Help with downloading Route Planning on 720

TomTom Model(s)
Good morning,

I'm new to the site, as I have benn visiting for about a week. I recieved ny new GO 720 last night. After making a back up and down loding the most current applications, I tried the Route Planning on myTomTom . When I tried to downlaod ia route I liked to my navigation device, I recieved a window saying this request is not supported by your current application.

My question is: Is IQ and route planning from computer to device available for the 720.

Also, I can't get the same route when I try and plan it on my 720.

I did a search of the site and could not find an answer.

Thanks,

Pete

Welcome to TTF. Yes, you use itinerary planning for such a thing. Any downloaded itineraries go in the itn folder on your unit and the file should have an itn extension.

Understand that an itinerary just specifies the waypoints to travel through on the way to a destination. TT's routing algorithm still decides HOW to get from waypoint 1 to waypoint 2. The more waypoints you have (max=48), the less likely it is for the TT routing to deviate from the roads you want to travel by.

Also see this link for further ideas.

When I tried to downlaod ia route I liked to my navigation device, I recieved a window saying this request is not supported by your current application.
dhn's reply might have given you already the answer to your question. If not, could you explain what you were actually doing.
Arno

I'm going from Wilson, NY to Essex, NY. TomTom Home Route Planning, routed me through the Adirondacks which was a route I would like to try. When I tried loading it from my computer to my 720, I got a dialoge box stating that that current applications do not support this. When I tried the route planning on the 720, it took me out of the way through Albany, NY. Alternate routing were worse.

Hope this helps describe what I am trying to do.

Pete

I'm going from Wilson, NY to Essex, NY.
I don't know what you are doing as I get virtually the same route with Google maps and my 930.
On your 720 go to Prepare Route A-B (screen 2 of Main menu). As you do not specify addresses (you can send me an eMail for exact door-to-door test) I selected City center.
I get 6h 22min and 591 km leaving the Thruway, going through Rome, taking Rte 8 until it meets the Northway in Pottersville.
Settings are Fastest route, allow toll roads, leave at no specific time.

Last edited:
What won't come up? The icon for Plan from A to B? Look for an Advanced Planning icon.

If you see neither, move to about page 7 of the preferences screen to ensure 'show more menu options' is selected.

As far as the routes not matching the online version:

The online version has IQroutes.

The Tomtom 720 only has IQroutes if you upgrade to map 800 or later. If ships with a 700 series map, so you probably don't have IQroutes and that explains the difference in the path.

The map upgrade is free within the first 30 days (call up Tomtom to get it working) if you purchased a non-refurbished 720. The latest version is 835.

That's what I am looking for. But, it won't come up on my 720.
What won't come up? The icon for Plan from A to B? Look for an Advanced Planning icon.
As far as the routes not matching the online version:
The online version has IQroutes.
That should not be the problem in this case as the basic Google map shows the route through the Adirondacks. If IQ had come into play all it could do is to show the route via Albany as the faster route.
That is doubtful as I did it with a 930 with a 815 map.
Just for the sake of trying I also selected Travel via ... "Albany" and the drive took 11 minutes longer.
Until par3773 replies to dhn's question we can only speculate.

Ask a Question