GPS Fix

TomTom Model(s)
How long should it take to get an initial fix from GPS (TOMTOM 720). It takes about 2 - 3 minutes to get a fix. I believe that it used to get a fix much quicker but has slowed down over time (this could be my imagination thought). Thanks for the help.

Jason

Don't know what it should be but by the time I drive out of the garage there are usually 9 to 11 satellites shown. Sitting here at the desk it alternates between 11 and 12.

QuickGPSFix

Connect your TT to your computer every 7 days and get satellite location predictions for the next week.
Then for the next 7 days you can get faster (15 second) connections.

Computer Predictions

Will this update come down with the "normal" TOMTOM home updates or do I have to down load these files extra?

Thanks Jason

QuickGPSFix

Connect your TT to your computer every 7 days and get satellite location predictions for the next week.

I dunno about you folks, but SOMETIMES, it seems like the TT servers are on tranquilizers and cough syrup.

It'll sit there for a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnng time waiting to find the "latest updates" including the GPS fix stuff (TomTOm HOme is, of course, what I am referring to).

I get my satellites inside my house, within 15-30 seconds of the 720 getting to the driving screen. In the car it's even faster. I'm getting the GPSfix regularly when I connect the unit to the computer . I'm sure that helps.

I started having that slowdown day before yesterday Grumpy....normally would get the downloads pretty quick......within a minute of starting it up with TT Home set to be logged in all the time.
All of a sudden it started trying to find them and then bringing up an "abort" button and stopping. Tried a few times and got the same thing.

I re-started the computer and it all went back to normal. No idea what caused it. You're ISP or connection could be causing the slowness too. Some DSL or Dial-Up are definitely slower when more users are on.

Bob

I dunno about you folks, but SOMETIMES, it seems like the TT servers are on tranquilizers and cough syrup.

It'll sit there for a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnng time waiting to find the "latest updates" including the GPS fix stuff (TomTOm HOme is, of course, what I am referring to).

Someone here (I don't remember who now) said that if you minimize the TTH window while it's looking for updates it finds them much faster. I tried it and it works! I don't know if it's my imagination or if it really works but it sure seems to. So much, in fact, that I do it every time now. It may be the old "watched pot never boils" thing but I swear it's faster.

Someone here (I don't remember who now) said that if you minimize the TTH window while it's looking for updates it finds them much faster. I tried it and it works! I don't know if it's my imagination or if it really works but it sure seems to. So much, in fact, that I do it every time now. It may be the old "watched pot never boils" thing but I swear it's faster.

Now that you mention it, I believe that to be true. Last time i minimized the window, forgot about it for a moment, then opened it up and the updates were waiting.

Another "undocumented feature" of TT Home....:D

QuickGPSFix

If I only connected my TT to my computer every 7 days the battery would be dead!

Ask a Question