Heading to USA and looking for a new sat nav

Hi.
Im going to florida next month and am looking to buy a new sat nav to do it, i like the tom toms but not sure what to do.

I gather new tom toms wont take sd cards, can i buy any tom tom and put usa maps onto it via the tom tom download or do i ahve to have a certain model with higher memory etc? Absolute novice here im afraid so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

You don't say what model you have. Would be helpful to do so.

But, assuming you have a tom tom now, it should be possible to move your existing map to the computer and purchase and download the USA map using Home (assuming you do NOT have a 1X, Via , Start 20 or Go 8X model, you need MyTomTom for them).

When you return from Florida, move the USA map to the computer and copy back your existing map.

You don't say what model you have. Would be helpful to do so.

But, assuming you have a tom tom now, it should be possible to move your existing map to the computer and purchase and download the USA map using Home (assuming you do NOT have a 1X, Via , Start 20 or Go 8X model, you need MyTomTom for them).

When you return from Florida, move the USA map to the computer and copy back your existing map.

The reason i didnt say what model i have is because "iam looking to buy a new one" but not sure what one to go for? The older ones it appears take a memory card, the newer ones dont from what halfords said, but they also said as long as it has the europe maps too - it will have enough memory to take USA too, but they were trying to goad me into a particular sat nav. What model should i look at buying to be the best for the job. I know garmin do one that has usa already on it.

Two of our mods are UK based and hopefully one or both can suggest an appropriate model for your needs.

There are no current model on sale in the UK that have both Europe and US maps - daft isn't it?!?!?

But at last, it is now possible to buy maps for other regions for the new models that connect to MyTomTom instead of Home. (i.e. (GO 1000 series, GO LIVE 800 series, Via series, Start 20 series)

The new Start 20 models DO have an SD card slot, but the software to use it hasn't been released yet.

So for any of the above, you would need to remove the Europe map. This SHOULD be possible in MyTomTom, and you D+SHOULD be able to restore it (by re-downloading it) when you need it back, but I have never seen this in operation yet - it doesn't work on my Go1000,

So unless anyone else can confirm it works, I can't recommend any of them yet.

You might still be able to get one of the Gox50 models (750 - Europe or 950 - Europe and US) from certain retailers, or a restored one from the TT "outlet store.

I went to Florida in September and bought the TT XL 335 with lifetime US and Canada maps from walmart for $140 came home and connected to the PC- it downloads updated maps for the US without issue however will not accept my lifetime maps code here -according to the TT customer services its not valid in the UK but next time I visit America if I enter it there it should be fine!

When I came home I also bought a UK map for £39 so all in all, I have a constantly updated North America map and a UK map (which will be out of date within 3 months or so) - but its not going to change that much in the next 12 months is it! all for around the same price that I would pay for a UK model.

I would do what simong6 suggests, The prices for these in the states are dirt cheap, it only makes sense to buy when you get there , use it and sell it what ever, you don't need anything fancy and you'll be able to pick one with a map of US and CANADA for around $100 US.

Ask a Question