Help New XL 325 SE user "downloading errors!"

TomTom Model(s)
XL 325 SE
Hello,
We got a TomTom XL325 SE for XMASS and it is our first GPS unit.. I installed the latest version of TomTom Home, v2.7 I think and have a windows Vista PC..
First issue. Home told me to update the computer voice Samantha and install the GPS Quick fix to help locate the satellites faster.. I first checked and the computer voice version on my TT unit. It was v510 so sure enough I thought the new computer voice v520 should be installed.. After that no more sound from the computer voice.. so I reinstalled the updated Samantha v520 computer voice and it worked for about 10mins.. I then reconnected the TT to the computer to see what was up and windows told me to run the disk checking program and I did.. it told me there were errors on the TT drive and that it would correct them and I would have no more issues.. So I let scan disk fix the disk errors.. No sound no voices worked then..

I ended up running restore on home. Took about 2 hours or so but unit is working again.. Only issue is I had backed up the unit after downloading and installing the GPS satellite fix program.. But that was the only change I made before I backed the unit up.. I then messed with the updating of the computer voices..

So I guess what I'm asking is do I dare update the unit? I still have the latest Map guarantee! Do I use it? I have map US / Canada v8.038 that came with the unit now.. I know the update version is 8.40.. But is home really this unstable? Is it the TT Should I use my XP windows computer instead of Vista?

Please fill me in on what to do and what is the best way to update the unit.. What should I not update? Anything? Do I join the map correction? It said there were over 3000 corrections I would be missing.. ! Any info would be great! What a pain this is.. Thanks for all the help All info welcome.. George

Welcome, first read the announcement at the top of the forum about tips for new users, ESPECIALLY making an Explorer backup.

The version you referred to is the application version. Tap the satellite bars to see it. Then tap the version number to see the MAP version installed and its version. (You are right, 840 is the latest).

And, you might want to check this thread out:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-xl-xxl/10724-vista-error-scan-fix.html

I'm a newbie too. Day 7 of being an owner of 2 tomtom 125 SE's. I fell in the same pit you did but you fortunately backed up your tomtom and had something to go back too. Vista "scanned and fixed" my mom's tomtom drive and I had to work for 3 days or so to copy my wifes new device files to my mom's device. My mom's tomtom did not have a working voice either after the "vista fix". Home seems like a good program and I would update the maps and the gps fix and the voices, but backup before doing so. I would backup the whole device using Windows Explorer search other posts on the site for details. Updating the maps was how I recovered my mom's "vista fixed" drive because you can't copy a map file from one device to another to prevent map sharing I guess.

On a side note. I'm guessing 125se and 325 se run just about the same software only difference is the screen size. I love mine (I mean, my wifes) :) . It does a darn good job of pronouncing the street names which really helps you learn the street's you've driven on your entire life but never known the names of. Can't wait for a trip to somewhere other than my home town to try it out... I also like the custom POI voice alerts. I set up one for school zones "School zone ahead, watch your speed."

Another topic I would like info on is:
What are the differences between a TOMTOM One 125 and One 125 SE other than the text to voice?

Thanks for the reply! I will do the reading you suggest.. At least I did do a backup, given with Home and after I updated the one satellite fix program.. That did save my butt.. I will do a Explorer backup as soon as I get brave enough to reconnect the TomTom back up to my computer.. Should I then use home and do the Map update? Do I do all the suggested updates? Thanks! George

After the Explorer backup, connect to Home and get any application update it offers, install it. Then disconnect the unit PROPERLY from the computer, using Home's Device Disconnect.

Turn off the unit. Turn on. Reconnect to Home and go for Tools-->Latest Map Guarantee.

(try to do this with a directly connected computer, not a wireless connection).

After the new map is installed, make another Explorer backup to a different folder.

Thank you for your reply OneDaySale!! Sorry you had such a issue with your unit too.. I'm going to do a lot of reading but one would think that if one stayed within Home and followed the suggested updates one would be OK... No so I guess!! I wish they would have said that about scan disk box coming up.. Darn shame that TomTom sight tells to to let scan disk do it's thing too.. I guess we all are new to this at some point.. Thanks again!! George

dhn.

I still need you help.. After backing up in Explorer then other day today I had some time ands thought it would be a good Idea to use the LMG and download the newest US&Canada map 840.. I plug in my TomTom and picked that choice in the menu.. OK it's downloading I thought good!! 2 hours later it's downloaded ands starts installing.. that's going slow too mu I don;t mind as long as it works.. well almost all the way through the install process i GET A ERROR OR MANY Errors chrome. something.. So I could not do another thing from there so I clicked dome.. and started the hole process over again..
I clicked from the menus to use my LMG and it did once again only this time it was almost intently downloaded and install without out a hitch. I thought good .. so I made another Explorer backup and ejected my TomTom as I should shut it off then on again.. Red screen said the map US& Canada CAN NOT BE USED... This is driving me nuts.. What to do now??
I'm going to try a soft boot 15s on the off button ans see.. in not I will hook my TomTom up and let Explorer delete all of it;s contents and from my first backup copy with original map 8.83 I think copy those files to me device and see if I can get back to a working unit.. Please help if you can see what I'm doing wrong..

