Help with Address input?

I have a TomTom Go 700 and I've updated it with TomTom Home with all the latest updates.

My question is about finding a way to make inputting the street names a little easier.

For example, in Los Angeles, if I want to plot a destination to the Intersection of "Vermont & 6th", it lets me input Vermont just fine, but 6th won't show up at all. It's because it's only entered into the TomTom database as W 6th.

Is there a setting I"m unaware of that will make it so entering 6th will show me "W 6th?"

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is highly frustrating as I don't always know which direction the street is going.

Try this, instead of searching for Vermont and then 6th, try searching for 6th and then Vermont. Does, that make a difference?

I tried searching for Vermont, which found it but when I type in 6th for the next street it wasn't finding anything.

N34.06362, W118.29164.
Is that the place ?
I use 'Vermont ave S', not 'Vermont ave' - then cross street as '6th' then browse down. I have a 510 with latest NA map.
You said you got all the updates, it doesn't mean that your map is latest. That, you have to pay.

If a cross street doesn't show up, then always work backwards to see if something is missing. using digital-flex's idea always works for me.

N34.06362, W118.29164.
Is that the place ?
I use 'Vermont ave S', not 'Vermont ave' - then cross street as '6th' then browse down. I have a 510 with latest NA map.
You said you got all the updates, it doesn't mean that your map is latest. That, you have to pay.

That also works with the old map.

Wow! So many replies, I'll check it out tonight when I get home. I just got the TomTom 700 over Christmas, so I'll check which maps it has.

I'll let you guys know, thanks so much for helping a newbie out.

I'm sorry, the actual intersection I'm having problems with is:

W 6th St & S Berendo St, Los Angeles CA

When I type in Berendo, I select it, then try to enter 6th, i only get W 126th St as an option.

It just seems to me that it requires way too specific information about the streets for me to enter it, I wish I could just enter Berendo & 6th, and it give me an option to choose the intersection.

instead, I have to play this game of inputting different directions in order to get it correct.

Any way that this could be easier for me? Because I don't always know if it's a St, Ave, Drv, etc... and it's pretty frustrating when I can't find the exact intersection I that I want.

Thanks in advance!

I make red light camera POIs and I alway battle finding intersections on the tomtom to retrieve the cordinates. if I see options like street, ave or drv, I scroll through each possible answer until it comes up. I haven't had a problem find an intersection unless it doesn't exist or the street name changes from one side of the street to the other.

Because I don't always know if it's a St, Ave, Drv, etc... and it's pretty frustrating when I can't find the exact intersection I that I want.
need3d, I am not trying to be funny, but if you don't know the address you want to go to, how do you expect the TT to find it? The reason it is requiring you to be specific is probably because there are similarly named streets. If you are not precise, you are not going to get the right location.

If, after typing in Berendo st., you only get 126th st. as a cross-street option, it is because 126th is the only street with '6' in the name that crosses Berendo.

I'm sorry, the actual intersection I'm having problems with is:

W 6th St & S Berendo St, Los Angeles CA

When I type in Berendo, I select it, then try to enter 6th, i only get W 126th St as an option.

It just seems to me that it requires way too specific information about the streets for me to enter it, I wish I could just enter Berendo & 6th, and it give me an option to choose the intersection.

instead, I have to play this game of inputting different directions in order to get it correct.

Any way that this could be easier for me? Because I don't always know if it's a St, Ave, Drv, etc... and it's pretty frustrating when I can't find the exact intersection I that I want.

Thanks in advance!

Interesting. When I type in Berendo on my 910 with the old map, I get a choice of of Berendo Ave, N Berendo St and S Berendo St. When I choose S Berendo and enter 6 the only choice I get is W 6tn St.

need3d, I am not trying to be funny, but if you don't know the address you want to go to, how do you expect the TT to find it? The reason it is requiring you to be specific is probably because there are similarly named streets. If you are not precise, you are not going to get the right location.

If, after typing in Berendo st., you only get 126th st. as a cross-street option, it is because 126th is the only street with '6' in the name that crosses Berendo.

I agree, that makes sense but I guess I'm spoiled by the built-in navigation in my Acura TSX. The TomTom is used by my wife.

In my Acura navi, if i type a Berendo, it just shows me the street name without street type (ave/blvd/drive), and let's me choose cross street by similar virtue.

That way it shows me all cross streets crossing any "Berendo" and then when I choose the "6th" it'll show me all the potential intersections for me to choose from with additional information like "1600-1800 S Berendo Ave" or something similar.

So I basically get to Berendo and 6th without having to specify S Berendo Ave or W 6th. I just need to know the root names of the streets.

It's just a lot easier for me to find an intersection that way.

I was hoping the TomTom would provide a similar mechanism to this functionality.

Ask a Question