Have TT breached their own terms with map restrictions being handed out?

TomTom Model(s)
520 T
See the threads in TomTom News on this. Basically if you have say a 720 and you bought and paid for a map for the 920 you will no longer now get any support or updates for this, not a map share updates. They are only alowing maps for the designated device which is mad.

I have checked the terms of sale and it would appear TT have breached their own terms. Here is my question to support:

"Sirs

You appear to have breached your own General Terms for Online Sales available at http://www.tomtom.com/legal/?Page=GeneralTCOS by stopping support and updates to the North American 2GB maps I ordered, paid for and installed from you on 21 January 2008.

Specially at the end of Clause 6b it says:

"6) Licence, Copyright & Confidentiality
b) TomTom reserves the right, with or without notice, to discontinue update, upgrade and supplement services provided to you or made available to you through the use of the Software or Content, unless the provision of such updates, upgrades or supplements forms an integral part of the Product, as indicated by TomTom at the time of sale."

Now it is very clear that MapShare updates and support are indeed an integral part of any map and are sold with this representation made to your customers.

Therefore, please remove the restriction you have placed on my Home account regarding this map purchase. A refund is really of little help as I need a Sat Nav unit with both UK and USA maps, which I had quite legally until you made this change.

Sincerely"

They will probably tell me tough sh1t but lets see.

Good luck, and let us know. :) Like I said in another thread, what is the point of adding a SD slot to a unit that cannot play media unless you want to allow additional maps to be added to the unit. If additional maps can be added to the unit, why are you preventing people from spending MORE money to purchase those maps that they want?
Doesn't make any sense to me at all. I'm hoping someone realizes that this is a bone-headed decision, and changes the policy before I'm ready to upgrade my maps...

Yesterday I couldn't update my MapShares (I have NA7.1 on my TTOneV2). I went into mapshare preferences and it didn't show any map available for updating. I immediately wrote tomtom.

I tried hooking up my TTone today. It updated all of my mapshares and now NA is showing as an updatible map.

Is anyone else alright now updating a "non-supported" map?

so those people at tom have decided to swap my nice new North American 2GB map in my account for the crapp USA & Canada map which is half the size, no terrain or POI data worth a salt and they think thats fine.

Well its not fine and I am pissed.

Ask a Question