software opens my browser and defaults to the tomtom getting started page.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this? I don't need or want my browser opened by any program. I have Windows 7 and use Firefox. I don't need to update the maps every day. There must be an easy fix.

Help when you can.

Should be easy....
Click on the MyTomTom Support Application (the icon in the system tray next to the clock) Select "Settings", and on the "General" tab, untick "Start MyTomTom when the computer starts".

When you DO want to update your TomTom, you *will* need it to start your browser, as that's the way that My TomTom connects back to the TomTom servers.

Is this with Home 2 you are talking about or MyTomTom (needed for the newer models)?

If MyTomTom, if you click on the desktop icon and go into the preferences selection, I think the first tab (General) has an option to start the program when the computer is turned on. Uncheck it.

Tennis.gif

Maybe i should uninstall and start over. There is no desktop icon. This is for a new Tomtom and the software says My Tomtom 3.
also,
Once I close my browser, I cannot launch the software again until I reboot the computer.

I have updated the maps since I first loaded it on the 4th. I just don't need to do it every day.

Maybe we should start with the basics......

1. What model DO you have?
2. Did you get the MyTomTom using the tomtom.com/getstarted link?

Maybe i should uninstall and start over. There is no desktop icon. This is for a new Tomtom and the software says My Tomtom 3.
also,
The MyTomTom program does not have a desktop icon in the sense that the icon is up on the main part of the screen. The MyTomTom program access lurks down in the "tray" in the bottom right corner of your screen, along with the icons for things like sound volume, etc.

When using Windows 7 (at least on my computer), it requires two steps to bring it on screen. First, there is an upward pointing arrow that needs to be clicked. Once that is done, it opens a small window in the bottom right of the screen with several icons in it. One of those is the icon that will bring up the MyTomTom program.

Just to make it even more confusing, when that icon is clicked, it opens a MyTomTom window on the bottom right side of the screen, and also starts your browser and sends it to the TomTom server. This window that opens on the bottom right is the place at which you can implement the suggestion by Andy_P.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

ET,
That did it. Thanks much! Just not as familiar with this system as I am with my old XP. I rebooted and no problem.

Ask a Question