Help!! I have a One 3rd Edition...

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
I have reset this thing so many times :rant:... I'm ready to throw it out a window :mad:. I have reset it and turned it on and off, I hear the drums I see Tom Tom.. it stays on the legal agreement for a long time then comes to the regular screen. Once I try to put in an address, it only responds to the buttons on the left side: home & whatever the other one is. Please help anyone? Or is it time 2 just get a new one??

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

Well, try this ......

Connect to the computer, make an Explorer, not Home, backup. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and install the application installed. Detach properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Connect again to Home to ensure no further application updates are offered. If so, install. If not, again disconnect from Home. Restart the unit. Any better?

i did the backup on home.. i will try the one on explorer and let you know how it goes.. i didn't do the restore though.
i think i just lost my favorites as well. i'm so stressed out and upset now. i've had this for a few years and it's been good until now. thank you for answering me.

im trying to do the backup in explorer and got up to the part of making a folder after that i don't understand what i'm supposed to be copying. is it everything that's originally in my TT folder (that's labeled Home)?

Your TomTom looks like a disk drive to your OS. Copy the entire "drive" to your PC to a folder of your choice/creation.

dhn provided a link (click on it!) called "How to BACKUP" etc. that explains the procedure.

Well, try this ......

Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

ok it's currently moving everything into the file folder i created. what loose files are you referring to?

Your TomTom looks like a disk drive to your OS. Copy the entire "drive" to your PC to a folder of your choice/creation.

dhn provided a link (click on it!) called "How to BACKUP" etc. that explains the procedure.

i finally got this part.. thanks so much for your assistance :)

Well, try this ......

ok it's currently moving everything into the file folder i created. what loose files are you referring to?
Anything in the root of the 'drive' that is your TomTom, but NONE of the folders you find there.

Examples of files you will find there and delete:

ttsystem, splash.bmp, data.chk.

Anything in the root of the 'drive' that is your TomTom, but NONE of the folders you find there.

ok i deleted the files and reconnected the unit to the computer. new issue: when it asks if i want to connect to the computer and i press yes, nothing is happening. it's like frozen. my touchscreen is not working and that's mainly the problem... smh

ok i deleted the files and reconnected the unit to the computer. new issue: when it asks if i want to connect to the computer and i press yes, nothing is happening. it's like frozen. my touchscreen is not working and that's mainly the problem... smh

finally got it to connect again...

Well, try this ......

Connect to the computer, make an Explorer, not Home, backup. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Connect to Home and install the application installed. Detach properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Connect again to Home to ensure no further application updates are offered. If so, install. If not, again disconnect from Home. Restart the unit. Any better?

ok I finally completed everything but it is still staying stuck on each screen. I'm guessing now all my favorites are gone as well as recent destinations. Any suggestions on how to get those back? It is currently stuck on the navigate to screen and not doing anything. I'm so frustrated with this TomTom... how many hrs I've wasted trying to fix this thing... makes no sense. I appreciate your help as well as canderson.

Hmm.. no reason that (loss of favorites or recent destinations) should happen given what we have suggested. Those things are controlled by a file called mapsettings.cfg in your North_America map folder, and you shouldn't have ever touched any folders, especially that one.

Sounds like you may have a bad touch screen, and the timing was coincidental.

I don't know whether the extreme process of formatting is going to be of any value at this point. Other mods have suggestions?

Hmm.. no reason that (loss of favorites or recent destinations) should happen given what we have suggested. Those things are controlled by a file called mapsettings.cfg in your North_America map folder, and you shouldn't have ever touched any folders, especially that one.

Sounds like you may have a bad touch screen, and the timing was coincidental.

I don't know whether the extreme process of formatting is going to be of any value at this point. Other mods have suggestions?

yeah its stuck on the navigate to screen now over 20 mins. I guess it's just time to get a new unit? Is there any way of fixing the touch screen? I've had it for I think 3 years now and now it's going bad :(

The touch screen can be replaced, but a ONE 3rd is a 2007 model. For the $40 it would probably cost you in the purchase and shipping of the screen, you could make a nice down payment on something newer. However, if the replacement appeals to you, just Google "TomTom ONE" and "LCD" and ''touchscreen" and you will find all kinds of outfits selling them. The replacement process isn't all that difficult if you buy the combined touchscreen/LCD assembly.

thank you sooo much for your help. I appreciate it. I will probably just get a brand new unit. Not sure if to get a TomTom again though.

Ask a Question