help: entering address with zip code

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 3rd
Hi,
I have annoying problem with this tomtom that I did not find it in my magellan.
here is the problem:
I set my home in Michigan. Every time I enter direction with address and entering ZIP outside michigan (indiana for example), it wont show the city in Indiana and it wont change to another state.
This zip code entering, seems only working within the state we select. If I want to make the city appear, I have to change the state first than the city shows.

it is different with magellan, where ever I am, if I enter the zip code than the state will change automatically acording to the zip code. In this case, I can choose the city within the that state.

does anybody have the same problem ?

what I do now is never choose address form zip code if I have to travel out of my curent state. I choose state, than city ...
but this is waaayyy to long. I wish I could enter the zip code only, and voila ...the state change automatically ....

Hi,
I have annoying problem with this tomtom that I did not find it in my magellan.
here is the problem:
I set my home in Michigan. Every time I enter direction with address and entering ZIP outside Michigan (Indiana for example), it wont show the city in Indiana and it wont change to another state.
<Snip>

When you 'navigate to', then 'zip code', just tap the green state symbol (MI for Michigan). Then 'down arrow' to see the right state. I think the reason TomTom does this is it allows the software to search within your state as a default so that it can be faster.

Hope this helps.

yes, I know it might make it faster to search within database inside the tomtom. but what I wanna do is without tap the green state symbol.
for example, if I enter california zip code than the state would change automatically ... so I dont have to tap "state" than "zip" ...than "city" ...so on ..

When you 'navigate to', then 'zip code', just tap the green state symbol (MI for Michigan). Then 'down arrow' to see the right state. I think the reason TomTom does this is it allows the software to search within your state as a default so that it can be faster.

Hope this helps.

yes, I know it might make it faster to search within database inside the tomtom. but what I wanna do is without tap the green state symbol.
for example, if I enter california zip code than the state would change automatically ... so I dont have to tap "state" than "zip" ...than "city" ...so on ..

I don't have my ONE XL with me at this exact moment, but when I choose "Navigate to", I get a screen with a button I can click to choose the state, BUT the default entry field is "City". If I type in a city name, it gives me a list of several to choose from, in many different states.

So, what is does your first screen look like? Does it ask for "city" input? If so, what happens if you put in the city name instead of the zip?

(Yes, I know that's not what you *want* to do, but what happens if you do it this way?)

I don't have my ONE XL with me at this exact moment, but when I choose "Navigate to", I get a screen with a button I can click to choose the state, BUT the default entry field is "City". If I type in a city name, it gives me a list of several to choose from, in many different states.

So, what is does your first screen look like? Does it ask for "city" input? If so, what happens if you put in the city name instead of the zip?

(Yes, I know that's not what you *want* to do, but what happens if you do it this way?)

I imagine his works the same way. But I'm surprised it doesn't use the same logic with zipcodes as it does with cities, and simply move to correct state. I suspect the programmer for the device simply wasn't/isnt familiar with zipcodes just like I'm not familar with European postal codes.

I hope folks send emails to TomTom Support because I cant help but think it would be a fairly easy SW modification.

Rick

Although for the life of me, personally, I can't imagine knowing a zipcode and not a state ( though if I did know a zipcode it certainly saves doing the city-state combo and actually does give a finer geographic location).

Rick

I imagine his works the same way. But I'm surprised it doesn't use the same logic with zipcodes as it does with cities, and simply move to correct state. I suspect the programmer for the device simply wasn't/isnt familiar with zipcodes just like I'm not familar with European postal codes.

I hope folks send emails to TomTom Support because I cant help but think it would be a fairly easy SW modification.

Rick

Although for the life of me, personally, I can't imagine knowing a zipcode and not a state ( though if I did know a zipcode it certainly saves doing the city-state combo and actually does give a finer geographic location).

Rick

AFAIK, European Postal Codes are much more precise than their US cousins; they allow you to specify exactly what building the address is, so on the GPS unit we used in the UK last summer, postal code was the ONLY thing we needed to enter. ZIP codes don't work like that (although I think the +4 thing was an attempt to do so).

Postcodes are different in each of the European countries. In the UK (where I live) each postcode relates to an area of about 10-15 houses. If it's an office or apartment block the postcode is unique. The beauty of the system (that was invented WAY before sat nav) is that if I'm trying to find an address and all I have is the postcode, with this alone I normally stumble right accross the premises even if it's a new road, or not in the database as an address.

Ask a Question