GPS Receivers

Hey guys,

So I finally got TomTom software and SA maps ported onto my HTC. Now I wanna know, Its kinda retarded to buy a GPS when my phone has all the functionality, just cant search for satellites. Would I be able to buy a normal GPS receiver and use that to grab the GPS satellites, pair it with my phone and use the maps that I have installed on my phone

Are you saying that you have TT Navigator (6 or 7?) running on your HTC (which model) but you can't get the built-in GPS(?) to function?

If so, check settings in Navigator and/or the HTC. On applications like Google Maps installed on PDA's, there are usually settings to tell it to use the internal GPS receiver, or to use external bluetooth receivers.

If you do not have an internal GPS built-in to your HTC, then you should be able to use a small external GPS bluetooth receiver like the ones TomTom themselves were selling for earlier versions of Navigator for PDA's that lacked them.

There are many options out there I have one small receiver similar to the ones that TomTom used to sell (GSat). It works pretty good with my Blackberry (but I cannot put TT Navigator on it and would not want to, as I already have a 920).

Are you saying that you have TT Navigator (6 or 7?) running on your HTC (which model) but you can't get the built-in GPS(?) to function?

If so, check settings in Navigator and/or the HTC. On applications like Google Maps installed on PDA's, there are usually settings to tell it to use the internal GPS receiver, or to use external bluetooth receivers.

If you do not have an internal GPS built-in to your HTC, then you should be able to use a small external GPS bluetooth receiver like the ones TomTom themselves were selling for earlier versions of Navigator for PDA's that lacked them.

There are many options out there I have one small receiver similar to the ones that TomTom used to sell (GSat). It works pretty good with my Blackberry (but I cannot put TT Navigator on it and would not want to, as I already have a 920).

Im using TTNav 6 on an HTC S710. My phone doesnt have an internal GPS, hence I need to receiver... which I've orded, so we'll have to see if it will work. I see under the options that you can select where the GPS is, whether it be internal, TomTom external ariel or an option for Other Bluetooth GPS Receiver... which will probably be the option I need to use

Could you please lemme know where I can buy the TomTom Receivers? Not sure they stocked in South Africa...

I think TomTom uses a re-branded receiver similar (same manufacturer) as the one I have. It was a GlobalSat BT-359, and it looked just like a picture of one of the TomTom Navigator receivers - so I am assuming it was.

I would think any number of receivers will work as long as they are compatible with your HTC.

I haven't much luck using my internal receiver with TomTom. There is a patch (for the VzW Touch Pro) and I've applied it, but no love. Rumor has it that VzW is supposed to be releasing firmware updates in the first half of this year to unlock internal GPS on select PDA phones to work with 3rd party apps -- as of now, they only work with the Vz Navigator product.

At any rate, any bluetooth GPS reciever should work. I've used a Socket, a Pharos, and am now currently using a Emtac Mini s3...no problems at all. On my Touch Pro and my old Treo, TomTom would turn on the bluetooth (if it was deactivated) and connect to the GPS on startup.

Can't Get TomTom v5 to recognize GPS puck on T-mobile MDA

I've paired my T-mobile MDA (Windows Mobile 5 based smart phone) successfully with a telenav Bluetooth receiver, but I cannot get TomTom version 5 to recognize the receiver. Tom Tom ran well with a Hollux GP Slim 236 receiver and this phone until the Hollux receiver broke.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Per one of the posts above, have you checked settings on the device and/or in Nav 5 (if it has any). Also, are you sure your receiver is working Ok with your device (as with Google maps, etc.) ?

Ask a Question