My computer is on a fast cable connection hard wired with cat5 winning vista.. Thanks!! George

Last edited:
Why is there so many issues with home? I'm hoping once I get this new map backed up at least I'll have it and can lest you know it's files and size to make sure it's a good copy.. Will a XP PC work better with home or just a different vista unit and can install Home in my wife's desktop running vista..

I just don't think it shoud be this hard to do!!!! I have never used the tomtom yet.. There has to be a better way.. George

The downloads failed!!!!! So now what? Nothing I seem to think Of will work. I retried downloading and copy from th file from my downloaded but still not luck.. At least my Explorer worked on bringing it back to working condition... Why is this home such a Fuss with Tom Tom???? Is this home thing some kind of bad joke.. Home should work better then that in dead. What a joke.. It would be really nice to have a working gps..... Can SOMONE PLEASE SEND ME A file from there gpe that will allow it to run right with My US and Canada that will let it to run #840? Thanks for your help... I'm very disappointed in Tom Tom..... Please help what the heck am i doing wrong????? Thanks George

Last edited:
After the install of LMG US7Canada 840 I would get a red screen saying that the us& Canada map was invalid do I want to pick another? I said YES and picked the only map i had installed on the unit US& Canada and was right back to the first red screen telling me my US& Canada map was invalid. Do I want to pick another and so on.. Right now I deleted all files on the TomTom from with in Explorer and copied my backup files to the tom tom again from explore.. almost 2 hours and still don't have a working updated 840 map in my TomTom... Looks like I do have a copy of that map on my computer from the previous attempt of updating my TomTom ... Maybe that will somehow help.. Please Help me out and get this thing working.. It can't be this bad there would be to many complaints about it.. George

dhn,

Do you mean the latest application of Home? Yes I think I do.. Home 2.7.3.1894... One thing I did do that may be why I'm having issues is I downloaded the latest version of home from the Home site and installed that before connecting my TomTom.. Could this be why I'm having so may issues?

Thanks for trying to help me. If there is any info you need from me to help you help me please feel free to ask.. I would love to get this think right.. Thanks! George
Maybe this is what your looking for:
OK the other application that's in the unit it APP 8.083 (9669/090817)

Last edited:
There are many reports of people with that special model having significant issues with it. You know, it might be best if you just try to return it.

It was a XMASS gift so if posable I really don't want to do that. The person that got it for us went way out of there way to make this a special gift for us.. Maybe there are some out there with this model that have worked out the issues with it... TomTom should Owen up to it if there having issues with this model! Please Help is still needed with my issues.. Anyone? Thank you for your continued help with this.. George

dhn,
I'll give it a shot.. Can't do it tonight.. I'm thinking after doing a lot of reading that TT changed the way activation is done in there latter models and maybe this has something to do with it all..

I'm going to take my TT out for a drive to make sure it's in good working order now.. Then this is what I will try before I try your idea. I have access to another computer that never see my TT to I was thinking I would hook up to that and let my TT tell me to install Home that resides on the TomTom.. Maybe somehow that will get activation going and then I will be able to download the new map and have it work..

In any case after my try on another computer I'll give you suggestion's a shot..

I think there has to be something we are all missing... Thanks for all the great help.. Please if you think of anything else to try keep the ideas coming!! George

Hey,
Just a short update.. My unit was working fine for about two weeks I hooked it up to home checking for updated , none found. Made sure to disconnect it properly waiting for the do you want to connect to the computer again picking No.. Somehow it got corrupt again.. So I am going for a proper FAT 32 Format and I let it pick the allocation size it self 4096 bytes.. First attempt failed. Try #2 formatting extremely slow going but still formatting.. I will try and install the app and I have a downloaded copy of the latest map v840 saved to my computer so I hope Home can see me as a valid user and let it run.. I am hoping that my last format job , just plain FAT with a allocation size of 32 bytes was the cause of my issues this time.. Please cross your fingers for me and be patient.. I feel I have learned a lot here.. Just going to try to do it and have a positive attitude about it all this time.. I don't want to use my Explorer backups as I feel they are corrupt and will try and use this as a learning experience! I'll try and not drive you guy's nuts! Thank you all!! George

Ask a Question