Spoken Address (Dialog) problem, please help!

sfc

Hi everyone, I'm new and I just bought my first GPS, a TomTom 730

I have a problem with the Spoken Address (Dialog) feature. For example, it allows me to speak the city and then brings up the six options each numbered 1 through 6. However, at this screen the mouth icon on the top right is greyed out. I was stuck there yelling 1 at the top of my lungs until realizing that the mouth icon was not lit, meaning the TomTom was not listening to me. :cool:

Anyone know why my TomTom stops listening to me after I say my city? And I am using the Spoken Address (Dialog) option and not the Spoken Address. The same problem happens after saying the street also.

Thank You

Last edited:
Things to check and try:
  1. Do a pin reset
  2. Initially, MANUALLY navigate to --> Street Address and make sure the map is set to the state you want. Then cancel the procedure and try again with the spoken dialogue.
  3. Ensure (using Explorer) that you have a bunch of csspeech_xx.dat in the specific map folder.
  4. Is there a text file called support_asr.dat located in the asr folder with just a value 1 in it (no quotes), nothing else?

If the preceding don't work, then try the clear flash tool found here.

I'm not sure what your talking about for 3. and 4. but I'll plug it in my computer and give that a try when i get home.

It's just weird how it is semi working...

So it asks city, street, and then numerics. For the FIRST number, I can speak it but any number after that the mouth icon greys out again. Hmm :confused:

Is my unit defective?

When it says to 'please state city' and you do so, does the city show up? If it does, do you say the number for the city you see (like '1') and does it accept it and then does it say 'please state street'? (this is with the spoken dialogue method.....

Yes when I say the city it shows up. Then the next screen will show 1 - San Francisco but I won't be able to say "1", I would have to press "1"

Wow, so electronic devices are evolving to a point where they have gained the ability to ignore our spoken commands. They too, get tired of following our orders.

Hi,
I've just got a refurbished GO 730 and I can't get Spoken address function up when I am in Canada mode. The minute I go to input a US location, speech input is there as an option, and seems to work well. I tried the clear Flash(list) that you mentioned to the other user. Is Spoken Address available for Canada?
Thanks

Yes, it is. Very strange. Make sure you have a file called csspeech_CAN.dat in your NA map folder. It's required.

Ask a Question